TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

You forget how stable a Tesla is...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Cosmacelf, May 9, 2015.

1. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

...until you drive an ICE again. I had to take my wife's QX56 Infiniti to the dealer, so they gave me a Q50 loaner car. It is marketed as a "sports sedan". At the end of the day, I was anxious to get this ICE back to the dealer, so I pushed it a bit around my neighborhood streets which are semi rural single lane twisty roads. It didn't take long for me to feel that the car wasn't as stable as it should have been around those curves, so I let go of the accelerator, and used the brakes to slow down (which I rarely need to do in my Tesla, of course, because of regen). Darned if the back end didn't fish tail out from me. I immediately let go of the brake, which straightened the car out, but I was still going too fast for the curves, so I touched the brakes again, and once again another back end dive to one side. By this time, there was an on coming car in the other lane, so I had to let go of the brake once again and just pray the car was stable enough and had slowed down enough for the curve.

It worked out ok in the end (ie. I did t crash), but geez, what a crappy car. Gave me renewed respect for how dynamically stable the Model S is.

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

My wife always used to cringe whenever I would go fast around turns, but now with the Model S, she doesn't because there's no drama. The car doesn't lean and throw the passengers around during turns. Stable indeed.

3. ahurst

ahurst Member

Which model do you have?

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

A 2013 p85.

5. anxman

anxman Member

#5 anxman, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    I'm on vacation and rented a Camry and I miss my Tesla dearly already. I went into a tight curve today here in Big Bend National Park and the Camry felt like she was going to slip. I empathize with you.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Given the weight and size, handling is awesome provided you're on smooth roads, at least in my PD. On slightly bumpy on and off ramps, the PD wants to lose traction because the compression damping is too much and little bumps like to launch the car in the air. The ​P85+ loaner I had for 5 days was a joy to take around slightly bumpy corners. The PD is even more capable as long as the roads are perfectly smooth.

That said, I can't do any of that anymore if my wife is in the car. She yells at me and says if I want to do that at all to install grab rails. I then have to point out to her that the Zs, Corvettes, and her Lexus convertible didn't have grab rails.