Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You haven’t ordered yet - here’s the thread to discuss why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
There’s naturally been a lot of excitement over the first deliveries of Model 3 to Australia... but there’s still plenty of curiosity as to how many Model 3s ongoing Tesla will sell here after the initial pent-up demand is out the door and on the streets.

So who here is still biding their time before ordering? Any particular reasons why that you’d be happy to share? Do you think the ongoing sales will be similar the initial burst, or even increase as word-of-mouth takes effect?

(In my case it’s no secret I have been waiting for white interior to be made available on LR AWD :))

Interested in those of us who haven’t pulled the trigger yet!

For what its worth, the delivery "estimate" for orders (in Australia) is still October.
That's close to being Oct for 6 weeks now.
I'm guessing they are expecting to be caught up by the end of October.
I'll be interested to see if it changes tomorrow (1st Oct), or when it does change.
If it's realistic, then delivery time frames should not be an issue for a purchase decision.

The answer is mostly in my signature!

Short answer: Money

Long answer:
- Two months after ordering I decided I couldn't wait and bought a second hand Leaf. Overall it's been a good choice. It's covered 80% of our household kilometres for 1/3 the cost of a Model 3, three years earlier. However paying for that has affected the finances a bit...

When the M3 was available...
- Initial price was slightly more than what I had hoped (under $60k drive away)
- Waiting for plain SR (if it ever becomes available - maybe it won't)
- Since we already had the Leaf, which we'll keep - paying 3x what the Leaf cost in order to save the other 20% of our kilometres is a difficult thing to rationalise economically.

I'll be waiting until next year when (a) our personal finances are in a better state (b) the M3 might be cheaper or at least have minor hardware improvements (c) there might be second hand M3s about (d) the MY might be close enough that we'll hold of another year or two and wait for that.

I'll be waiting until next year when (a) our personal finances are in a better state (b) the M3 might be cheaper or at least have minor hardware improvements (c) there might be second hand M3s about (d) the MY might be close enough that we'll hold of another year or two and wait for that.
In which case you’ll definitely be taking over the crown of the person with the longest wait between reservation and purchase!

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq
M3 reservation placed Feb 2018 then cancelled Aug 2019. Now on standby awaiting LR RWD and white interior. I consider this the ideal version for Australia's big distances and hot weather. AWD with its 2 motors I see as unnecessary and a waste of resources.
As fabulous and popular as their vehicles are, Tesla still has to 'shift products', so I expect to see standard marketing tricks such as chopping and changing their model lineups - as they have already done several times.
Other factors include:
- Shanghai G3 starting production in a few months.
- Model Y becoming available next year (or probably 2021). Some potential M3 buyers may prefer MY.
- Quirky Elon.

Day 1 reservation but S and X fill the 2 car garage and I dont want to park on the street. I am holding on to my reservation as the banks are not offering anything of interest anyway and one day i will have a bigger garage or fsd will eventuate which will make AP1 fully redundant.

3 reasons:
(1) I have a ridiculous driveway that necessitates gas struts for ground clearance (I have those on my 2015 Model S). That is not an option for Model 3.
(2) I want solid white, for a brief time that looked like it would happen, but no, pearl white is the closest I could get (I'd gladly pay extra for solid white but it is not offered).
(3) with a couple of weeks before my 4 year warranty expired on my S I tried to get a problem I have with 'dog mode' fixed (the HVAC works perfectly but the display that a well meaning member of the public might look at for reassurance that the dog was fine and the temperature a pleasant 25C shows 27C (setting to a Fahrenheit display shows a similar display error of 4F high), hot enough to get a window broken or the authorities involved. My service reservation was cancelled against my express wishes and Tesla would not even look at my car (they also claimed it is very complicated which I cannot see, bear in mind the cabin temperature is perfect, the problem is the 19" display shows 2C high). I have lost all trust in Tesla service, now a flood of Model 3 cars is on our roads service will only get worse. My car cost $122,000 in 2015, I've had far better service from Ford, GM and Nissan for much cheaper vehicles. Love the car, hate what Tesla service has become.

Reactions: DrHoon