Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yokohama Geolandar X-CV - Finally another option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just decided to downsize to 20 inch wheels on our X for range, towing, and ride. I was resigned to paying 1400-2000 for tires with Pirelli or Continental, but it appears that Yokohama just entered the market with a high performance, all-season SUV tire. They make all sizes for Model X, both 20 and 22 inch. All sizes are speed W rated and XL load rated with load index of 106 or 108, ample for GVWR of the Model X at ~2200 lbs per tire. I scored a set for 830USD shipped, whereas Pirelli Verde's were going to be 1400 plus, continentals even more.

I really like the Pirellis, but I have always liked Yokohamas too. I'm excited to try them out and will report back here. My impressions will be influenced by the switch to 20 inch lightweight wheels too, as I've never driven the X with anything but the Turbines.

It looks like the X-CV's just came to market in April/May. Has anyone else put them on their X?

For those that might be interested in these tires, some updates below. Photos with weights are attached. These are for sizes 275/45r20 and 265/45r20. All I have for comparison are 22 inch turbines with Pirelli Zero All Season Plus tires. Preliminary impressions of the X-CV's is that they are massively quieter and more comfortable. How much of this is the 22 to 20 inch rim change, I cannot say.

Weight of 265/45r20: 33.5 lbs
Weight of 275/45r20: 34.7 lbs

Front turbine/pirelli: 69.5 lbs
Front T-sportline/X-CV: 64 lbs

Rear turbine/pirelli: 72.5 lbs
Rear T-sportline/X-CV: 65.4 lbs

I will report back with energy consumptions update in a few weeks. Overall, the setup looks great, IMO. Nothing can beat the look of the turbines on the Model X IMO, but its just not worth the ride, noise, and range penalty for me. Plus, 35 series tires are just asking for it in Montana.

IMG_20190713_091146.jpg

v1xkwnrjE49yS7DD6

We just decided to downsize to 20 inch wheels on our X for range, towing, and ride. I was resigned to paying 1400-2000 for tires with Pirelli or Continental, but it appears that Yokohama just entered the market with a high performance, all-season SUV tire. They make all sizes for Model X, both 20 and 22 inch. All sizes are speed W rated and XL load rated with load index of 106 or 108, ample for GVWR of the Model X at ~2200 lbs per tire. I scored a set for 830USD shipped, whereas Pirelli Verde's were going to be 1400 plus, continentals even more.

I really like the Pirellis, but I have always liked Yokohamas too. I'm excited to try them out and will report back here. My impressions will be influenced by the switch to 20 inch lightweight wheels too, as I've never driven the X with anything but the Turbines.

It looks like the X-CV's just came to market in April/May. Has anyone else put them on their X?

Thanks for testing these out for the rest of us and look forward to hearing your feedback. I’m currently using Pirelli Verde All Season Plus but the price you got is def more affordable!

I too eagerly await any review you have. I just found out about these tires today. I almost bit the bullet and bought the Nexen N'fera because I'm looking for a more economical option, even thought there is not much info about these tires on a MX. $1500 every 12 months for the Continentals is getting old. I was quoted $1011 installed at Discount tire for the Yokahama XC-Vs, while more than the $805 installed for the N'fera I've got more history with Yokahama and Discount tire vs. Nexen and my local Nexen retailer. I'll be going with the XC-Vs in a couple weeks based on Dogdude222's feedback that they are quieter, hopefully I hear the same compared to my 20" Continentals, and the fact that they have an extra 32nd of tread on them. That does not sound like much but since I wear off a 5 32nds every year that is potentially a 15-20% increase in life if they wear like the stock tires. Thanks in advance for the future update!

Reactions: E Dizzle and J__T
Nothing major to report from my end thus far. I really wish that I had run 20's with the continentals to do a direct comparison, but it looks like that info will be coming from other members soon.

I will say that the first 100 miles with the geolandars saw extremely high energy consumption - will over 450 wh/mile. Part of that is that I had them set at 40psi. Once I went to 42psi and the tread started to break in, things started to return to normal. I was hoping for more range gain going from the pirelli 22's to the 20" geolandars, but most of my driving is highway in Montana, which means the primary contributors to battery consumption are wind resistance and elevation gain.

I still have no regrets about going with the geolandars. I expect that energy consumption will continue to drop as they break in. They are extremely quiet compared to the Pirellis. Ride is a little bit choppier at 42 cold, than 40 cold, but still excellent. They track very straight on the highway. Having run continentals on high end luxury cars in the past, I can tell you that those tires felt vague and wandered compared to these, but I cannot say exactly what continentals would feel like on the X.

I am most curious for someone to compare Wh/mile of the continentals to the geolandars.

Regardless, I think it is pretty clear that the continentals are not worth double the price of the Yokohamas, especially at the rate of tire consumption for model x's.

I have the 22” pirelli scorpions, I had a flat early on in ownership, was bracing for super expensive but it was only $320 installed. Would figure the 20” should be a tad cheaper.

I drove about 350 miles on the Geolandars earlier this week. I don't really watch or record my typical Wh/mile so I can't speak authoritatively to their efficiency. I will say that the average of the first ~500 miles since installing the tires has been about 10-15 Wh/mile higher than the 25k average given in the Trips section on the car. I don't think this is a fair comparison because it has been very hot on the western slope the last few weeks and my AC is always blasting. Though a 500 mile average over 2 weeks is hard to compare directly to a 25,000 mile average over 2 years, I my gut tells me they might have a slight efficiency disadvantage to the Continentals.

I'm not a tire guy and I use our X like a minivan, not a performance machine. I can't really tell the difference between handling of different tires, particularly when going from 4 worn tires to 4 brand new tires of a different brand. I think any brand new tire would feel good. What I DO notice is that the Geolandars are quieter than the Continentals, perhaps quieter than the Conti's ever were. There is noticeably less road noise.

Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase given that I saved quite a bit of money on the Yokohamas. If there is an efficiency difference, I don't think I'll really notice it, unless I am really stretching to make a certain Supercharger (*ahem Flagstaff) from another certain Supercharger (*ahem Blanding) when there is no Supercharger where one has been promised "coming soon" for 3+ years (*ahem Kayenta), but that's another topic. We'll see how the wear goes as they age.

I drove about 350 miles on the Geolandars earlier this week. I don't really watch or record my typical Wh/mile so I can't speak authoritatively to their efficiency. I will say that the average of the first ~500 miles since installing the tires has been about 10-15 Wh/mile higher than the 25k average given in the Trips section on the car. I don't think this is a fair comparison because it has been very hot on the western slope the last few weeks and my AC is always blasting. Though a 500 mile average over 2 weeks is hard to compare directly to a 25,000 mile average over 2 years, I my gut tells me they might have a slight efficiency disadvantage to the Continentals.

I'm not a tire guy and I use our X like a minivan, not a performance machine. I can't really tell the difference between handling of different tires, particularly when going from 4 worn tires to 4 brand new tires of a different brand. I think any brand new tire would feel good. What I DO notice is that the Geolandars are quieter than the Continentals, perhaps quieter than the Conti's ever were. There is noticeably less road noise.

Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase given that I saved quite a bit of money on the Yokohamas. If there is an efficiency difference, I don't think I'll really notice it, unless I am really stretching to make a certain Supercharger (*ahem Flagstaff) from another certain Supercharger (*ahem Blanding) when there is no Supercharger where one has been promised "coming soon" for 3+ years (*ahem Kayenta), but that's another topic. We'll see how the wear goes as they age.
now let's see how its gonna work in the snow of CO this coming winter haha

I almost bit the bullet and bought the Nexen N'fera because I'm looking for a more economical option...

Please avoid the Nexen N'Fera RU5 for the Model X. You will see these on many MXs that are up for sale since they are a cheap replacement. I tried these out and the rubber compound cannot handle the torque when accelerating. On a dry road they will break free and your traction control will kick on. Also braking moderately is also an issue as there is tire squeal.

• Informative
Reactions: J__T
Another review-

I put 20k miles on the Toyo Proxes ST III and they are around $700 for a set. Toyo has a tire factory in Bartow County, Georgia where these are produced. They were a solid tire with excellent wet/dry handling but...the noise

When installed, they were comparable to the OEM continentals but by 15k miles they were much louder. Traction did not seem to decline much, but the noise was a huge factor once I reached 20k miles.

I probably could have hit 25k miles, but I got a flat and I am now using the opportunity to find some new tires. I have had many flats throughout my life, but I have never had a puncture from a lead wheel weight on the road...crazy

IMG_20190916_144154.jpg

Curious how the Yokahamas are holding up? Thinking about purchasing them. Deciding between those and the Nokian WR G4 tires. Most of our driving is in sunny AZ.

Reactions: KBaoBao
Curious how the Yokahamas are holding up? Thinking about purchasing them. Deciding between those and the Nokian WR G4 tires. Most of our driving is in sunny AZ.
So far so good, but honestly I haven't driven on them much. Not a ton of driving during pandemic, and I just took off my snow tires in late March.

I'm not a tire guy, my X is basically our family minivan. But the tires seem great. I don't think they're loud, and they spin in circles and support the wheels off the ground really well ;)

I installed the Yokohama Geolandars on my Model X today. I've only driven a few miles so far but am looking forward to comparing them to the Continentals on an upcoming road trip.

Any updates on comparison between these and your told conti's?

Did you use them in any snow at all before switching to your winter tires? how did they do?
I'm in seattle and rarely get much snow, but would like them to perform reasonably well. Our OEM conti's have been just fine in the snow till this last year when the tires were getting low on tread.

No, sorry, nothing more than a dusting!

Any updates on comparison between these and your told conti's?

Did you use them in any snow at all before switching to your winter tires? how did they do?
I'm in seattle and rarely get much snow, but would like them to perform reasonably well. Our OEM conti's have been just fine in the snow till this last year when the tires were getting low on tread.