Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You have an S, Will you also be getting an X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can't consider doing without an ICE car until Tesla builds out the Supercharger network for us here in the midwest. We regularly drive the family to Chicago from Cincinnati, and that can't currently happen in any EV unless we're willing to make what is normally a 5.5-hour trip an overnight one. Once the SC is operational in Lafayette, IN, then we can take my MS. Then, I think my wife would consider trading in her LR4 for a Model X. Maybe.

Before going to Teslive I was considering possibly trading in my MS in a year or two. But after seeing the MX at the factory party, and realizing it is more of a mini van, than a SUV (which I would consider), I will not go that route.

I am single, no kids, so a mini van is not for me right now.

We can't consider doing without an ICE car until Tesla builds out the Supercharger network for us here in the midwest. We regularly drive the family to Chicago from Cincinnati, and that can't currently happen in any EV unless we're willing to make what is normally a 5.5-hour trip an overnight one. Once the SC is operational in Lafayette, IN, then we can take my MS. Then, I think my wife would consider trading in her LR4 for a Model X. Maybe.

next year or so?

I hope to reserve an X soon

Last edited:
For the record, and in case Chad doesn't remember it because of the wine, I called dibs on his Roadster @ dinner in Chelan. ;)

I also called dibs on dsm's. ;)

OK. Can I call dibs on the roadster you don't get?

OP: Yes to the S and have reservation for SigX and a PX. Have both just in case I do not want all the bells and whistles on the SigX and preferred not to go to the end of the reservation list if I passed on the SigX. Made perfect sense when I did it.........maybe not now:confused:

I have an S, and a Roadster...and an X reservation. That would be three cars for two drivers; that is overkill. We are happy with the cars we have, so I'm not at all sure we'll be getting one.

The X reservation is partly "just in case"...what if one of our cars are stolen or damaged and we need to replace it? I want to have as many options as possible.

It's also in case our situation changes. We currently don't need a bigger vehicle, AWD or towing capability; but we're looking at homes where AWD may come in handy, and my wife wants to tow a folding camper trailer (me, I'm happy driving the S to a motel). I am in love with the Roadster right now, but I have a degenerative joint disease and at some point it might be hard to get in and out of. I am hoping that is many years away and the third-gen car will be a suitable replacement; but again, I want to have options in case it becomes an issue.

And to be honest, the reservation is partly because it's always nice to have the latest and greatest and show people that, yes, EVs can be big and have AWD and tow and all those other things they assume are impossible...I may be looking for an excuse to get it, rather than really having a need for it.

I get it, ChadS. I gave up my Roadster to get a Sig S, and have a Sig X reservation. The S is the car I always wanted, but the Roadster made the waiting so much easier. There are only two things about the X that I really want: easier ingress/egress and AWD. The S is a heck of a lot easier to get in and out of than the R, but it's not ideal: I'm 6'2" and I still have to back in, butt first, to get my head under the roof. I don't really need or want an even bigger car than the S, but I do want AWD badly enough for the Colorado winters and mountain driving that I'm willing to try the X and see how I like it...and to see whether it fits in my garage in the spot currently occupied by an Acura RDX. If Tesla were to release an AWD S first I might consider switching out my Sig S, although it would be hard to part with that beautiful red and the early VIN may prove to have collector value.

We have an S, and also have an X reserved. My wife loves my car, and the size/capabilities (AWD) are perfect for her needs. However, it appears as though the X will be on the same price level as the MS. She's having trouble "getting over" the brat factor of buying such an expensive car. We can afford it with no issue whatsoever. I want her to have it but am trying to not pressure her final decision. She's just not sure she'd be comfortable having a car that costs this much. I was always getting the MS. MY wife will probably need a test drive, and some counseling to get over the price issue. My prediction is that she'll get it. She just wants me to convince her that she's not being a brat. :smile:

I plan on replacing the wife's Range Rover Sport Supercharged for the Model X but want to drive the car first. Probably won't reserve and just get an inventory car or one that someone reserved but didn't buy, seems to happen a lot...

We have an S, and also have an X reserved. My wife loves my car, and the size/capabilities (AWD) are perfect for her needs. However, it appears as though the X will be on the same price level as the MS. She's having trouble "getting over" the brat factor of buying such an expensive car. We can afford it with no issue whatsoever. I want her to have it but am trying to not pressure her final decision. She's just not sure she'd be comfortable having a car that costs this much. I was always getting the MS. MY wife will probably need a test drive, and some counseling to get over the price issue. My prediction is that she'll get it. She just wants me to convince her that she's not being a brat. :smile:

To be honest, this sounds almost exactly like our situation. My wife loves my Model S but is very uneasy with the price. Yet the latest batch of pictures of the prototype in Palo Alto got us to "let's make a reservation" :)

Seems like a lot of "spousal" influence on this thread. We were already planning on a MS purchase and then I convinced wife that a MX reservation was a wise hedge. I anticipate that we'll take delivery of a MS long before our reservation on the MX turns into a production confirmation request and depending on how much we fight over the MS up until that point will be a big factor in how much follow through we have on the MX! I'm not opposed to having both.

Seems like a lot of "spousal" influence on this thread. We were already planning on a MS purchase and then I convinced wife that a MX reservation was a wise hedge. I anticipate that we'll take delivery of a MS long before our reservation on the MX turns into a production confirmation request and depending on how much we fight over the MS up until that point will be a big factor in how much follow through we have on the MX! I'm not opposed to having both.
Perhaps, historically, the ladyfolk were a bit more reluctant about adopting something like an EV. My wife was supportive, but just and quite skeptical. Until it was her daily driver for a couple weeks while I was convalescing from some injuries...now she's a believer.

Maybe some natural skepticism to start.

Here's how my story goes...

My wife, having never driven a vehicle worth more than $10,000 in her entire life, started driving a Chevy Traverse for our 3 boys in 2010. Fast forward to early 2013, now we have 4 boys. One day when the kids were off school, she was going to take them to the St. Louis Science Center to play around. She had always refused to drive the Model S, "because it cost too much". I told her "Just take it. It'll save $28 in gas driving there, and you get to charge for free and park right up front!" She had to be cajoled several times, until she caved and I taught her about the J1772 adapter, and some of the things she'd need to know.

Well, that one time became the occasional use for the trips to St. Louis. Then occasional use became once a week... thrice a week... five times a week... until it was basically a matter of if I'm not driving it, she is. Then, one day she came home and asked, "so, when does that Model X come out?"

Reservation placed... upgraded to Sig a few weeks ago. I have to wrestle the Model S from under her now.

I love my Model S, I wouldn't want the Model X for myself. Not my style in the least.
My wife's car still has 50000+ miles left in it. And with it being paid for it will be tough to get rid of in the next 3-4 years.
The next car I purchase will be electric. My wife is convinced of this as well. It may or may not be a Tesla.
I won't buy a car that can't do 100 miles in between charges, while driving 70, in the cold, and rain. So a LEAF x2.
Right now the only thing out there meeting my expectation is the Model S, and the Model X (supposedly).

That being said, my wife really likes my car. And really likes the Model X. I could very well see that sitting beside my Model S in our garage. I could see a Gen III, or even a LEAF+ by the time we get another vehicle.

honestly I want a GenIII performance ++GOOD. And I want my wife to have an X. Maybe in 5 years I could make that happen with my finances.

But all in all unless some other manufactures start offering 100+ miles real range (as I will do 100 mile days 5+ times a month). I really don't see getting anything but Teslas.

I'm keeping an eye on it. The wife's daily driver is a Honda Odyssey that I'd love to replace with a Model X..... if it made sense. My wife and two little ones use the hell out of that minivan, so replacing it with something 2.5x more expensive AND less functional just because Daddy thinks it would be cool isn't really an option. I promised myself I would never own a minivan, but once the second kid came along and I caved on that promise, I had to admit to myself that they're ridiculously practical vehicles.

If my wife were good with it, I'd still personally have to overcome the price/functionality hurdle. It was one thing to drop $40k on an Odyssey that's getting beat to hell with daily use. It's a WHOLE 'NOTHER STORY altogether to imagine dropping $100k on a Tesla Model X just to see it get the same treatment. But that's where my mind goes more than anything when I consider making us a 2 Tesla household.

Much as I love the S, we're not at all likely to get the X. My wife's CR-V is only six months old, she still really likes it, and the S is already a bigger car (and far more expensive) than we had been planning to buy. If the supercharger network is indeed built out as planned (not much here on the east coast yet but I'm optimistic), maybe we'd get a Model E / Gen3 when it's time to replace the CR-V. But whatever and whenever it is, I do hope our next car can be 100% electric.