Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biggest question is how it will feel in general day to day driving - would love a few more videos from our amazing Plaid early delivery folks (you are always amazing to give us poor followers something to see whilst we are waiting) that take us on a daily drive to the coffee shop :).

And sure Autopiliot will be a big part of the future. But for now just general day to day is the biggest uncertainty for people considering the new Model S

Reactions: 1stEVSm3mY
Heard people worried about the yoke and ‘enthusiastic’ driving. I think that is where it makes the most sense. Parking lots is my worry, but not much given the low speed. At PIR I could drive the whole lap (including chicane) without moving my left hand on the wheel, naturally manual transmission. Here is a video (not me) showing a lap:

Here is my latest video on getting acclimated to the yoke. Less than 72 hrs, but feeling more comfortable with it and the turn signals...

Thanks for the great demonstration.

With a full circle wheel, after a turn, I just let it recoils back and I let it spins back under my single hand (optionally 2 hands) and grab any part of the full circle wheel to control the spinning speed as needed.

I assume it's possible to do that with the yoke too but we'll just need to learn how to let it springs back and catch half of the circle as it's spinning back.

Most folks that learned to drive correctly typically only use the 9 and 3 o'clock positions anyway, and usually turn assisted by gripping the flat underside of the steering wheel. So the top part of the wheel now "missing" shouldn't really make a difference.

Of course, there's those that grip the steering wheel incorrectly for safe and secure driving by default, and those might have a harder time adapting to the yoke. But that should really be only a matter of a few hours (if that much).

Now I wish they would offer a joystick on the center console like that of an F-16 fighter jet for steering. That might take a little while longer getting used to. ;)

How is the yoke for driving in reverse, like backing into/out of a parking spot or parallel parking, when you are turned around looking behind you and not at the wheel? My state driver's manual states you're supposed to grab the top of the wheel when in reverse, so you can steer the car with one hand (the other is wrapped behind the passenger seat to help you turn to see out the back window).

A yoke is best suited for vehicles that only need 90 degrees of yoke movement left or right (so 1/2 turn lock-lock). That's all aircraft yokes turn. From the videos above, it looks like Tesla did not reduce the number of turns lock-lock needed to make a yoke style control useful for street driving.

Reactions: David29
A yoke is best suited for vehicles that only need 90 degrees of yoke movement left or right (so 1/2 turn lock-lock). That's all aircraft yokes turn. From the videos above, it looks like Tesla did not reduce the number of turns lock-lock needed to make a yoke style control useful for street driving.
Nope and that's the problem.

Here is my latest video on getting acclimated to the yoke. Less than 72 hrs, but feeling more comfortable with it and the turn signals:

Cool vid. You're right it won't be for everyone, but really...nothing to see here Basically, what you are saying is that someone who tried it says it's OK for reasons that are obvious once you've actually tried it...and a bunch of angry people on the internet who have no idea what they are talking about say it will never work. Sounds similar to radar gate. Still be lots who say 'deal breaker' before touching one though. I say, looks fun, why not make driving fun!

Here is my latest video on getting acclimated to the yoke. Less than 72 hrs, but feeling more comfortable with it and the turn signals:

Only thing I foresee negative besides adapting is the extra wear likely the yoke will receive due to added pressure being placed on certain parts of the wheel as compared to a traditional steering wheel.