Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You warned me and I listened (sort of)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Life long (and admitted chronic problem) with loosing keys, so I tend to leave everything open with the keys inside (house, car, office etc). You guys were gracious enough not to overly-lecture me :rolleyes: and directed my attention to battery life degradation by leaving the fob in the car. Something I was unaware of happening, so I purchased a pack of 2032's to keep ahead of the game. Amazon.com: 2032 Duracell Duralock CR2032 Lithium Batteries 4 Pack: Everything Else

Today those pretty handles wouldn't open. No need to go into the details you know so well, except that I had left the ahead-of-the-game batteries on the kitchen counter 160 miles away, along with the spare FOB and I was away playing golf hookey in a very remote area of the desert. So WWMD? In the trunk was my dog's glow-in-the-dark collar, which I ripped apart hoping a 2032 lived in there. Nope wrong size. Club House had nothing. But a course worker had a home made drone in his trunk which ran on 4 2032's and some type of rechargeable contraption. I got a battery and he took a spin. Despite my bad habit, I had no warning of weakness, just the dreaded message. :eek: Followed by a bunch of wagging TMC fingers say "I told you so". Moral of the story - everyone should keep spare 2032's in the car.

No battery.jpg

For the record, I went back to look at the manual, and it is vague. I wouldn't want anyone to get stuck because I posted something that I thought I remembered but wasn't sure about.

On page 7 it implies that you can unlock and driver the car if the battery is dead:

If Model S does not unlock when you walk up to it, or when you press the unlock button on your key, the key’s battery may be dead. If this is the case, you can still unlock and drive Model S.

To unlock Model S (and disable the security alarm), first position the key near the base of the passenger side windshield wiper, as shown. Then press the front passenger door handle. If Model S doesn't unlock, try adjusting the position of the key. The key must be in the correct position.

To drive Model S, place the key against the center console, immediately below the 12V power outlet, then press and hold the brake pedal to turn Model S on.

But on page 41 it just says that the cup holder and the center console are where the car can best detect the key:

Key Not Inside

If Model S does not detect a key when you press the brake, the instrument panel displays a message telling you that a key was not detected.

Place the key in the center console cup holder where Model S can best detect it.

If Model S still does not detect the key, try holding it against the center console, immediately below the 12V power socket (see 12V Power Socket on page 114). Or try using another key. If another key does not work, contact Tesla.

A number of factors can affect whether Model S can detect the key. These include a low battery in the key, interference from other devices using radio signals, and objects between the key and receiver.

Always keep the key with you. After driving, you need it to restart Model S after it powers off. And when you leave Model S, you must bring it with you to lock Model S, either manually or automatically (see Walk-away Locking on page 7).

So it's possible this means if the key is absolutely dead the car still won't start.

Yeah that.
I could access the car via the phone app, but unable to start it since it couldn't detect the fob per the screen shot.
You don't need the fob if you access the car via Tesla phone app. Just open the app and press the center circle icon right under graphic of your car the with the icon with the keys. You can enter your MyTesla password to start the car, or you can set up fingerprint authentication as well.

Disclaimer: I would strongly recommend against leaving your fob at home and only relying on mobile access. You would get in a bad situation if either your phone or car has no data connection (such as a parking garage) or if your phone runs out of battery. It's a good backup if you're in a pinch and your fob is either not working or you lost the fob.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
Gosh, its like shooting fish in a barrel. Besides practicing with the Tesla app a couple of times... Don't have a smartphone or left it inside your locked car? Borrow one. Ask the stranger to download the app, you can login and unlock and start your car. Then ask them to delete the app and you change your Tesla password when you get home.

How about taking one of those extra fresh 2032's and sliding it into the fob holder so you always have it with you. Please don't say you don't use a fob holder. Okay, how about putting a spare 2032 in your wallet's secret compartment. Maybe we don't need to whine at you to use a fob holder.

Thanks- this was fun.

You don't need the fob if you access the car via Tesla phone app. Just open the app and press the center circle icon right under graphic of your car the with the icon with the keys. You can enter your MyTesla password to start the car, or you can set up fingerprint authentication as well.

Thanks @DJung and @Boourns I had not downloaded the new app and didn't realize I could start the car from it. Always learning from you guys. (Spare batteries are now in the car anyway.)

Shame, shame, shame:)

Seriously, I think the phone app is a great backup to the key. You do not need the key at all to start the car with the phone app.

A few weeks ago I got my car washed. After I saw the waving towel signaling that it was done, I gave they guy the receipt and a tip. However he never pulled the key from his pocket and I assumed it was still in the car where I left it. He was close enough to the driver’s door that the car was on. After driving to another city and eating lunch, I approached my car and the doors didn’t open. Perplexing I thought. I opened the doors with the app and touched the brake. No key in car said the Tesla. After calling to confirm that the car wash had the key, I started the car with the Tesla app and drove back for my key.

Lessons learned. Check for the key before driving off from the car wash. The app makes a wonderful substitute for the key in most situations.

Cheers.

Reactions: NikeWings
The previous version of the app (2.3) also could unlock and start the car. Its been that way for more than a year.
Ahhh c'mon Akikiki, I dont carry around a key much less be tethered to a phone, but its good to know, thanks. BTW, in looking at the new app, I like the old V and A charging rate better. Its about the only thing I used the app for once the dash display was changed a few months back. I am such a die hard for old habits. Go ahead shoot me again please. :)

• Funny
Reactions: DDotJ
honestly it sounds like you need to grow up. adults don't mitigate the minor inconvenience of keeping track of one's belongings by incurring the absurd and frankly stupid risks inherent to leaving your car, home, and office perpetually unlocked.

I always have my fob in my purse, but I also always have my phone in there. Once I had locked my purse in the frunk at a car event, not thinking to take at least one of those out first...and the fob was not detected. I had to ask a friend to download the app so I could sign in and unlock my car. I could have started it then from the app had I not had my fob (or if it had a dead battery).

I do keep a few spare batteries in the glove compartment, though!

@NikeWings , worst case you could have Summoned it all the way home, 40ft at a time while you walked next to it!