Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You have your Model 3 - how much head turning do you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
As a very soon-to-be Model 3 owner, I’m curious as to how much head-turning those who already have their cars get. Is the head-turning bewilderment, excitement, or contempt? o_O What random comments do you get?

I now see a Model 3 almost every day in Sydney. There is a growing number which is very exciting to see!

To be honest, very little. Much much less than I was expecting. I think it has a lot to do with the fact the car is so conventional looking from a lot of angles. I’ve had a lot more head turning from previous bmw and Mercedes that I have owned which had a much sportier look to them.

Put someone in the interior though and everyone is surprised by how different it is.

As a very soon-to-be Model 3 owner, I’m curious as to how much head-turning those who already have their cars get. Is the head-turning bewilderment, excitement, or contempt? o_O What random comments do you get?

I now see a Model 3 almost every day in Sydney. There is a growing number which is very exciting to see!
If you want some attention walk around the carpark with your advanced summon in follow me mode. Obviously have your windows down so they can see the headless driver. You can call your car like you might a dog for added impact.
But if contempt is more your thing, you can still sneak up on pedestrians walking aimlessly through a carpark and blast your horn at them from 1m away.

Kids get excited more than adults I find
It's the best car for kids, they all love Tesla.

I've had mine for a week, no attention from adults, none. It's a plain looking car. Uf you are after a head turning car you need to look elsewhere.

I pay attention to other Tesla on the road, but that's only because I was interested in getting one and now have one myself.

Last edited:
Uf you are after a head turning car you need to look elsewhere
Oh no, the last thing I want is to buy a car purely for its “head turning” ability! That would be vanity.

I was just curious as to what to expect with Model 3 from those who’ve had them for a while now. When we got our LEAF we got a reasonable amount of head-turning in the first couple of years. Back then there were fewer than 600 electric cars on the road in all of NSW. Very occasionally still get a head turn, but it’s rare.

I’ve actually found lots of people are interested. Very difficult to get away quickly at a rapid charger as people come over for a chat about the car. I’ve had people approach me in shopping center car parks and ask lots of questions. Kids are definitely the most aware. I was driving down a street near my house and two boys on scooters stopped and clapped, chanting Tes La Tes La as I passed which was rather amusing. There’s something about that teenage demographic though they seem to get it, that it’s their future. My little cousin insisted I drive her and her friend to school last week, turned out their scheme was to be seen arriving in the Tesla by the boys

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
The only place for school bags is the frunk, according to my 9 and 7 year old - for the 'wow' factor when they get them out in front of their friends :D

I find the S gets lots of head turns still. Although it is nothing like a porsche where everyone's head turns. The people whose heads are turning KNOW what it is, if that makes sense?

Lots of lots of conversations from people at shopping centres when charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
For the most part, the head turning occurs when something new or unusual is noticed. When it becomes common, less attention is paid. Same thing with when it looks like everything else on the road. The new head turner will be the Cybertruck. That thing will be wrenching heads for a long time. lol

Back on 2015 I had lot of attention (crowds even) with my S, really none anymore....Model X gets attention when the back doors are opened (kids always love it) and I fully expect to get no attention from the general public when I get my 3 on Saturday (Strangely enough I’m expecting attention from S drivers, we shall see)

I’ve had some very excited Model S drivers, and a few kids who recognised that it was the new Tesla. Mostly I’m happy that it runs under the radar. Having an ordinary looking car makes the EV discussions an easier sell. Mostly - Ohh that’s an EV (yes). How far can you go (420 real world km). Where can you charge it (everywhere - shows PlugShare map).

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Agree, have had the same and a few thumbs up. It's looks from people who know what it is and are checking it out and appreciating it.

Only curious look I've had is from a porsche driver, but to be fair I was at a petrol station so I deserved some scrutiny!
I’ve been harassed by the police for being at a petrol station. They considered it suspicious. The officer insisted that I show him all the tesla features......although he did decline the drag race.

My kids keep waving at every Tesla they spot.. Tesla is definitely very popular in kids and youth, my son runs an honour based Tesla spotting competition in his class and half of his class is involved in spotting Teslas. One kid even claimed spotting a Tesla Roadster this week and this is a private school where it's not uncommon to see Ferraris, Bentleys or lamborghinis on school pick up runs.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL