Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...To be fair, it was always going to be changed. The plan going into it was to try out both...

It's true that I am not familiar with how the racing world works but the reports keep coming in:

"In addition to a racing interior that includes a roll cage, the most visible novelty is the replacement of the previous steering wheel with a conventional circular ring, as it is more practical for driving."

As of Day 3 Pikes Peak, the 6/23/2021 videos still show the round steering wheel, and the yoke is no longer shown.

Previous day, day 2 on 6/22/2021 shows the same round steering wheel:

1624517354482.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusMako
Reading all of these posts on the yolk style steering wheel…well I wish I could drive a plaid mS for like a month to really try it out. I will not knock it down without trying ( and trying means to use it more than once or twice and in diff situation). I remember everyone discussing how unnatural and “dangerous” it was to display the speed at like 50 font size on the left side of the 15 inch monitor. I thought that was a joke…. My 2009 Toyota Yaris has the speedometer and so on right in the middle part of the dash so I always had to do a less than a microsecond glance to look at my speed. Again, seems like a lot of people knocking down things just because people are used to a particular approach without really experiencing. I want To hear specifically from those 25 or so mS plaid owners in about a month or more once they have spent time in their cars! if you don’t at least have people willing to try new things, you keep on going with the same ol‘ and never improve or innovate. Tesla has taught me one thing….to try and be open to new things and approaches.

What reports? You're quoting a writer offering their opinion without having actually tried using the yoke. Everything is novel at one time, including EVs and touchscreen driven UI, and attracts no shortage of naysayers. If you read through the delivery thread and see the posts of folks that are starting to take delivery and actually using the yoke, everything I have seen is some version of "its kinda weird, but I got used to it."

It's true that I am not familiar with how the racing world works but the reports keep coming in:

"In addition to a racing interior that includes a roll cage, the most visible novelty is the replacement of the previous steering wheel with a conventional circular ring, as it is more practical for driving."

As of Day 3 Pikes Peak, the 6/23/2021 videos still show the round steering wheel, and the yoke is no longer shown.

Previous day, day 2 on 6/22/2021 shows the same round steering wheel:

View attachment 677066
It’s fairly obvious a race car driver who needs to perform a race is not going to spend the time to “relearn” how to use the wheel. This makes perfect sense to me given the circumstance. But hey, that’s me… No need to judge something that I don’t have the actual experience on.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
@omarsultan did you get the hang of the new underhand approach you described? Looking forward to another video! Thx!
I did--I need to find some time to shoot video. I have been using it for the last couple of days. I'll be honest--I totally get it is safer than hand-over-hand, but not sure if I will stick with it. But, think the important thing is folks will have a choice. I'll try and get a video out before the weekend.

Reactions: n1h1 and hcdavis3
I have gotten a couple of questions about palming the yoke and it is totally palmable. The material on the yoke is great--grippy but not too grippy, so palming works well. I typically drive with the steering set to "standard" -- setting it to "comfort" probably makes palming easier.

Reactions: DWtsn
I have gotten a couple of questions about palming the yoke and it is totally palmable. The material on the yoke is great--grippy but not too grippy, so palming works well. I typically drive with the steering set to "standard" -- setting it to "comfort" probably makes palming easier.

So it's doable. But do you like it better than a round steering wheel? If you had the option to switch now (say, for free), would you?

So it's doable. But do you like it better than a round steering wheel? If you had the option to switch now (say, for free), would you?
I'd stick with the yoke. Functionally, they are a wash right now--after two weeks, I hardly think about about the yoke anymore--can drive pretty much like I used to with the round wheel (one handed, palming turns, etc). I give the yoke the edge because I like the look -- much cleaner with only the yoke and no stalks. Without the top half of the wheel, the IC display looks more open--not sure if the designers will do anything with the extra space, but it certainly looks visually less cramped than my wife's Model X.

Before taking delivery I had concerns the yoke and no-stalk thing were putting form ahead of function, but that hasn't proven to be the case, for me, at least.

I'd stick with the yoke. Functionally, they are a wash right now--after two weeks, I hardly think about about the yoke anymore--can drive pretty much like I used to with the round wheel (one handed, palming turns, etc). I give the yoke the edge because I like the look -- much cleaner with only the yoke and no stalks. Without the top half of the wheel, the IC display looks more open--not sure if the designers will do anything with the extra space, but it certainly looks visually less cramped than my wife's Model X.

Before taking delivery I had concerns the yoke and no-stalk thing were putting form ahead of function, but that hasn't proven to be the case, for me, at least.
This is good news. Keep it coming. Post the link of your video if you get to it later.

Reactions: hcdavis3
No--there is a button to the right of the airbag, of if you cover all the button on the right side of the airbag, it will also sound the horn
I was relieved when I heard about that. I was fine with all stalkless changes except for the impossibly small horn button. I hope they can add the same cover all buttons horn feature to the left side of the yoke.

Yoke Adventures 4 is out - quick demos of shuffle steering, going through a traffic circle (with turn signals) and parallel parking

Thanks for posting Omar, it seems you are getting more comfortable with the yoke. For me, it's a no. Even if I get comfortable after a while I won't be able to confidently loan the car to family members. Hoping a wheel with stalks is offered soon.

Yoke Adventures 4 is out - quick demos of shuffle steering, going through a traffic circle (with turn signals) and parallel parking

What's interesting is that if I mute your commentary and just watch, it looks like someone struggling and just trying to make a bad idea work.