Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke steering confirmed variable-ratio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think thats a problem. They've even got physical buttons for drive, reverse etc. Maybe thats a mandatory thing
This video helps explain things, looks like a scroll on the left of the touchscreen for drive to reverse, so not much different than a stalk, and I suppose you can click off the signal (left or right) with your left thumb only. See about 18 minutes in for steering wheel / UI info.

That's one of the things Brooks from Drag Times points out in his launch party video. He sits in the seat and actually turns the wheel from lock to lock and it looks incredibly labored and cumbersome and that's at a complete stop. I can't imagine this being a good idea at all in use and it seems like an absolute nightmare to use in cities.

I won't be buying one and after a few fiery low-speed accidents because people weren't properly able to navigate a typical 90deg turn they may change their mind on this stupid yoke idea. I really didn't envision this making it to production but... here we are.

I won't own one of these until I can put a conventional circular wheel on it. I can live with the lack of stalks which seems equally terrible of an idea but at least the safety implications aren't as immediately apparent to anyone who's even driven an automobile anywhere other than a straight line before.

I'm continually amazed at the delta between the insanely great ideas Tesla has implemented juxtaposed to the incredibly asinine ideas they've implemented during this types of events.

You've represented my thoughts exactly. I love my 2016 S and I was so looking forward to the next refresh. But I don't think I can do it like this. Even with the round wheel, the loss of stalks might be a deal breaker for me. I think that, if nothing else, eventually an aftermarket wheel will emerge or Tesla will cave and give us the option, but even then I can't in good conscience buy this car. I can't support these awful design decisions.

You've represented my thoughts exactly. I love my 2016 S and I was so looking forward to the next refresh. But I don't think I can do it like this. Even with the round wheel, the loss of stalks might be a deal breaker for me. I think that, if nothing else, eventually an aftermarket wheel will emerge or Tesla will cave and give us the option, but even then I can't in good conscience buy this car. I can't support these awful design decisions.
I think a type of snap on the top is more realistic. Make it a full square. 😂 There is still hope LR will offer a full wheel from some. I doubt it tho.

Elon did say the car will read your mind, and know if you want to change lanes or not. ;)

Actually this level of automation kind of scares me; I want to be in control, and make the decisions, I don't want to car to "predict" the functions of the controls for me.

Maybe I want to move backwards closer to the wall in my garage when I first get in the vehicle, instead of driving forward out of the garage, will it even let me?
The user manual refers to the automatic gear section feature as being "Beta" (like AutoPilot) and says it is OFF by default. You have to overtly turn it on.

This video helps explain things, looks like a scroll on the left of the touchscreen for drive to reverse, so not much different than a stalk, and I suppose you can click off the signal (left or right) with your left thumb only. See about 18 minutes in for steering wheel / UI info.

Doesn't it seem odd and contrary to expectations that the "swipe" direction is DOWN for reverse and UP for Dive? that is the opposite of what you do with the current gear lever, in both Teslas and in pretty much every other car with an automatic transmission! It seems odd that they chose to go opposite to convention.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Doesn't it seem odd and contrary to expectations that the "swipe" direction is DOWN for reverse and UP for Dive? that is the opposite of what you do with the current gear lever, in both Teslas and in pretty much every other car with an automatic transmission! It seems odd that they chose to go opposite to convention.
I think it's more natural actually. Up for forward, down for reverse. It matches the birds eye view of the car

I won't own one of these until I can put a conventional circular wheel on it. I can live with the lack of stalks which seems equally terrible of an idea but at least the safety implications aren't as immediately apparent to anyone who's even driven an automobile anywhere other than a straight line before.

If it's really just the lack of a round steering wheel, send your factory yoke to a steering wheel shop, and they'll put a round wheel of your specification on the stock yoke with your choice of materials and stitching for probably around $1000. At $130K for the car, that's not a lot dough to fix what you see as a huge problem.

This shop did a custom job on my Lambo steering wheel, and they often completely redo the shape of steering wheels, so it's not hard for them:

There's plenty of other custom steering wheel companies that do the same thing. When you are ready to sell, you'll easily be able to find someone that will swap wheels with you plus cash.

But if you are just using the yoke to cover for another reason that you aren't getting the car, please ignore me. I often miss that.

People did not like the latest Corvette steering wheel as it was not "circular enough". I recall the chief engineer was not originally a fan and had to be convinced.
Change is hard and hopefully the PROs & CONs have been considered. Would it be cheaper to make?