Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You Still On Your Honeymoon?

I love my new Model S, and...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am happy with the car and every second has been enjoyable.

I like the recent 0-60 upgrade on 75D and wish I got one too. But I don't think I would like to wait this long for a second faster.

There is no way of me going back to ICE cars. ;)
I hear ya. I have my twin turbo 2010 Camaro that I'll probably never get rid of. It's more like a car show / weekend driver. But my work daily is a 2014 Chevy Silverado. Tesla should start making trucks ASAP!

Reactions: Maximilien
- How long did the honeymoon phase last? Or are you still in it? For me car ownership is always a bit of a love/hate kind of thing. I don't tend to get boring cars, the the Model S is certainly not a boring car. There are things I absolutely love, and there are things I think they're completely nutty for how they designed.

- Any buyers remorse or regret now that the exciting technology and speed dust have settled? Nope. I think I timed it pretty well.

- Any new unpublished tips to share? I think people overlook getting xpel-ultimate for the read trunk entrance. The trunk entrance and how it's designed lends itself to getting scratched by loading things in and out of the trunk. I would also try to keep some towels in the trunk to help protect the interior when you inevitably load some huge item into. The trunk is absolutely gargantuan, and it's hard to resist the urge to get a 65" OLED TV just to see if it will fit. It does of course fit. :)

Reactions: benjiejr
As for Debbie Downers, while there certainly are people who have been massively disillusioned by Tesla on TMC (hello @oktane ;) ), I don't think they are on this thread much. The reactions I see are actually quite normal and understandable to me on the rather more positive "the car is good and/but..." end of the spectrum, where the difference is what is said after that "and/but...".

Some people indeed sing the praises of their car and feel genuinely happy about it every (or most) times they drive it for years after purchase. I have no trouble at all believing that, because I've been there too. It is a transformative experience and Tesla did great on the drivetrain. But got to be honest. I just drove my Model X before writing this message and the experience was, I think the best word I can describe it, absolutely... neutral. Everyday. Humdrum. And it remains, today, I believe the best Tesla money can buy (for a few more weeks perhaps...), so it isn't for example because I skimped on something Tesla offers, nor do I have any regrets on what I bought (I think I timed it well).

Is it because I dislike some stuff Tesla the company does? No. Not really. The company debate is for the Internet and intellectual, theoretical part of my mind, it has little to do with my feelings on the car. It is partly because no matter how good the car is in some parts, it is lacking in others - the interior doesn't exhilarate me, though the drivetrain does, for example. But mostly it is because - at the end of the day - it is still a car and for me new cars lose their shine after a time. Tesla is not immune to that and neither is the BEV experience. After a while it indeed becomes humdrum for some of us, even if at the beginning it was exciting.

And sometimes the car is just a chore. Planning a BEV route and schedule is hard/impossible at times and as a Model X owner the doors do give me some pause where I can take the car and where not. For me the reality is opposite to some here: I drive it less than I would an equivalent ICE, because I do leave it home more often for these reasons. So I think the thread started asked a very nice and pertinent question, even though I can't find anything applicable in the poll itself. The notion that Tesla and BEVs would somehow have infinite honeymoons for all or even most people seems unrealistic. At some point honeymoons tend to end and "real" life start...

Even though the honeymoon is over, I don't personally consider myself negative on Tesla the car at all. Just more like, positively neutral. Put it this way: Everyday appreciation, not appreciation every day... If that makes sense.

Tesla the company may be a different debate.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
I've had my 85D since Feb 2015 and I am still in the "honeymoon" phase after 2.5 years and 50,000 miles. I love the car every day. Every time I get in the car to drive anywhere (even to the grocery), it puts a smile on my face. I will never buy any other brand of car. We've taken four long road trips (3,000 to 4,000 miles) through Western US and Canada and the car is the most comfortable road trip car I have ever owned. It's smooth and quiet and the AP features make it stress free.
I have had a few minor problems (water in rear lens, front camera) which have been quickly fixed by the excellent service people in Rocklin.
Best car and car company ever!

I've gotten bored with my cars at about the 2 year point since I've owned cars. And I would NEVER in a MILLION years even entertain the idea of buying the same model twice. The HORROR. Well, see my signature below. I'm on S #2, like so many other Tesla owners.

I bought my first Tesla online without ever having seen or driven one, again like many early owners. I ADORED that car. So much so, I forfeited some $$$ just so I could sell her to people who I knew loved her and would take good care of her (thanks @Jdcorbitt3!)

I actually experienced a mourning period over her "loss", and my new one didn't initially bring me the joy I expected. Initially. Trust me, I quickly grew to love her!

So, over 4 years and two Model Essesses later, still showing up at Cars & Coffees and car shows, showing off Summon and excitedly telling people all about her!

I got my car June of 2016 and I think the "honeymoon" (though I never thought of it in those terms) is still going strong. We host a get together over a weekend every summer and the car was a constant topic of conversation this year. One friend was asking about how it handles in snow and when I told her my SO had to admit it handled better than her Subaru, my friend was solidly sold, though she will have to wait until her divorce sorts out and her life settles down. She's also more in the Model 3 than Model S market. She had fun driving my car though.

From being on the forum for a couple of years, the two biggest disappointments people tend to have with Tesla is their car is not the latest and greatest within a few months of buying it and, for those used to comparably priced cars, Tesla is not as luxurious. Probably the #3 gripe is from those who got unlucky and got a car that had problems. This is much more common with the early Model S (and to some extent Model X) than the most recent cars.

To fully enjoy the experience, manage expectations. Especially for the first two gripes. I don't have AP2 or the 100 KWh battery and a lot of things are standard now that were in the premium package and the interior doesn't have the accommodations of a 5 star hotel Mercedes offers, but so what?

My last car cost $22K new and I drove it for 24 years. It didn't have an infotainment system. It didn't even have a CD player. That was an expensive option. The seats were blue velour. The luxury of other $100K cars is just a massive turn off for me. I'd never shell out that kind of money for one of those cars even if money was no object.

I have AP1, but I rarely use it. What's the point when I have a car that's so much fun to drive? If I get stuck in traffic or under conditions I would use cruise control on my old car I'll use it, but the rest of the time actually driving the car is too much fun to let a computer do it for me.

Having the 335 miles of range would be nice when I have to go down to California. It would enable me to skip a few more super chargers than I can now, but it's not that huge a deal and I expected it when I bought the car. In a few years even bigger batteries with even more range will be available. I might pay for a battery upgrade when the range boost gets big enough, though I'm very happy with my 0% degradation on the battery.

I never really liked driving, but now find excuses to do it. This last year was pretty stressful including 7 months of health related hell for my SO. Having to run errands was a nice break instead of the time suck it used to be.

There is still a part of me who thinks I'm nuts for shelling out as much money I did on this car, but for some reason it never crosses my mind when I'm in the car.

I have owned my S85D for just over a year now. Definitely still in honeymoon phase and I drive it any chance I get.

I love planning road trips all over the continent, and the S is in its element driving "five over" on the interstates with (HW1) autopilot engaged. Charging support has been great so far, and getting better every day. Service has been a stellar experience for me so far, and all the car has needed is its annual maintenance, with a minor trim fix when it was in.

GSP

For the past 23 years I have been married, When it was just the 2 of us going somewhere, we almost always took my car. I have always bought my wife nicer cars than I drive, but I enjoy driving my car. Since My wife got @Btrflyl8e S, we almost always drive her car. We love the S so much, I have purchased my last ICE. I am hoping my 3 comes by December. Then we will be an all EV household. It just doesn't get old driving the Tesla.

John

95K miles and it's still great. We even had our second wedding an honeymoon with it (DFW to Seattle).
Denise_Jerry_1.jpg

After 16 moths with my 90D, I think I am still int the honeymoon stage. But, we just had our first argument and are now making up. On out trip from Houston to Asheville over the last couple of weeks, we have had the AC stop blowing a number of times, the last time for about an hour. Not sure why. The air that was coming out was cold, there just wasn't much of it. The fan was making a racket, but there was no air. Every time, the issue resolved itself or the AC was back to normal after a charging stop. The AC was perfect on the last day of the trip and has been working ever since.
Like every vehicle, there will be times were something will make you unhappy, but my Tesla has some many great characteristics, it is pretty easy to make up again.

For the past 23 years I have been married, When it was just the 2 of us going somewhere, we almost always took my car. I have always bought my wife nicer cars than I drive, but I enjoy driving my car. Since My wife got @Btrflyl8e S, we almost always drive her car. We love the S so much, I have purchased my last ICE. I am hoping my 3 comes by December. Then we will be an all EV household. It just doesn't get old driving the Tesla.

John
You really got a great one. She's such a good car early build and all. I'm so thankful she has such a good home! We'll have to meet for dinner when you get your 3!

3.5 years on my S - still honeymooning. And by that, I mean that even today I said "I love this car" out loud twice while driving. That sounds hyperbolic, but it's not. I truly love it.

My X isn't my biggest love affair, but towing an Airstream with it across the country (and the lovely neighboring one) certainly brought it close to parity with my S. If it didn't have the falcon wing doors, I'd probably prefer it.

Still, I wouldn't trade either car for another production vehicle at this point. Show me a competitive EV and I'll absolutely consider it.

Until then, the honeymoon continues.

Reactions: benjiejr and ChadS
How's the honeymoon going for those "like me that are late to the party" ? And picking up CPO cars now? I just got a 2012 S85 Signature Vin # 162 optioned out just like I would have done it in 2012 (if I didn't have two kids in college back then). But now they have flown the coup and I revisited the notion and snagged one. I'm hoping for a honeymoon phase and even though it is an "outdated legacy" Model S it is new to me! and still has capability not found in anything else I have ever owned! Here's to the honeymoon phase two?? lol!!
as @whitex says I'll be back in some months to see if I'm still feeling like a 16 year old with a freshly minted drivers license.

Reactions: benjiejr