Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You guys are going to shoot me but I have a question on Rial Lugano wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more who is happy with the Rials...used them last winter with no problems. I actually had 2 of my stock 19s bent after a nasty pothole, but no problems with the Rials. The TSTs were not around yet when I was looking for wheels, otherwise I would have considered them.
6a03273fb6ac7ab9f968c51be26cab4a.jpg

The TSTs weren't even announced when I ordered and received my Rials. I likely would have gone for the TSTs for the closer to factory 21 look, caps, lug nuts etc. but having said that, I am very pleased with the Rials and don't regret my decision.

I had the choice and went with Rial last week, they have a bit more flair and the darker gunmetal gives an additional little pop. Also, our MS is red with tinted windows, the gunmetal is closer to the tint and nosecone color/sheen; adding grey looks great but frustrates my OCD mind.

Since I'm thinking about the rial luganos for this winter myself I also have a few questions.

Are the rims pocketed as shown here?
Show off your aftermarket wheels. - Page 11

There is a Tesla specific version or the Rial Lugano if I look in Rial's list. Is that new? Or is that what everyone have? I think it's to match the CB only because the ET is still 32.
Anyone with the idea of why ET is 32? Is it because the rim is 8.5 and not 8?

I've got about 12K miles on my rial luganos with Primacy MXM 4's. the rims have been great, no issues. the tires, that's the big deal! I would have had to replace the OEM super pricey tires possibly twice by now, instead the MXM's have lots of tread left. In temperate climates like the NW it's arguable that "performance" tires actually have poor performance. the softer rubber gets hard and slick when it's cool and wet. to really get the performance out of performance tires, even when it's warm you need to drive them for 20+ minutes to warm up the rubber and that has me at my destination much of the time. I suspect that for lack of competition, that performance tire manufacturers have little incentive to make them as durable as they are actually capable of. I'm very happy with how the MXM's perform in this climate, even cold and very happy with how they are holding up! I'm one of those somewhat green enthusiasts people who also feels good about not eating a barrel of oil per tire, twice a year.

Last edited:
Another happy Rial buyer. Used them for 19" wheels this past winter. Horrendous potholes and pothole hits this winter. The wheels and tires survived perfectly!

Good to know. Thank you! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I went kind of the opposite way and mounted my winter tires (Nokian Hakka R2) on to the stock Tesla 19" rims and bought Rial Luganos for my summer tires. They have been great. No problems or issues at all.

That's great to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Devils advocate: You seriously don't like the TSTs as much as the Rials? The TSTs have the benefit of using the factory lugs and the factory center caps (though I think the new Rials can take a factory center cap). And they look gorgeous also:

View attachment 57856View attachment 57857View attachment 57858

I can't argue. Your car looks amazing. It is really beautiful. That blackish green with the dark rims looks amazing.:love:

- - - Updated - - -

One more who is happy with the Rials...used them last winter with no problems. I actually had 2 of my stock 19s bent after a nasty pothole, but no problems with the Rials. The TSTs were not around yet when I was looking for wheels, otherwise I would have considered them.
6a03273fb6ac7ab9f968c51be26cab4a.jpg
I love the way the Rials look with your car. I am shocked your car is black. My car looks so much like that in certain light. I just love those Rial wheels. Thank you for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

I've got about 12K miles on my rial luganos with Primacy MXM 4's. the rims have been great, no issues. the tires, that's the big deal! I would have had to replace the OEM super pricey tires possibly twice by now, instead the MXM's have lots of tread left. In temperate climates like the NW it's arguable that "performance" tires actually have poor performance. the softer rubber gets hard and slick when it's cool and wet. to really get the performance out of performance tires, even when it's warm you need to drive them for 20+ minutes to warm up the rubber and that has me at my destination much of the time. I suspect that for lack of competition, that performance tire manufacturers have little incentive to make them as durable as they are actually capable of. I'm very happy with how the MXM's perform in this climate, even cold and very happy with how they are holding up! I'm one of those somewhat green enthusiasts people who also feels good about not eating a barrel of oil per tire, twice a year.
I am really happy with the Primacy tires too. I agree with you about the performance tires. I have a friend who replaces her tires all the time. It's a huge hassle and an (unnecessary) expense. -We aren't driving on dirt roads or racetracks.

I had an average of 330kWh for the past 1700 miles with TSTs on an S85 with Michelin Primacy MXM4s, a mix of highway and local driving.
That seems like really good range to me. Ok I stared at your wheels and I stared at the other picture (the black Tesla with Rial wheels) and I think your wheels are sportier and seem bigger and bolder. And again, I feel like they are more guy-wheels. I mean, they look incredible. I love them. But...I am leaning toward the Rials b/c they are more low key I think which is a little better for me since turbines are such a statement wheel anyway. I wish I could see them both in person but that isn't in the cards. Thank you so much for sharing your pics. My husband is from Pittsburgh too by the way. I'm surprised you didn't custom wrap your car in yellow and black. Ha! :)

When I drove 2000 miles to get my Opticoat done in Orinda this spring, I was sporting my winter Rials because you never know about snow between here and there. Joe, who'd done many, many Teslas told me he preferred the look of the gunmetal 19" Rials to the 21" grey turbines, which are my summer wheels. No issues with bent rims after my first 14,000 miles on Blizzaks.

The gun metal Rials look great on the darker color cars. Anyone have experience with the gunmetal color with a pearl white? I'm figuring that the silver will essentially look grey with the brake dust/road dirt, as I plan to use them for my winter rubber. Why not just get a pretty grey wheel instead? I guess the same will go for the TST wheels. So, anyone out there with pearl white and the grey aftermarkets?

That seems like really good range to me. Ok I stared at your wheels and I stared at the other picture (the black Tesla with Rial wheels) and I think your wheels are sportier and seem bigger and bolder. And again, I feel like they are more guy-wheels. I mean, they look incredible. I love them. But...I am leaning toward the Rials b/c they are more low key I think which is a little better for me since turbines are such a statement wheel anyway. I wish I could see them both in person but that isn't in the cards. Thank you so much for sharing your pics. My husband is from Pittsburgh too by the way. I'm surprised you didn't custom wrap your car in yellow and black. Ha! :)

Thanks EKing! They are both gorgeous wheels, for sure. The darker gunmetal on the Rials is particularly sumptuous, and the curve on the blades is less beefy but more menacing.

Just got back from a trip to Upstate NY (alas, still lacking Superchargers) and we passed a guy with his SUV custom painted with "Steeler Nation" regalia, right down to the painting of the Pittsburgh skyline in neon pastels across the door panels. Black on Yellow theme for the rest of the vehicle, of course. I was definitely wondering who will be first to desecrate a Tesla in this manner, but certainly not I! Hopefully they will take the subtle route, and just put the Gold TSportline 21" rims on a black Model S, and be done with it.

Mileage for the trip was 309 Wh/mi for 503 miles, all highway with an average speed of maybe 70mph, slightly rolling terrain. Michelin Primacy MXM4s on 19" TSTs, inflated to factory spec 45 psi. Very happy with both the TST wheels and the Primacy tires.

It's kind of an extension that fits over the lug nuts because they sit fairly far recessed into the rim. Mine came with the rims from Tire Rack and I just keep it in the car with me.

So it's nuts and not bolts for the Tesla? Odd....

Anyway. My real question is this. Which version of the Rial Lugano do people use? I can find at least three 19x8.5 in 5/120 bolt pattern.
LU85920B92-0 4046004063791 Lugano-8,5x19-ET20-B9-LK5-120,0-NB76,1-BMW
LU85932T72-0 4046004072632 Lugano-8,5x19-ET32-T7-LK5-120,0-NB64,2-Tesla
LU85932W12-0 4046004063814 Lugano-8,5x19-ET32-W1-LK5-120,0-NB72,6-MP

I guess the second one would be best? Wouldn't the factory lug nuts fit in that case?
This seems to says so:
http://www.reifen.com/de/RimAL/List...3kmh-0ccm/83515/Rial-Lugano-8-5-X-19/15132855
Click "Gutachten anzeigen" in the middle.

Thanks EKing! They are both gorgeous wheels, for sure. The darker gunmetal on the Rials is particularly sumptuous, and the curve on the blades is less beefy but more menacing.

Just got back from a trip to Upstate NY (alas, still lacking Superchargers) and we passed a guy with his SUV custom painted with "Steeler Nation" regalia, right down to the painting of the Pittsburgh skyline in neon pastels across the door panels. Black on Yellow theme for the rest of the vehicle, of course. I was definitely wondering who will be first to desecrate a Tesla in this manner, but certainly not I! Hopefully they will take the subtle route, and just put the Gold TSportline 21" rims on a black Model S, and be done with it.

Mileage for the trip was 309 Wh/mi for 503 miles, all highway with an average speed of maybe 70mph, slightly rolling terrain. Michelin Primacy MXM4s on 19" TSTs, inflated to factory spec 45 psi. Very happy with both the TST wheels and the Primacy tires.

I am really starting to think now about whether I should go with gunmetal Rials versus the regular silver. The car is blue so I am sort of torn. Maybe the gunmetal would make the car look more black. I am not sure. Your pictures are so nice. Do you think the gunmetal are too guy-ish though?

I am not sure what it is about people from Pittsburgh. It is like a cult. I took this picture last year here in Houston.
photo(21).JPG
I have never seen a city that loves itself SO MUCH like Pittsburgh. Ha! :biggrin:Yes, I agree with you. I don't think a Tesla wrapped in yellow and black would look too great, though I have no doubt you have friends in the Steel City who would do it in a heartbeat. :rolleyes:

The car will look downright sinister with Gunmetal Rials...Newscutter calls them my "Lord Vader" wheels. The silvers look classy and elegant...see MKnox's pics, for example. Can't go wrong either way, but it is tough to choose which look you prefer! (Says the guy who has four sets of rims for one car)

The car will look downright sinister with Gunmetal Rials...Newscutter calls them my "Lord Vader" wheels. The silvers look classy and elegant...see MKnox's pics, for example. Can't go wrong either way, but it is tough to choose which look you prefer! (Says the guy who has four sets of rims for one car)
Ha. Yeah I am leaning more toward the elegant side than the sinister side. But I do like "sinister" :cool::biggrin:

Anyway. My real question is this. Which version of the Rial Lugano do people use? I can find at least three 19x8.5 in 5/120 bolt pattern.
LU85920B92-0 4046004063791 Lugano-8,5x19-ET20-B9-LK5-120,0-NB76,1-BMW
LU85932T72-0 4046004072632 Lugano-8,5x19-ET32-T7-LK5-120,0-NB64,2-Tesla
LU85932W12-0 4046004063814 Lugano-8,5x19-ET32-W1-LK5-120,0-NB72,6-MP

I guess the second one would be best? Wouldn't the factory lug nuts fit in that case?
This seems to says so:
http://www.reifen.com/de/RimAL/List...3kmh-0ccm/83515/Rial-Lugano-8-5-X-19/15132855
Click "Gutachten anzeigen" in the middle.

No one?