Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You maniacs without PPF, how is your paint holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 MSM LR AWD. I have a few dings on the hood and bumper. Nothing worse than any other car that I have owned. The paint still looks great to me (when I wash it - it takes about 3 days for MSM to start looking dirty. That's not the fault of the paint but of the color). I hand wash (ONR) so I am very familiar with the paint on all parts of the car.

I always question the value of PPF. If it is for paint protection, how much does it cost to respray the hook or the bumper? With PPF, how much MORE do you pay when you have a front fender bender? You would have to pay for fixing the fender as well as losing the original cost you paid for that fender's PPF, plus adding PPF back to that newly repaired fender. It might not be as bad if insurance covers the replacing the PPF. But does it?

@Futaba is correct. But also PPF is a destructive process - they use a paint-stripping gun to nearly liquify the paint and then mash the plastic film into it and slash it up with knives. And there's no safe way to remove PPF either because it often pulls the paint right off. Some shops will even wax the paint prior to installation to reduce the risk in case they need to remove/redo it. And even if you don't encounter the huge hassle of needing a repair, PPF is nowhere near as durable as paint so it'll eventually start to look ratty and tempt you to remove it, which is also very expensive.

@Futaba is correct. But also PPF is a destructive process - they use a paint-stripping gun to nearly liquify the paint and then mash the plastic film into it and slash it up with knives. And there's no safe way to remove PPF either because it often pulls the paint right off. Some shops will even wax the paint prior to installation to reduce the risk in case they need to remove/redo it. And even if you don't encounter the huge hassle of needing a repair, PPF is nowhere near as durable as paint so it'll eventually start to look ratty and tempt you to remove it, which is also very expensive.
Go and get some proper advice! The paint is polished first because there is no point sealing in a poor finish the rest of the post is also pants. To answer the OP the model Y has got plastic "rockers" (sills in UK) and ppf on the area where the rear doors meet the fender? (Rear wheel arch - UK). This is weak area for paint damage and a self application ppf (diy kit) option from the Tesla shop on the Model 3. This ppf should be standard like it is on most cars. kit was offered free in some Countries e.g. Canada (OP) (or mudflaps which do nothing). Better to get professionally advice. I managed to get ppf in this small area for similar price and fitted by pro.

For a little reference. I am getting my hood and bumper re PPF'd after 200k in miles. Next week I will show some pics of what the paint looks like after those miles and PPF removal.

Very happy with both Tesla's in full Xpel.

Some insurer's cover if you state up front and is added into the policy value of what is insured. For instance, my insurance company also knows that I have carbon fiber mirror covers along with the PPF and they are insured in the value of the car.

And as always, it's in the application process, not the product most of the time. So pick your installer carefully, and ask all the questions you can.

You can argue whether it might be worth someone to pay for ppf…which I think it is lol. BUT everything else you mentioned is a bunch of misinformation. Paint stripping gun? If you’re talking about paint correction it’s the same procedure that should be done on all cars off the dealers lot (Tesla, Honda, BMW, Porsche etc). Whether you’re getting ppf or not. Any good installer will not damage the paint when cutting the PPF. PPF can absolutely be pulled off without removing the paint….on a quality paint job. I had upgraded the bumper on my BMW to a newly painted mtec bumper and custom painted CF front lip….all of which was PPF‘d after being baked. Years later the person I sold it to pulled it off without any issues….and the paint underneath was flawless. Much less hassle than having to repaint it…same as would have been for me If I didn’t sell it.

can’t answer the OP question since my whole front end is PPF’d lol. But on the flip side my ppf is holding up great! My neighbor who is a car guy came over the other day and was asking me how I liked my car now that I’ve had it for a while. He couldn’t believe how well the paint looked after over 3yrs and 45k miles of highway driving in our area. When I said it had PPF he was even more surprised because he couldn’t tell it was there. PPF has gotten even better in the 10yrs since I PPF‘d my BMW. Self healing, zero orange peel.

Last edited:
I always question the value of PPF. If it is for paint protection, how much does it cost to respray the hook or the bumper? With PPF, how much MORE do you pay when you have a front fender bender? You would have to pay for fixing the fender as well as losing the original cost you paid for that fender's PPF, plus adding PPF back to that newly repaired fender. It might not be as bad if insurance covers the replacing the PPF. But does it?
When I damaged my rocker, the bodyshop was going to re-apply PPF, after pulling the dent and re-spraying. I told them not to, since I wanted to wait before applying the PPF. I did it myself, after a month. Now, if it were a more expensive piece of PPF, I'd let them do it.

Reactions: Futaba
This is false info and a myth. PPF and the application process is not destructive. Bad films, installers, and poor paint/clear coat quality are the problem. Tesla does have _some_ paint quality control issues but it can be corrected. And that's Tesla's fault, not the PPF. Lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Although I chose to go for a whole-car Xpel PPF when I got my P3D in 2018, I also respect those who chose to skip PPF all together. As I have said on other posts, a $9 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine is a perfectly legitimate choice for paint protection. Whether you get PPF or not is a personal choice and there is no one right answer. But you do want to base your decision on accurate information.

If you have PPF installed by a manufacturer-authorized installer, it usually comes with a long-term warranty. For example, my Xpel PPF came with a 10-year warranty that is transferable to a new owner when I sell the car. And Xpel is known to really stand behind their products.

Tesla paint is on the softer side, but, IMO, the main reasons Model 3's are more prone to rock chips are 1) The entire front bumper is a painted surface (no grills) so the paint on the bumper is more likely to get chipped. 2) The car has so much torque and we so frequently floor it (have to enjoy our "Tesla smiles") that the lower areas of the car behind the wheels are extremely likely to get chipped.

I have made a couple insurance claims (my P3D was hit twice in two separate parking lot incidents). My State Farm policy definitely covered the cost to replace the PPF.

Most importantly, for a lot of minor bumps and dings, the PPF SAVES you money and time. When my front fender was dinged by someone opening their car door next to me, the PPF absorbed the blow. The paint was not even scratched. The force of the blow was very strong, so the PPF tore and had to be replaced. It cost a total of $125 and took a little over an hour. If did not have the PPF on there, the bumper would have needed painting at a body shop.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Funny that people got so defensive when I mentioned that PPF is installed by mashing hard plastic tools into the paint after softening it with a stripping gun and then hacking at it with razor blades. It can be done carefully, sure, but that's literally the process. Your installer should have told you that and I'm sorry you had to hear it from me.

PPF shops commonly screw up the installation and need to redo it for various reasons. If the paint peels off at this point you might be able to convince Tesla to pay for the repair as some of these people did. But if it peels off in 5 or 10 years, you're on your own.

Screenshot 2021-12-11 112504.png

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Funny that people got so defensive when I mentioned that PPF is installed by mashing hard plastic tools into the paint after softening it with a stripping gun and then hacking at it with razor blades. It can be done carefully, sure, but that's literally the process. Your installer should have told you that and I'm sorry you had to hear it from me.

PPF shops commonly screw up the installation and need to redo it for various reasons. If the paint peels off at this point you might be able to convince Tesla to pay for the repair as some of these people did. But if it peels off in 5 or 10 years, you're on your own.

View attachment 743258
Perhaps you went to the wrong shop? I watched the guy install my PPF. Your description is like a parallel universe.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel and lUtriaNt
Paint is holding WELL. Front bumper is flawless still...I'm honestly a bit surprised.

I thought Tesla paint is not the greatest but here I am with no PPF and perfect front after thousands of miles.
Mine had been pretty much the same before moving to Florida. Suddenly, all that changed with what most people on the southern and southeastern coast know as "love bugs". Their innards etch the paint if left too long (I did). So on the new MY I had PPF installed. If I don't get the bugs off in time they just etch the PPF.

View attachment 743258
I dunno. I installed my own PPF, and I didn't soften the paint with a heat gun, or hack at it with a razor blade since I used pre-cuts. Even the plastic tool, I don't feel like I mashed it "into the paint". It glides.