Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You pre-ordered a Tesla Model III, so what, do you have a Plug?

Will it be easier to get at least a (110 v-15A for US) or (220v-10 A for Europe…)?

• I own or rent a separate house, so getting a plug is not an issue.

• I rent a separate house, but my landlord will be reluctant for installing a new plug.

• I rent/own an apartment or a condo, my landlord seems favorable for installing a new Plug.

• I rent/own an apartment or a condo, my landlord will be reluctant for installing a new Plug.

• I park in the street or I don’t have an assigned parking spot.

• I can charge at work.

• There is a public charging station at walking distance from my home.

• I have not thought yet about how to plug when I pre-order my Model III.

• I will certainly cancel my pre-order and get an ICE or Hybrid instead.

• Others.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
About 400,000 pre-ordered a Tesla Model III.

Those future owners will certainly be a different demography of people than the typical Model S owners.

In particular I assume that a large majority will live and rent apartments and will have a shared garage
or will have to park in the street.

The following article from Transport Evolve describes and summarizes this situation:

Staff Car Report: Can You Drive An Electric Car And Rent? We Find Out…

Will it be easier to get at least a (110 v-15A for US) or (220v-10 A for Europe…)?

Please vote and share your option for when you will get you Tesla III.

I estimate that may be half of the future Tesla III will not be able to plug their car in their home.
What are the doable options in this case?

Working on a no trip hazard solution now. The market (that Tesla controls access to) is large enough to get this solved, if they are willing to work as a team with capable suppliers. They have demonstrated that ability with Panasonic. There are other big industrial companies that could solve this part all the way through the commercial offering.

its unlikely that a huge number of renters are sitting on $1,000 reservations without a clue how they will charge at home. People buying $40,000 vehicles have higher than average incomes, and looking at statistics: Behind the Data: Home ownership by income bracket people making $80-99k per year are %80 homeowners, so this is likely not an issue outside of areas where homeownership is uncommon (e.g. silicon valley, NYC).

its unlikely that a huge number of renters are sitting on $1,000 reservations without a clue how they will charge at home.
This is precisely what I was thinking... Anyone in the queue has made up their mind this vehicle suits their situation, or at least their prediction of what that will be in 2 years from now. I can't imagine any will be blindsided by the revelation the thing needs a source of electrons.

In particular I assume that a large majority will live and rent apartments and will have a shared garage
or will have to park in the street.

The following article from Transport Evolve describes and summarizes this situation:

Staff Car Report: Can You Drive An Electric Car And Rent? We Find Out…

I estimate that may be half of the future Tesla III will not be able to plug their car in their home.

It appears that your assumptions and estimations, as well as those in the article, are incorrect as a result of early returns of this survey.

• Funny
Reactions: SureValla
I'm probably an outlier but I live in an apartment and I'm self employed. My current car is completely paid for and I keep my expenses fairly low considering I live in an expensive area. I'm planning to put a large amount of money down if I can stay diligent with my finances and keep the income steady (knock on wood). I'll worry about the charging later, but I certainly don't expect to be in this apartment at that time. Putting a deposit down for this car has been great for me so far. It's made me bust my ass every day and it gives me something tangible to work for. As previously touched on, it's also helping me make smart financial choices. It'll be a hell of a present to myself.

I hope nobody really thinks that plugging a Tesla into a '110 v-15A' outlet will be a viable charging solution. ROTFL
I have a Model S and the 110v - 18A has been working for me. I supercharge for road trips and plug into a normal 110 daily. No issues at all. I get about 50-65 miles added charge daily and only use about 20 miles of charge daily m-f.

its unlikely that a huge number of renters are sitting on $1,000 reservations without a clue how they will charge at home.

I have no idea how I'll charge my Tesla. I've given it no thought whatsoever beyond thinking I'll charge at Superchargers, just like I 'charge' today at gas stations.

I also gave no thought to how I'd charge my laptop before I got the first one, or how I'd charge my various gadgets before I got them. Apple and amazon and so on kindly sent me cords and chargers and I managed to plug them into outlets all my own.

I assume that when Tesla reaches the masses of non-electrical engineers like me, they will sort things out.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lem89 and AndreSF
Did my own 6.12 kW home solar install with Solar Edge Inverter compatible with Tesla PowerWall for future (gogreensolar.com) and added a dedicated NEMA 50 Amp outlet in my garage to prepare (all permitted and inspected). Solar system will produce 110% of my electricity usage from last years usage. I also have 8 Level 2 charging stations with free charging at my work. Between the two, hoping my yearly charging costs for my Model 3 are close to zero. Now just wondering how my long distance travel to Yosemite and Tahoe a few times a year will be completed. Hoping Supercharging is included with certain upgrades as I plan to have a bit of them or there is a simple pay per use as I will honestly only use 3-4 times per year. Just picked up my personalized Yosemite license plates today, installed on my 04' Galant as I anxiously wait!

What, "WHAT"?

110V 15 amp is 1.65 kW, or 16.5 kWh for every 10 hour charging session. With 350 Wh/mile including charging losses, that's 47 miles. 300 charging sessions means 14,143 miles. (20 W x 365 days/year x 24 hours/day) / 350 Wh/mile = 500 miles of vampire losses per year. The total is exactly 13,643 miles.

Though, it occurs to me now that in the US you derate by 20%. So, I guess 15A is actually 12A. That means that a 15A plug is only good for 10,800 miles per year, given the described charging pattern.

Reactions: Ciaopec

By buffer, I think he means add enough battery energy for 13,500 driving miles per year. But actually at 4 miles / hour, which is the practical charge rate for 120 V and 15A, you get 12,000 miles per year (4 miles / hour x 10 hours per day x 300 days).

For the 20 W power drain, if you look at the 2 miles per day loss that people are seeing when not charging, that translates to about 25 W: (300 Wh / mile average for the Model S x 2 miles) / 24 hours = 25 W.

Last edited: