Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You Can Summon Your Tesla Out of a Parking Spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
User's manual instructions for parking and unparking with summon state unequivocally that to unpark via "Summon", the car must have parked itself using "Summon".

Not true, I have discovered. I parked my car myself in perpendicular parking spaces, both front in and backed in, walked away until after the doors auto locked, and then returned and summoned it out of the space.

Could be very handy when some jerk has parked too close to your driver door for you to get in.

User's manual instructions for parking and unparking with summon state unequivocally that to unpark via "Summon", the car must have parked itself using "Summon".

Not true, I have discovered. I parked my car myself in perpendicular parking spaces, both front in and backed in, walked away until after the doors auto locked, and then returned and summoned it out of the space.

Could be very handy when some jerk has parked too close to your driver door for you to get in.

This is right. I was able to initiate Summon via my iPhone sitting in my family room through two doors about 25-30 feet away. Key fob was in my pocket.

Does anyone know the standard distance that it will travel after leaving the garage? I have noticed that sometimes it stops just outside my garage and other times it travelled almost out to the street.

From what I've read, it's set to 39 feet. It would be nice if that distance could be set by the user.

When I've tried summoning from the garage, as someone else mentioned earlier, if I don't stop it manually the car backs out until the back is sticking out in the street.

- - - Updated - - -

This is right. I was able to initiate Summon via my iPhone sitting in my family room through two doors about 25-30 feet away. Key fob was in my pocket.

I'm sitting here in a restaurant with the car way out of sight. After reading your post I opened the iPhone Tesla app and the Summon button is there. A little worrisome, actually. I hope that if I pushed it it would not work. But I'm not going to find out now. :)

From what I've read, it's set to 39 feet. It would be nice if that distance could be set by the user.

When I've tried summoning from the garage, as someone else mentioned earlier, if I don't stop it manually the car backs out until the back is sticking out in the street.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sitting here in a restaurant with the car way out of sight. After reading your post I opened the iPhone Tesla app and the Summon button is there. A little worrisome, actually. I hope that if I pushed it it would not work. But I'm not going to find out now. :)

iPhone app "summon" button only works when the FOB is close enough for the car to sense it.

- - - Updated - - -

Did it work?