Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You gave up your Model 3 for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a Honda Dealer a week ago and sat in a Clarity Plug-in Hybrid. I was VERY impressed at the huge interior, and material and build quality. Rear quarter exterior view is a bit funky, but livable. I have a 2013 Model S and previously owned a gen 1 Volt. If I were shopping today for a Volt-like car, I would be hard pressed to pick the Volt gen 2 over the Clarity PHEV (and I'm a Volt fan). Interior and build quality definitely eclipsed my Model S. It would really have to drive terribly for it to not be my pick over any other PHEV sedan.

I was at a Honda Dealer a week ago and sat in a Clarity Plug-in Hybrid. I was VERY impressed at the huge interior, and material and build quality. Rear quarter exterior view is a bit funky, but livable. I have a 2013 Model S and previously owned a gen 1 Volt. If I were shopping today for a Volt-like car, I would be hard pressed to pick the Volt gen 2 over the Clarity PHEV (and I'm a Volt fan). Interior and build quality definitely eclipsed my Model S. It would really have to drive terribly for it to not be my pick over any other PHEV sedan.

Agreed. The specs on the Clarity PHEV are great. But the rear is HORRENDOUS. Ugh!

Wife got a Clarity Touring about 7 weeks ago. Very nice ride.

Software could be better, but after 3000 miles, we're getting 108 mpg.

It's a far more luxurious ride than a Prius, and the battery size gets the $7500 tax rebate. Prius Prime is $4500 and smaller

I'd add the 2018 Leaf as a great candidate, at 160+ miles, it is under your arbitrary limit, but it is a great car. Start at under $30k and comes with ProPlus for not a whole lot more. ProPlus does what the Tesla does today, adaptive speed control and keeping between the lines.
I'm quite happy with the Leaf at 160+ miles. I generally goes days without recharging it.

I'm not sure why you think that the price is going to go up. I'd expect the white seats to eventually become available and the low end model still costing $35k. Sure, the fed rebate may be an issue, but that's also an issue for PHEVs.
Leaf is not a good choice. Battery still does not have TMS in 2018. Car also has a problem with fast charging if needing to charge more than a couple of times in succession. Check out #rapidgate. Also much lacking charging infastructure in most of the country.