Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"You people"? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I put more blame on admins than mods in this case.
I contest the "undiscussability" of the ban, because it creates a strange, paradoxical environment where posts and users can (theoretically) be evaporated without explanation, and nobody can ask questions.
I've been a mod in other venues, but the community there has rules and guidelines that more transparent, and the whole community was responsible for decisions.
Different environment, I guess.

I repeat that the fact that we can here talk about this is different from the earlieast response, where posts about neroden were deleted on sight.

I've been busy and away from TMC for a while, which means I'm hundreds/thousands? of posts behind in the main investor forum.

Last night I spent a few minutes reading some of Thursday morning's early posts, and came across a poll by @KarenRei poll regarding service, which looked like an effort to debunk a suggestion @neroden had made for a Say dot com question for the earnings call on the 24th. Neroden's post was a bit hyperbolic in expressing his concerns about Tesla service and customer communications -- issues I largely agree with.

I wanted to participate in the poll but found it closed. So I looked at the results and they were not the least bit suprising: overwhelming disagreement with Neroden's points, debunked one by one right down the line. But the reason this wasn't surprising is because I felt the poll was flawed, and its results meaningless.

So I clicked on the "reply" link on KarenRei's post, and typed up a reply, where I argued that there's a strong likelihood that LOCATION is the key to whether service/communications is good or not. If there is no service center in the region, or state, or province where you as an owner are located, yes, you can experience "Tesla service hell." If you are in LA or SF or NY or FLA or Norway or somewhere like that, maybe it's Nirvana. I argued that if you don't ask the Tesla owner's location in a poll, then the poll's no good.

That was it, I typed up the reply, and submitted it and went to bed.

This morning I was curious to see what folks thought of my comment. But I noticed it was gone.

Then I noticed this in my Alerts:

View attachment 432341

Clearly some irate moderator. Conveniently, no idea who.

But . . . "you people"? "Can't you read"?

Read what? I saw a "reply" link and I replied. So I went back and looked, and noticed hours and many posts after KarenRei's poll had been posted, a moderator had declared in pink or green or purple or whatever text color moderators are wont to post in, an edict that nobody was allowed to comment about Tesla service anymore in the investor forum.

Guess what: I did not see that.

The moderator clearly thinks I should have seen that. Well, I did not. And I don't deserve to have my post outright deleted, and I don't deserve to be spoken to this way.

You know, this TMC management attitude (and I blame management for any behavior of the moderators) just about does it for me. The attitude of TMC's management is unacceptable. TMC's outright ownership of participant content has always been a problem for me.

And you know what? Don't trot out the volunteer trope about moderators. I don't give a flying kcuf if moderators are volunteers. This is a for-profit business, this TMC enterprise, and the owners must be laughing all the way to the bank at the idea that the moderators are willing to be volunteers rather than get paid. Moderators: you should quit rather than treat people like tihs.

Here's the thing: if TMC management doesn't want people posting on some arbitrary topic, then you need to disable "Reply" buttons. Change the software. Add a control that enables you to disable the "Reply" buttons on selective posts. Mark them as no longer replyable. What you don't do is capriciously and arbitrarily delete someone's legitimate post at 1:44am in the morning, and attack the author with a shitty attitude.

That's how you lose forum participants.

Like me.

I'm taking some time off from TMC. Maybe a lot of time off. I'm not sure I'm coming back.
That's happened to me, on a post I spent two hours writing.
I've since decreased my participation 90-95%.

Other than @neroden, moderators (or admins) also silenced @DaveT with series of unfriendly actions, including closing his thread.
Whatever, maybe this site was really becoming too influential for Tesla's own good?

I reject plenty of reports in Model 3 and Y, where I moderate. I'm sure the person reporting the post thinks I'm unfair for rejecting it, and if I moved or deleted the post, the person who posted it would think I was unfair. And observers will agree with one or the other, depending on their stance on the issue or on moderation in general. This is why it's a losing effort in many ways - it's rare to make a decision that doesn't upset at least one person.
Once in a while I get a post moved or removed. That's okay. I'm certainly not upset because of it.

"Assume best intentions" is the best advice I can give anyone when it comes to how things are moderated. We're really trying our best to help out the community.
Unless you are a professional writer, it's very hard to think about how other's might see your post. What works in conversation, often doesn't work in print because print has no vocal inflection or body language. I generally assume that this is why I'm reading the post as antagonistic rather than the way it was intended to be read. Very seldom is a post meant to be antagonistic (trolls excepted).

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Still do not know if ban is permanent. Based on lack of response I guess it is.

This is the sickening irony of the whole thing: the lack of communication and clarity by the management of this forum business eerily resembles the very lack of communication and clarity that Neroden, me, and others have said is an ongoing problem with Tesla.

This site has no clear, up-front process in writing about how the management decides to ban a participant and then when they do, what happens then, what if any recourse exists, what is the term of the ban, and how and where it’s communicated as to why the person was banned. Everything should be out in the open. Any decent online community would have this in place.

If your place of employment 'deleted' a coworker you'd known for years without any explanation whatsoever you'd be down with that?

Interestingly enough, I find myself in that very situation at work. While I know the details of this person's impending departure, out of respect for the individual's privacy, I am not at liberty to discuss the situation with the rest of the staff. We'll have a meeting afterward talking about how we move forward and reviewing our policies with the rest of the staff.

Last edited:
As a former moderator of this site (actually the first mod, not counting owners), I thought I'd weigh in. I've been privvy to plenty of discussions in the past 'behind the curtain' and there's always more to the story than it appears on the surface.

In my years here, no one was ever banned for criticizing Tesla, NO ONE - only for violating TOS. (Look at footer on this page to find those if you're unfamiliar.) @neroden has always been upfront in his criticism of Tesla & this forum, def of me :) ... since prob 2013. So the current TSLAQ spin of 'TMC is just a shill for Tesla' is completely false.

I have zero idea why he was banned and it's none of my business. Warnings are typically given, unless it was something particularly egregious. (One that comes to mind was a member who stalked me across other social media platforms & personally threatened me, admins saw it and banned him.) And since I doubt Neroden did anything that resulted in permanent ban without warning, I'm going with he probably knew he was walking near the edge of the Ban Cliff.

And yes, moderating is a tough gig. I lasted three years and then resigned. I was either too heavy handed, not heavy handed enough, too flippant, too serious, accused of censorship repeatedly for moving someone's post over to the right area of the forum to mingle with others on the same topic, etc etc etc. The forum was just not fun anymore & I originally joined to enjoy conversations with like-minded people.

I'm sure we'll see Neroden again on one of the many social media platforms. Maybe you'll learn why he was banned from him. Maybe it's only a temporary ban and he'll be back.

If you walk away with anything from this post, it's that the reasons for a ban are really none of our business. We cannot see the conversations that went on behind the scenes and I can think of situations where sharing the reasons for a ban would cross some privacy expectations. Then you open a whole new can of worms with 'why did they tell us about this ban but not that ban?'.

Maybe moderators could have chosen different wording, but I just saw wording from a mod that had reached the end of their rope on this subject. Kind of like my parents used to act after I had one more excuse for coming in past curfew when I was a teen. (Sorry Mom & Dad! Still no regrets, though.)

Lovely photo btw Bonnie :) Are you still driving a Tesla?

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT and bonnie
@neroden's stats are astonishing, really. This is one of the most prolific participants in this forum. The sudden "disappearing" is just chilling.

neroden-stats.png

Compare to the two admins of this site. Just sayin'.

dannydoug.png

Hey you know, we don't know why he was dismissed but typically one is warned before he was banned. Perhaps he will be back and stick to the posting rules. The Tesla community needs to have some rules for the benefit of all.

As previous Global Mod for a forum of about 7000 members, I'd say that in this sort of case the least I would do is clearly state whether the ban is temporary or permanent and that it breached the terms and conditions / rules of the site (if it didn't they wouldn't have been banned*). The rest of the details would of course be confidential.

Moderating is a horrendously difficult job, by the way. It's rare that you can ever win no matter what you do. Transparency, as much as is possible, and communication is the key.

* sometimes people do get banned and then the rules updated

Hey you know, we don't know why he was dismissed but typically one is warned before he was banned. Perhaps he will be back and stick to the posting rules. The Tesla community needs to have some rules for the benefit of all.

I don't know the rules (nobody does, apparently), but if he's permanently banned he probably won't never return. This is what a permanent ban is in other places.