Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You have 3 days after delivery to get this right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my P3D about 3 weeks ago. When I took it in to get paint protection, I was shown several dings and imperfections in the paint. I don’t have a trained eye, but they sure became an eye sore when they were pointed out. I called Tesla to see if they’d help, but was told it was after the 3 day notice period. In other words, tough luck. Fast forward two weeks when I took my buddy to Fremont to pick up his P3D... which only took 10 days from order to delivery. His car looked great to the untrained eye too. He also took it to get PPF installed the next day, and his car was full of scratches and paint imperfections. Unfortunately, he didn’t tell me about it until yesterday, which was 5 days after delivery. My paint protection guy is considered the local Tesla expert. He says every Model 3 he’s worked on has had serious paint issues. My advice to you to make an appointment with a paint protection shop for the next day after delivery to get your car inspected and immediately notify Tesla of the inevitable defects. Hopefully they’ll make good on the issues rather than having to pay for it yourself. I now know why you pay the dealer prep in a more traditional car purchase process.

I knew going in that Tesla didn't have the best paint.

With that said, I set my expectations low.

And low and behold, I took my car into a detailer who is one of the best in my area and he said there was a lot of dust/dirt between the paint and clear-coat that he obviously can't get out. The vehicle still looks good from a few feet away and you really don't see much unless you get real close, but I've never had a car with this much issues with the paint.

Tesla def has some paint issues. Maybe it's the dirt from the tented lot. They probably paint them in the tent and not a dust free environment...lol

Reactions: neroden
There have been known problems in the paint shop. I expect them to get resolved eventually... but I'm not picky about paint. I wish they had more simple colors, though: it's easier to fix "plain white" than it is to fix "multi-coat white".

I knew going in that Tesla didn't have the best paint.

With that said, I set my expectations low.

And low and behold, I took my car into a detailer who is one of the best in my area and he said there was a lot of dust/dirt between the paint and clear-coat that he obviously can't get out. The vehicle still looks good from a few feet away and you really don't see much unless you get real close, but I've never had a car with this much issues with the paint.

Tesla def has some paint issues. Maybe it's the dirt from the tented lot. They probably paint them in the tent and not a dust free environment...lol

They do not paint them in the tent just to clarify to the uninformed. The tent is used for general assembly of one of the Model 3 lines. Not saying this to be mean but if you went on a factory tour you’d see where the paint area is and understand why the comment is laughable and assume that’s why you typed a “lol”. But to someone who doesn’t know, I can see them repeating that as what they read and let’s face it there’s enough FUD on Tesla going around without adding to it.