Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke steering wheel MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok installed people! Wow love it!
Yoke and screen :) totally changes the feel and makes it more S like now!

Yoke took about 8-10 turns to feel comfortable with it and voila. Having normal stalks made transition so easy as you’re only having to deal with focusing on the yoke and not buttons etc.
I will say imo anyway, the yoke is easier and more relaxing on straight roads than a wheel but a bit more hand engaged during turns. So its a trade off. Eventually I see myself getting used to the turns as well. It’s only been the first drive and it was abt 75% highway to get home from the installer so could feel how nice it was just cruising. My arms naturally found their comfort zone.

Yes heating is identically hot as oem wheel :)
And apple carplay a bonus! This now makes the speed and info on the main display utterly useless. Could just have a full navi screen as in model S/X. Tesla could have easily done this and added 3-400 to the purchase price. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Impressed after 30 min …💪🏽💪🏽
5C0B6B9A-1083-4B2C-A3D5-9DB52CAE2B68.jpeg
5ACA82D5-96C4-4DB0-887B-5310DDFC9204.jpeg
6DE37EED-CB37-423E-94F6-E73C99B3B74A.jpeg
DFF2F952-CDA0-4B96-AD90-4E474EB65462.jpeg

I hope you will never get into an accident that it needs the airbag. The airbag was designed with a circular wheel supporting it. Imagine what your head is gonna do with the airbag when the airbag just flops over your cool looking yoke wheel.

Ok installed people! Wow love it!
Yoke and screen :) totally changes the feel and makes it more S like now!

Yoke took about 8-10 turns to feel comfortable with it and voila. Having normal stalks made transition so easy as you’re only having to deal with focusing on the yoke and not buttons etc.
I will say imo anyway, the yoke is easier and more relaxing on straight roads than a wheel but a bit more hand engaged during turns. So its a trade off. Eventually I see myself getting used to the turns as well. It’s only been the first drive and it was abt 75% highway to get home from the installer so could feel how nice it was just cruising. My arms naturally found their comfort zone.

Yes heating is identically hot as oem wheel :)
And apple carplay a bonus! This now makes the speed and info on the main display utterly useless. Could just have a full navi screen as in model S/X. Tesla could have easily done this and added 3-400 to the purchase price. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Impressed after 30 min …💪🏽💪🏽View attachment 786394View attachment 786395View attachment 786396View attachment 786398
Ok guys I’ve now had 5 days with the new yoke and I can provide an update:

1. It is functionally inferior to a wheel. Simple maneuvers like turning around or parking which requires a few extra adjustments to how your arms move around…not pleasant. Found a slight soreness in my front delt and shoulder last few days and tying it to how I feel after driving all day. Very slight but it’s there.

2. Turning left turns mostly always requires 2 hands unless you want to angle your one hand slightly or palm it which I find a bit less safe to execute.tighter right turns as well. I tend to take turns slower now which sucks in a car like the M3 which has incredible handling. I’m not engaging the car as much.

3. Straight road driving is just fine as is highway. Better? No. The same as having a wheel. No advantage here and i use autopilot anyway mostly.

4. Muscles have to relearn to move in concert with a different angled product and I started to feel different shoulder and forearm soreness (very slight) after driving around all day. Those odd turns requiring the arms to move in different patterns vs a wheel do make one steer differently and make your arms cross in ways they never did. For me ohh…around 30 yrs worth of relearning there :)

5. Stalks are fine. But with a wheel the circular part on the sides is closer to the stalk so easier to engage the signal or wiper with a simple finger flick. With the yoke, I found the side grips are about .5” more outward than where the circular part would be…thus requiring the finger to activate the stalk is a bit more of a stretch. nothing major but did notice it within a few days as it’s not as quick to engage and change gears without conscious thougt.

Overall I’m going to stay with it for about a month before any final judgements, but overall I’m a bit more neutral now on whether this is even necessary. Looks department it’s fabulous lol. Practicality? 🙄

Because of having to think about one’s next move constantly on an upcoming turn (even a bit of extra thought) in terms of ‘which hand this time, where will my arm go on this turn, will I grab it properly coming out of ‘…all these factors make driving the car a bit less enjoyable to be honest. I’ve pushed the pedal down less and actually refrained from any sharper turns or moves as it’s just a tad more difficult to think about it at the same time.
Not fun for me.

Wife has also spoken. She thinks it’s a solution to a problem no one ever had and in typical wifely fashion: ‘The Perf Y coming, don’t you dare touch it. Leave it alone I like my wheel as it is…this yoke thing is a waste of time and money. And don’t install a cheap China front screen. It looks odd and doesn’t keep the front clean. Don’t forget to pick up eggs and juice on the way home…oh and kids have soccer tonite and it’s garbage day tomorrow so don’t forget to put everything out tonite. Dinners at 6.. ‘
🤦🏽‍♂️

Somehow she just slipped in her views in the middle of daily life lol. That’s how much she cares either way. Interesting female perspective. I happen to agree. I wouldn’t do it again. And if I’m a month I dont feel any better about it, I’ll go back to my solid, tried tested and true wheel. Maybe I’ll launch the car again lol.

Any other yoke owners please feel free to comment…or anyone really lol.

Ok guys I’ve now had 5 days with the new yoke and I can provide an update:

1. It is functionally inferior to a wheel. Simple maneuvers like turning around or parking which requires a few extra adjustments to how your arms move around…not pleasant. Found a slight soreness in my front delt and shoulder last few days and tying it to how I feel after driving all day. Very slight but it’s there.

2. Turning left turns mostly always requires 2 hands unless you want to angle your one hand slightly or palm it which I find a bit less safe to execute.tighter right turns as well. I tend to take turns slower now which sucks in a car like the M3 which has incredible handling. I’m not engaging the car as much.

3. Straight road driving is just fine as is highway. Better? No. The same as having a wheel. No advantage here and i use autopilot anyway mostly.

4. Muscles have to relearn to move in concert with a different angled product and I started to feel different shoulder and forearm soreness (very slight) after driving around all day. Those odd turns requiring the arms to move in different patterns vs a wheel do make one steer differently and make your arms cross in ways they never did. For me ohh…around 30 yrs worth of relearning there :)

5. Stalks are fine. But with a wheel the circular part on the sides is closer to the stalk so easier to engage the signal or wiper with a simple finger flick. With the yoke, I found the side grips are about .5” more outward than where the circular part would be…thus requiring the finger to activate the stalk is a bit more of a stretch. nothing major but did notice it within a few days as it’s not as quick to engage and change gears without conscious thougt.

Overall I’m going to stay with it for about a month before any final judgements, but overall I’m a bit more neutral now on whether this is even necessary. Looks department it’s fabulous lol. Practicality? 🙄

Because of having to think about one’s next move constantly on an upcoming turn (even a bit of extra thought) in terms of ‘which hand this time, where will my arm go on this turn, will I grab it properly coming out of ‘…all these factors make driving the car a bit less enjoyable to be honest. I’ve pushed the pedal down less and actually refrained from any sharper turns or moves as it’s just a tad more difficult to think about it at the same time.
Not fun for me.

Wife has also spoken. She thinks it’s a solution to a problem no one ever had and in typical wifely fashion: ‘The Perf Y coming, don’t you dare touch it. Leave it alone I like my wheel as it is…this yoke thing is a waste of time and money. And don’t install a cheap China front screen. It looks odd and doesn’t keep the front clean. Don’t forget to pick up eggs and juice on the way home…oh and kids have soccer tonite and it’s garbage day tomorrow so don’t forget to put everything out tonite. Dinners at 6.. ‘
🤦🏽‍♂️

Somehow she just slipped in her views in the middle of daily life lol. That’s how much she cares either way. Interesting female perspective. I happen to agree. I wouldn’t do it again. And if I’m a month I dont feel any better about it, I’ll go back to my solid, tried tested and true wheel. Maybe I’ll launch the car again lol.

Any other yoke owners please feel free to comment…or anyone really lol.
Ok a month in. I like it and keeping the yoke.
The aforementioned adjustment issues are now gone. I can drive the car second nature now and I have adapted to the yoke just fine :)

And it looks amazing lol.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Perhaps not ALL. but just check out the S forums. Lots of complaining. Many think it's not only horrific looking, but dangerous in emergency situations, as well.
You only hear from some vocal people who hate it and cannot tolerate change/adaptation which are far and few between if you ask me. I would not have it any other way, love the yoke on the S and this was from day 1 after delivery. May even go this route on the Y. There are a bunch of other cars coming out with yokes by the way. Here is one 2023 Lexus RZ Will Offer Yoke-Style Steering Wheel in the U.S.

Nice. Now you need something like Hansshow’s new Linux 9” instrument display + apple CarPlay/android auto screen which sit behind the yoke.
I beg to differ. I had one for a month and sold it. Didn’t use car play much and the Navi’s don’t synch…quite annoying actually.
If the 2 navi screens were synched up then yes decent.

Found it just clutters the clean ambiance.

You only hear from some vocal people who hate it and cannot tolerate change/adaptation which are far and few between if you ask me. I would not have it any other way, love the yoke on the S and this was from day 1 after delivery. May even go this route on the Y. There are a bunch of other cars coming out with yokes by the way. Here is one 2023 Lexus RZ Will Offer Yoke-Style Steering Wheel in the U.S.
Or maybe some people actually tried it, truly hate it and find it worse. The problem with something like this is that it is a significant departure from the controls in every other car on the road. If you make a change that is a pretty radical departure and then takes a month to get used to It’s bound to cause problems and I think patently dismissing those with complaints is a bit close minded.

I’ve never tried it but my biggest concern is not the yoke itself but the absence of the turn signal stalk. (I didn’t see if the Lexus would have that or not.)