Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You forget how stable a Tesla is...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
...until you drive an ICE again. I had to take my wife's QX56 Infiniti to the dealer, so they gave me a Q50 loaner car. It is marketed as a "sports sedan". At the end of the day, I was anxious to get this ICE back to the dealer, so I pushed it a bit around my neighborhood streets which are semi rural single lane twisty roads. It didn't take long for me to feel that the car wasn't as stable as it should have been around those curves, so I let go of the accelerator, and used the brakes to slow down (which I rarely need to do in my Tesla, of course, because of regen). Darned if the back end didn't fish tail out from me. I immediately let go of the brake, which straightened the car out, but I was still going too fast for the curves, so I touched the brakes again, and once again another back end dive to one side. By this time, there was an on coming car in the other lane, so I had to let go of the brake once again and just pray the car was stable enough and had slowed down enough for the curve.

It worked out ok in the end (ie. I did t crash), but geez, what a crappy car. Gave me renewed respect for how dynamically stable the Model S is.

My wife always used to cringe whenever I would go fast around turns, but now with the Model S, she doesn't because there's no drama. The car doesn't lean and throw the passengers around during turns. Stable indeed.

Given the weight and size, handling is awesome provided you're on smooth roads, at least in my PD. On slightly bumpy on and off ramps, the PD wants to lose traction because the compression damping is too much and little bumps like to launch the car in the air. The ​P85+ loaner I had for 5 days was a joy to take around slightly bumpy corners. The PD is even more capable as long as the roads are perfectly smooth.

That said, I can't do any of that anymore if my wife is in the car. She yells at me and says if I want to do that at all to install grab rails. I then have to point out to her that the Zs, Corvettes, and her Lexus convertible didn't have grab rails.