Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Yoke wrap - would that be of any interest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iyordanov

Global Vendor
May 31, 2021
Bay Area
A few people on TMC reached out to ask me for a steering wheel wrap not as a decorative/styling product but more as a way to make the buttons more recognizable without looking at them. The thinking here is (haven't yet done it, so I don't know how it will turn out) that because the wrap will have cutouts for the icons, you will be able to feel these cutouts and better recognize where the buttons are without looking at them.
I've just tried if the capacitive buttons work through vinyl and they do. So my question is - is anyone interested in a yoke wrap?

Thanks!

Reactions: NiceOlives
I'm not sure how these capacitive buttons work but if there is a way to have a conductive material with an airgap above the buttons, that's how I would design it. As for the lights, You would need to add cutouts or thin out the material to let the light come through.

I'm approaching 300 miles driven on my car and I still find myself looking down to find the controls. I feel like I'm in my 6th grade typing class all over again.
But if it has a bump it means it covers the button. If it covers the button it means the lights of the button won’t be visible. And may also present an issue with the capacitive touch function, but not sure 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: iyordanov
I'm not sure how these capacitive buttons work but if there is a way to have a conductive material with an airgap above the buttons, that's how I would design it. As for the lights, You would need to add cutouts or thin out the material to let the light come through.

I'm approaching 300 miles driven on my car and I still find myself looking down to find the controls. I feel like I'm in my 6th grade typing class all over again.
Haha I have 5k miles and 6 months and I can only do the turn signals without looking. But who needs the other ones anyway 😀

• Funny
Reactions: NiceOlives
My vote would be not to have cutouts for the buttons. I have gotten used to the location of the buttons after 6 mos, but I actually like @NiceOlives idea of maybe putting something tactile there. Maybe I'd get those tiny gel "buttons" or something. Or, make the cutouts but leave the material on the wrap for those of us that want to have it completely filled in.

Thanks for all you're doing @iyordanov !

Almost done👍
24480F18-438B-4DF1-A147-559CE57CDE61.jpeg

View attachment 755191

So what colors should I do?

(PS Ignore the mismatched pattern, this was just a test...the pattern will follow the center console direction from my interior wrap kit. PPS will also try enlarging the icon cutouts tomorrow for easier install)
That looks great! The carbon fiber that you have (looks to match the OEM CF trim) is exactly what I'd order. The red one you had up earlier looks pretty nice too.

Reactions: iyordanov
The Yoke Wrap is done 🔥
Here it is:

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 5.11.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 5.11.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 5.11.40 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: Spyderman09