Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You guys really pull into a Nissan dealer with your CHAdeMO adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a swing by the Nissan Canada headquarters in Toronto today. Not only do they limit their CHAdeMO to Leafs...

IMG_0251.JPG

...but they limit their public J1772 station to Leafs as well:

IMG_0252.JPG

Took a swing by the Nissan Canada headquarters in Toronto today. Not only do they limit their CHAdeMO to Leafs...

From the PlugShare reviews, I think even Leafs will have a hard time charging at these locations. It looks like there's a friendly Mitsubishi facility with CHAdeMO just a block or two away.

View attachment 80033

View attachment 80034
So Cal Mitsubishi corporate HQ are THE best example of supporting mulit-brand Plugins ... any & all. But lately they've had to implement some time frame restrictions, due to a few abusers. In particular, this one gal EVERY day - would throw her bike into her plugin Volt, leave the Volt plugged in at Mitsu HQ - ride her bike home, then not return until she needed to go somewhere. That became the catalyst for other abusers to the point where Mitsu employee / owners had limited access. Rather than shutout everyone on account of a few douchebags, Mitsu incorporated a few basic rules, subjecting violators to being towed. Still, they now have to police their L2's & their CHAdeMO ...
Mitsu's attitude shows WAY more grace than any other Manufacturer I've ever seen ESPECIALLY considering they know other manufacturers / dealers won't let Mitsu vehicles charge at their locations.
I've thanked them numerous times - and told them it's their corporate policy that has made us promise to get their Plugin Outlander as our 2nd car, once sales begin in the US.

Last edited:
Planning a trip to see family in Walla Walla, WA and the only charger there is at Nissan (or RV park) I think showing up with a couple dozen donuts for the sales team. How can they say no?
Well, last week I heard that the Nissan Dealership in Walla Walla doesn't even know if the charging station currently works. I used it last year with my Leaf, but they didn't really know much about it then, so maybe things haven't improved.

This was indeed, me and I did call and ask before I charged. The service person I talked to was fine with me charging my Tesla there. No idea why they padlocked it, though. They are incorrect about asking me to leave, as the charging session was on a Sunday when the dealership was closed. I have no idea where the author got that information.

This is my response "pending moderator approval" :

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
May 6, 2015 at 9:47 am
This story is a flat out lie. I am the Chris that posted that picture in Plugshare. 100% of my charging was done Sunday 4/26 when the dealership was closed. There were NO employees there to ask me to leave. I even called ahead weeks prior and spoke to Mike in the service department. I had one charging session on my way north to KY and one later that same day on my way back south. Either the author or the Newton employee’s story is ********.

My second Plugshare checking was done after midnight that Sunday. That’s why it shows it a day later. If there was another Tesla owner that caused this, blame them and not me.

Last edited:
It looks like that Nissan dealership has unbunched their panties and are open to letting Tesla owners use them as long as they ask permission. The next time I use a dealership's singular CHAdeMO charger, I will leave my phone number if I walk away from the car.

I was also told by two dealerships the introduction of the redesigned 2016 Leaf is getting Nissan to push ALL the dealerships to have at least one CHAdeMO charger.

It looks like that Nissan dealership has unbunched their panties and are open to letting Tesla owners use them as long as they ask permission. The next time I use a dealership's singular CHAdeMO charger, I will leave my phone number if I walk away from the car....... snip....... .
that's the one thing they don't allow at Orange County / Irvine Nissan. You have to stay near by. Funny thing is, the manager often uses the spot as his own personal parking space and yet the fees /maintenance / control of the quick charger is all done by a third party business. I'll bet they wonder why it gets so little use.
;)

Nissan MUST have put out a memo. The 3 Nissan Dealers where I couldn't charge before here in DFW, now I can! The best story is from Memorial Day:

Raining, packed with people, free food and drinks - nowhere to park & charge. I asked the salesmen if they could move vehicles, they couldn't find the owners. The General Manager Josh came out and asked me to drive up on the concrete and park next to the building to charge! I had to give positive feedback on PlugShare: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/2261
AutoNationcharge.jpg

Let's remember that Tesla doesn't allow other manufacturers to charge at their stations. Everybody just needs to play nice as we all work this out. Be a polite owner, and I find polite chargers most of the time. Ignore the bad apples, those will work their way out.

Let's remember that Tesla doesn't allow other manufacturers to charge at their stations. Everybody just needs to play nice as we all work this out. Be a polite owner, and I find polite chargers most of the time. Ignore the bad apples, those will work their way out.

Tesla DOES allow other manufacturers to use their charging stations provided they help pay for the infrastructure. The other manufacturers decided they'd rather invest in their own infrastructure than use Tesla's for the time being.

Tesla does allow it, in fact they welcome it. If you can find a non-Tesla car that can hook up to Tesla Superchargers... you can use it, no problem.

Tesla does allow it, in fact they welcome it. If you can find a non-Tesla car that can hook up to Tesla Superchargers... you can use it, no problem.
We'll soon get to see if that's really true. There's at least one Tesla to J1772 adapter coming to market. Once it does, someone is bound to try and charge their non-Tesla EV at a Tesla store or service center...wonder what the answer will be.

We'll soon get to see if that's really true. There's at least one Tesla to J1772 adapter coming to market. Once it does, someone is bound to try and charge their non-Tesla EV at a Tesla store or service center...wonder what the answer will be.

Hmmm, curious. What will happen if someone tries to connect a Volt or Leaf to a Supercharger? Or is this only for L2 Tesla stations?