Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can now unplug the charger while the car is locked?

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
The car will not allow you to unplug after charging is complete and it has gone to sleep. You have to unlock it. I will allow you to unplug it while it's still charging by pushing the button while in the presence of your phone.

Last edited:

yhc21

Apr 1, 2021
Sydney
My experience (I just tried this on my Model 3) is that if the car is in deep sleep, pushing the button on the cable won't do anything at all. If it's working for you, then likely the car is not in its most deepest sleep state. I'm in the habit of slightly depressing the rear door handle to wake the car. At that point, if I have my phone, I can remove the cable with the button press.

FWIW I'm on the latest firmware and have HW3. The behavior has been the same (inconsistent dependent on sleep state, not firmware version) since I've owned the car in early 2018.
Yeh it's still the case in 2021' :)

novox77

1.21 Gigawatts
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Both of my Ys wake up if I tap the charging button 3 times rapidly and lets me disconnect. Other than that it stays locked in.

I'd be curious to know if that works at a supercharger or other external charging station. If so, it would mean someone could unplug you if they knew about this.

SQLDevDBA

Jun 11, 2020
Orlando, FL, USA
I'd be curious to know if that works at a supercharger or other external charging station. If so, it would mean someone could unplug you if they knew about this.
I should have clarified, I simply use this method to wake the car up.

the reason it unlocks the port is because my phone is nearby, but tapping it once when it’s in deep sleep doesn’t do the trick.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC