Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You thoughts on becoming Teslanaires buying shares post S&P500 inclusion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

There are many reports that early day bullish Tesla investors have became Tesalanaires right before S&P500 inclusion.
He began buying Tesla at just $7.50, and now he’s retiring at 39 years old with $12 million worth — he still refuses to sell a single share
Tesla: Soaring share price creates army of 'Teslanaires'

But what your thought on becoming Teslanaires for someone just found out about Tesla and start investing in Tesla post s&p500 inclusion?
I think someone retiring at 39, solely because they have 12 million in Tesla shares (not in dollars), is an absolute moron.

I would assume this person has a more diversified portfolio along with other assets that are allowing him to make this move thoughtfully.

For new investors, you’re not going to become a “Teslanaire” unless you already have significant capital to pony up. Which defeats the purpose.

Time to find another horse to bet on if that is your goal.

Last edited:
I bought my first TSLA shares in 2012 and then joined here in 2013. There was lots of talk of recent Teslanaires and I never thought I would join them. 8 years later and I’m a Teslanaire many times over. I think there is still room for a lot of growth for TSLA over the next 5-10 years but it will probably require patience and ups and downs (like we all went through) to reach that level.

I think someone retiring at 39, solely because they have 12 million in Tesla shares (not in dollars), is an absolute moron.

Why do you think this would make someone a "moron"?

I think he's very wise to "retire" and spend his time doing what he wants to do rather than doing what anyone else wants him to do for the rest of his life. Good on him, sounds like an intelligent decision to me.

Why do you think this would make someone a "moron"?

I think he's very wise to "retire" and spend his time doing what he wants to do rather than doing what anyone else wants him to do for the rest of his life. Good on him, sounds like an intelligent decision to me.
Because he doesn’t have any money to retire on until he sells his shares, which he says he is not willing to do. So he has a few hundred pieces of paper with “Tesla” written on them.

Barring some other level of financial security, this is a terrible move. Are you a BTC millionaire? Would you retire on that without selling any coins? Same situation.

A LOT can happen in the next 40 years, and everyone agrees Tesla’s valuation today is ludicrous. Even the CEO.

Because he doesn’t have any money to retire on until he sells his shares, which he says he is not willing to do. So he has a few hundred pieces of paper with “Tesla” written on them.

Barring some other level of financial security, this is a terrible move. Are you a BTC millionaire? Would you retire on that without selling any coins? Same situation.

A LOT can happen in the next 40 years, and everyone agrees Tesla’s valuation today is ludicrous. Even the CEO.

Doesn't sound like you watched the interview. Actually tells you what he'll live on and describes his level of financial security. Quite an entertaining video overall.

Reactions: MP3Mike
But what your thought on becoming Teslanaires for someone just found out about Tesla and start investing in Tesla post s&p500 inclusion?

From my point of view it's obviously harder today than it has been previously, but my own investment thesis on Tesla says that $4k - $8k/share by 2030 (10x from here) is just about inevitable. I've seen people with business cases that lands at $10k by then. Ron Baron (of Baron Funds) has been telling people when interviewed that he sees Tesla as a $1T REVENUE/year company by 2030. If that's 10% net income, then that's $100B profit per year. For 1B shares, that's $100/share EPS. At a 100PE, that's $10k share price (I consider that reasonable for a company with the growth we're seeing)

See - I just talked my way into a $10k share price :)

It's a combination of the size of the markets that Tesla is addressing, plus the mega shift to a renewable energy economy with Tesla the #1 biggest and most aggressive company in the center of that. Elon has previously made it clear that he sees the energy business as bigger than the car business some day. Pretty sure it grew faster in Q4 than the car business. Kind of freaky when the comparison is growing 50%+.

That's a purely buy and hold perspective. I just held and focused on the investment thesis. It was 10+ years back in 2012, and today it's 10+ years. People have levered up via call options and done better. Others have tried the same and done worse (there's a tendency to hear about the former, and not the latter).

It's also my stance that the time to buy is now. Many people over the last 8 years have asked me about whether to buy Tesla at <wherever we were at, at the time>. I've told them all that now is the time. Pretty much nobody has done so, with some of them coming back later to say they goofed.

I take that advice myself - I added 100 shares a month ago at $730ish, and another 100 shares more recently at $850 (I also already have "enough" - these are more trading shares, so maybe that doesn't really count - the rest of my shares are <$100).

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl