Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You pre-ordered a Tesla Model III, so what, do you have a Plug?

Will it be easier to get at least a (110 v-15A for US) or (220v-10 A for Europe…)?

• I own or rent a separate house, so getting a plug is not an issue.

• I rent a separate house, but my landlord will be reluctant for installing a new plug.

• I rent/own an apartment or a condo, my landlord seems favorable for installing a new Plug.

• I rent/own an apartment or a condo, my landlord will be reluctant for installing a new Plug.

• I park in the street or I don’t have an assigned parking spot.

• I can charge at work.

• There is a public charging station at walking distance from my home.

• I have not thought yet about how to plug when I pre-order my Model III.

• I will certainly cancel my pre-order and get an ICE or Hybrid instead.

• Others.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first EV only had a 120 volt 12 amp charger and my second EV only had a 120 volt 15 amp charger. (see signature) It was OK (not great) but it did work. It was just a very slow process.

However with todays larger battery packs, having a NEMA14-50 outlet at home should be considered the bare minimum.

There are two articles linked to in this thread. They indicate a very serious problem. Obviously, the vast majority of people on this forum do not have this problem. I feel that as a result there's an air of dismissiveness towards those of us who do.

I rent an apartment. BTW, I used to rent a house but had to move. In some cities, obviously, most people rent, and they rent apartments, not houses. If you rent or own a house, even if your landlord does allow you to install a charger, and then move to an apartment, what then? You're one job move/divorce/whatnot away from not being able to charge your Tesla.

I think people here err in that they don't consider that the goal is to be inclusive in order to move the world to sustainable energy, and that means making a car that everyone can buy as long as they can put down the downpayment and pretty reasonable monthly payments. People here are mostly techies. Most people out there are not. The goal is to get the car to the rest of us, not to have an exclusive club.

Model 3 is the indication to the world that the game is changing. For it to change, you can't exclude whole segments of the population, especially when these are people who desperately want a Tesla. I'm not mechanically or technically minded. I shouldn't have to be in order to own a Tesla. It needs to be plug and play for everyone. That doesn't make non-techies idiots as some here seem to feel. We just don't think about things the same way you do. I thought Tesla would take care of this problem just as I get all technical and mechanical problems taken care of by someone else. This might be difficult for this predominantly male forum to grasp.

I'd like to hear from Tesla what they think about this problem.
I think your concern is legitimate, but premature. The Roadster and the Model S were meant to change how people thought about electric cars, not be the electric cars everyone and anyone could own and drive. The Model 3 moves the crosshairs down market quite a bit. It will change how many more people view electric cars. But it's still not an electric car for everyone. You still need enough income to justify it, and you still need a way to charge it. For now, that means a garage or a stall with an appropriate outlet.
Once half a million members (and more) of this much bigger and much more middle market adopt an EV as their daily driver, I expect a tipping point in the shift to this new technology will be reached. Tesla will shift the crosshairs once again. This time, instead of targeting the BMW 3 Series, they will target the Honda Civics and Toyota Camrys of the world. And the charging infrastructure (as well as battery charge rates and capacities) will have improved to the point where small and relatively inexpensive electric cars become much more thinkable, even without a home-based charger.
My $.02.
Robin

Friendly mod note: Can we lay off of @littlecloudy? He has requested an account and post removal upthread. That request has been pushed up the pipe, but until then we can probably move on with other on-topic conversation.
To be fair, most of those replies from after the removal request are to posts that appear before the removal request, so the users of those replies most likely hadn't seen the removal request.

I saw the request and hadn't planned to say anything else until he went on his dislike spree the day after his removal request.

I have a Model S and the 110v - 18A has been working for me. I supercharge for road trips and plug into a normal 110 daily. No issues at all. I get about 50-65 miles added charge daily and only use about 20 miles of charge daily m-f.

Precisely my plans too. I have a main service panel that is expansion challenged, so I'm going to see if I can do without the 240V method. Have estimate on Friday, but if they want to replace entire panel or similar, nope will be my answer. I have 8, 24x7 superchargers a couple of miles from my house. When I'm headed for long range, go there for 20-30 minutes, drink a soda, possibly chat with fellow owners, and be on my way... :D

• Informative
Reactions: linkster