Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw I like the yoke so much that I find a round steering wheel bulky and obsolete…lol call me pretentious.
I like the yoke a LOT more since the turn signal changes. That said, low-speed maneuvers still have me grasping at air when turning the wheel a ton. Also, it makes it harder to grab the yoke when using AutoPark when I get nervous it's going to hit the curb. :D

They really should have made the yoke control by wire, so the sensitivity could be adjusted for the current vehicle speed.

That way you wouldn't have to reposition your hands to make a sharp turn on the parking lot.

I do realise that there might be some rules and regulations that prohibit this kind of steer-by-wire.

Never the less, they claim that the upcoming Toyota BEV will have this.

So, let me just start by saying I am a huge Tesla fanboy. Ive owned the stock for several years, Have a MYP right now, and think its a product which is completely in its own class. That being said, I had the opportunity to drive my friend's brand new Model S Plaid today after we went to a brewery and he had too much to drink and I had nothing. The car is insanely fast, good size, nice fit and finish (his was really well built compared to most) and an awesome Blue on Cream color combo.

HOWEVER - IMNSHO the yoke is terrible. I drove from over by Bastrop to closer to my home in Burnet county (Across central Austin TX) with a couple of stops, and I am completely turned off by it. I understand the fascination and that Elon thinks its 'cool' and is great when youre self driving, blah blah blah. We need the option for the stalks and wheel. I dont give a crap what it does to in front of driver visibility. Its terrible. I hit the turn signals on accident, had a very bad experience in an IN-&-OUT drivethrough, its stupid to park and just generally unnecessary. I went in thinking it might be ok, but having driven it even on straight roads I want the option. In fact, I have a Cybertruck on order and if theres no steering wheel Ill be cancelling it.

Edit: I guess I should probably footnote this with - I dont know why I should buy something I hate like the yoke when Ford, Rivian, etc etc are going to offer a nice conventional steering wheel I dont feel like is going to be a safety hazard. Sorry Tesla, this is the first ever thing youve done I dont agree with.

My 2c,
J

Last edited:
So, let me just start by saying I am a huge Tesla fanboy. Ive owned the stock for several years, Have a MYP right now, and think its a product which is completely in its own class. That being said, I had the opportunity to drive my friend's brand new Model S Plaid today after we went to a brewery and he had too much to drink and I had nothing. The car is insanely fast, good size, nice fit and finish (his was really well built compared to most) and an awesome Blue on Cream color combo.

HOWEVER - IMNSHO the yoke is terrible. I drove from over by Bastrop to closer to my home in Burnet county (Across central Austin TX) with a couple of stops, and I am completely turned off by it. I understand the fascination and that Elon thinks its 'cool' and is great when youre self driving, blah blah blah. We need the option for the stalks and wheel. I dont give a crap what it does to in front of driver visibility. Its terrible. I hit the turn signals on accident, had a very bad experience in an IN-&-OUT drivethrough, its stupid to park and just generally unnecessary. I went in thinking it might be ok, but having driven it even on straight roads I want the option. In fact, I have a Cybertruck on order and if theres no steering wheel Ill be cancelling it.

My 2c,
J
How does the owner like it?

Here are some quotes from Toyota regarding their yoke wheel on their SUV bZ4X vehicle. "Toyota has unveiled a steering wheel similar to Tesla’s “yoke” steering wheel in its first electric SUV, but the automaker has introduced an important feature that fixes the main problem of the Tesla yoke. The yoke arrived with an electronic steer-by-wire system that will, in fact, alter the steering ratio as needed. Toyota indicated that lock-to-lock, the yoke will only need to be turned 150 degrees—far less that the three complete turns usually required in cars today. Ss drivers will not have to take their hands off of the yoke in order to turn." Also buyers can order the vehicle with the yoke or a traditional steering wheel and the horn button on both wheels is on the center of the wheel. And the stalks for turn signals, wipers, etc. are still there with either wheel. So why can't Tesla wise up and give folks this option. Then everyone is happy and Tesla won't lose buyers to other manufactures that give them a choice.

Steer by wire sounds terrible to me, but bravo Toyota for at least trying to do a yoke correctly, and making it optional!
Agreed. If Tesla would just back down from the yoke and do stalks/wheel Model Y/3 style I would have bought a plaid. Its all about choice, and apparently Tesla thinks they know better on this one. I feel the same way about the ridiculous falcon wing doors, the reason I have Model Y rather than an X.

I just drove my wife's car with a steering wheel after 4k miles with the yoke and found it awkward and requiring a lot more effort to do steep turns. If you don't have the yoke, I'd hold your comments. You you do, give it a chance! If you're like me, you'll like it more in time.
Ryan, with all due respect, you are not the target market. The yoke is GREAT is you have FSD that actually works and are concentrating on the road all the time you're driving. BUT - Tesla is putting this in the Model X and the Cybertruck, which are not going to be driven by people like "us" - they are going to be driven by people who have been in regular cars. I say to those people, one panic situation where they cant find the horn, turn signal, or grab the wheel on top to try to evade an oncoming crash, it will only take one to really make a mess even with all the Tesla active safety aids.

Anyway, all people are asking for is the option to NOT have the yoke. Charge me an extra $1000 for it, Id pay it. Tesla is missing sales right now - lots of them - because they have told people unequivocally 'we are smarter than you.' Now, this may be true, but American consumers, especially those in the middle of the country, dont do well being told what they do and dont want.

Just sayin
J

Ryan, with all due respect, you are not the target market. The yoke is GREAT is you have FSD that actually works and are concentrating on the road all the time you're driving. BUT - Tesla is putting this in the Model X and the Cybertruck, which are not going to be driven by people like "us" - they are going to be driven by people who have been in regular cars. I say to those people, one panic situation where they cant find the horn, turn signal, or grab the wheel on top to try to evade an oncoming crash, it will only take one to really make a mess even with all the Tesla active safety aids.

Anyway, all people are asking for is the option to NOT have the yoke. Charge me an extra $1000 for it, Id pay it. Tesla is missing sales right now - lots of them - because they have told people unequivocally 'we are smarter than you.' Now, this may be true, but American consumers, especially those in the middle of the country, dont do well being told what they do and dont want.

Just sayin
J

I see what you're saying, but in time the yoke is actually easier. Regarding missing sales, the waiting list extending out almost a year says otherwise :)

But you read on here and on other sites where there are many folks who are going to other EV's due to the yoke. Even had a person on here changed their mind and decided against buying the Tesla due to the yoke and put a deposit on a Lucid Air. Having a choice is a good thing that way Tesla would attract all folks, not jut the ones who like the yoke and I am sure there are just as many who would like a regular wheel over the yoke. Again, Toyota most likely learned from Tesla and the yoke complaints and are giving their customers a choice and also designed their yoke like a race car where you don't have to turn it very far to make a 90 degree turn, so your hands never have to leave the yoke in a turn, it's by wire. Also the horn is in the center where 99% of the people are used to it, sane with the turn signal, high beam, etc stalks.

I see what you're saying, but in time the yoke is actually easier. Regarding missing sales, the waiting list extending out almost a year says otherwise :)
Maybe - but I think the Tesla 'fanboys' would truly buy *anything* Elon Musk and Tesla says is cool and the future of motoring. These kinds of things are not easy to overcome. I think the shift to electric vehicles is going to be tough and take a long time, and if Tesla really wants mainstream adoption they need to stop changing stuff and go steady state for a while. The shift from a regular car to a model 3/Y is hard enough - a big screen, no dials in front of you, limited controls for anything else, quite the adjustment. Now, you may argue that this is not that big of a deal, but go look in ANY other car - ICE or otherwise - and you'll see what I mean. I looked at a Hyundai Ioniq and the KIA alternative at the Electrify Expo show in Austin last weekend, and for better or worse, those are MUCH more conventional cars inside - buttons everywhere and a regular wheel - and their conventional-ness will make it much easier for people to leave whatever they are driving right now and drop right into an EV. This is not the case with new Teslas.

My whole point is that the yoke and the minimalist interiors might well be the future, but they are costing Tesla right now. Furthermore, the supply chain is so B0rk3d right now that I don't think we can take the current backlog as any indication of the performance of the company regardless of the yoke.

Im pleased you like yours, makes me think there might be some hope. Im not sure you're in the majority, lots of mixed reviews out there. I will hold out until my Model Y falls apart I think.

My 15c, :D
J

Had the car for a little under two months. I dont mind the yoke but still prefer a ronud wheel like in my f150.

What i will NEVER get used to or agree on is teh stupid signals and horn on the steering wheel. This by far the dumbest design ever, and i hope tesla gets slapped with a HUGE recall and fix this.

Today, i was behind a cop, and i as i was turning i accidently hit the freaking horn (being that it is mega sensitive to touch). lets put it thsi way, the cop didnt appreciate it despite me appologizing and followed me for a few miles until breaking off.

Also, if note that the stupid horn is no ONE SIDE of the wheel, meaning you can really only use your right hand to hit it, versus in the centre. And the signals, i find myself sometimes not signalling because i had the wheel turned and couldnt find the right button.

I cant believe the allowed the horn and signals be a touch button.