Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yosemite Super Chargers, AKA Mariposa/El Portal....ETA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sup guys

anyone else here following the Mariposa or El portal SC for the past couple of years? We love going to Yosemite and can't wait for Tesla to build their SC at Mariposa or El portal. Coming from the SF Bay Area, we would charge up at Merced and hit into Yosemite. Once there, maybe 30% charge left so u better find a Charge Point to juice up or 2 of their Level 2 charger. Or one Tesla home charger at that fancy hotel inside the park.

When I first drove my 2020 LR Y back in nov 2020, there wasn't many Tesla in the park. Differently not other EV. We Went back in there last NOV 2021, we saw a good amount of Tesla in there. And a few other EV. Once they open up their SC, im sure there will be a ton of Tesla visiting.

yea, I been checking Tesla SC page updates. 2 years ago, mariposa target was Q3 or Q4 2021. Then it got deleted and El portal pop up, target Q3 2022. Then El portal got delay to Q4 2022. I just check a few nights ago, now showing EL portal Q3 2022. Woohoo, I really hope Tesla got this project going. I also noticed mariposa is back on too. So hopefully Tesla is building both now! :)

If anyone driving pass mariposa or El portal to Yosemite, please keep us posted if y'all see them up or getting build. TIA!

17B556A2-11AC-468F-8167-4BD6CB402FEC.png5B887DD9-C486-48CD-BEBC-DE4DA64BF2C6.png

Last edited:
That would be amazing. We’ve considered taking our Y into Yosemite Valley but decided against it out of a fear of being stranded. As I recall, there are only a handful of L2 chargers in the valley, and the superchargers in Fish Camp and Groveland are just too far away to risk a round trip. A supercharger in the valley would really open up Yosemite to Teslas.

That would be amazing. We’ve considered taking our Y into Yosemite Valley but decided against it out of a fear of being stranded. As I recall, there are only a handful of L2 chargers in the valley, and the superchargers in Fish Camp and Groveland are just too far away to risk a round trip. A supercharger in the valley would really open up Yosemite to Teslas.
Correction… I see the map you posted shows El Portal. Not in the valley, but a lot closer for comfort.

My family has been driving our Teslas into Yosemite Valley for years. You can charge in Groveland and easily make it to the Valley and back. If you are coming from the south there are superchargers at the Tenaya Lodge and the newer ones in Oakhurst.

If you get nervous, there are now some Rivian sponsored J1772 L2 chargers at Yosemite Lodge and the old Tesla destination chargers at the Ahwahnee.

If you are coming from the south there are superchargers at the Tenaya Lodge and the newer ones in Oakhurst.

If you get nervous, there are now some Rivian sponsored J1772 L2 chargers at Yosemite Lodge and the old Tesla destination chargers at the Ahwahnee.

We just went to Yosemite a few months ago and stayed in Oakhurst, so this is really for those coming into the park from the South entrance. It was convenient to charge on the 250kW chargers there and it was never busy (most of the time it was completely empty). On a map, it looks like a long drive from Oakhurst into Yosemite, and then driving all around Yosemite & then back down to Oakhurst, but it really wasn't that bad once I drove it for a few days.

I would charge up to 90% every night and we'd take off in the morning and put around 60-80 miles on the car each day, depending on what we wanted to see and how much driving we actually wanted to do. Every night we'd get back to Oakhurst with around 60-65% battery capacity, so we always had more than enough to drive all around the park or even charge it up every other day (but that might be pushing it, plus I have free supercharging from referrals until later this year).

If you absolutely need to charge in the park, the Rivian chargers at Ahwahnee are available but it's kind of a PITA to get to, and there's only a couple of them so it's either hit or miss on their availability. If coming from the South entrance, charging up in either Oakhurst or Fish Camp are your best bets. Oakhurst was easier because of the 250kW chargers, while Fish Camp has 150kW chargers and always looked more busy on the map.

I've driven our Model Y into the valley via all three entrances many times. I've also driven it through to the East side many times. Yes you need to think about charging a little bit sometimes, but you will be surprised that it's very easy and nothing to worry about whatsoever.