Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Wheel in Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
unlike popular opinion, I still trust Elon and Tesla to not mess up the basic driving element. I think the yoke steeling wheel may not be as bad as people thought.

Just look at this video on how the driver effortlessly drive the cybertruck with the yoke steering wheel, making one-handed 180-degree turn more than once etc, while taking to the passengers.

By the way, the proper driving position is with hands on 3 and 9 o’clock, and never rest your hand on top. When making regular turns on the road, you are not supposed to change hands’ position. Therefore, I believe that the yoke wheel would be perfectly fine once people get used to it.

...get used to it.

No doubt that human is adaptable.

Notice that the left hand was supposed to be at the position 9 o'clock was adapted crookedly to grab the right side 3 o'clock yoke in expectation of a left turn. When the yoke straightens back, the right hand was adaptable to grab on the remaining side of the yoke to control the speed of the spinning.

With a full circle wheel, I could easily control it with one single finger or 1 single-hand.

When the steering wheel spins back too quickly, I could let it slide under my hand and hand brake it easily without moving my other hand to catch which side of the yoke.

Same with 1 finger. I can lock my finger at the corner of the crossbar and inside the diameter of the wheel. I can move it between either the lower half of the circle or the upper half of the circle and the corner to lock my finger is still there with a full circle. Not true when the upper half-circle is missing from the yoke.

There's a price in adaptation. The price is fair if we want to be in a very specialty like racing in a closed course race track. It's a closed course, the maximum that they drive is within that racetrack and not the whole city.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
unlike popular opinion, I still trust Elon and Tesla to not mess up the basic driving element. I think the yoke steeling wheel may not be as bad as people thought.

Just look at this video on how the driver effortlessly drive the cybertruck with the yoke steering wheel, making one-handed 180-degree turn more than once etc, while taking to the passengers.

By the way, the proper driving position is with hands on 3 and 9 o’clock, and never rest your hand on top. When making regular turns on the road, you are not supposed to change hands’ position. Therefore, I believe that the yoke wheel would be perfectly fine once people get used to it.

The position you quote as the best is questionable. But, aside from the argument over 10&2 or 9&3 this dude is crossing his arms during turns which is a no-no. Airbag deploys and BAM ... torn rotator cuff at best, dislocated or broken shoulders at worst! If Elon wants an aircraft wheel, he must INCREASE the turning radius of the wheel ... i.e., little steering turning radius for sharper turning of the vehicle.

this dude is crossing his arms during turns which is a no-no

Another issue with the yoke is that I was taught and have grown accustomed to driving with my thumbs outside the wheel and shuffle steer, keeping both hands on the wheel at all times when driving off-road. This prevents wheel snap from breaking your fingers if you hit a rock or rut. It definitely isn't so much of a problem with strong power steering but it definitely leads to a vote by me for a round wheel option on the CT.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl