Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You will love Level 1 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may find that asking to have a 14-50 installed in the garage without mentioning the Tesla will get you a different quote in some cases - I've read of electricians that figure anyone who has a Tesla must be rich and inflating quotes.

This is what I was going to suggest also. I don't know much about them, but do whole house vacuum systems use these NEMA outlets? Is there anything else you can use as a phony explanation for wanting one of these outlets installed? I think these electrical installers are taking advantage of some of you with these multi-thousand dollar installation costs.

This is what I was going to suggest also. I don't know much about them, but do whole house vacuum systems use these NEMA outlets? Is there anything else you can use as a phony explanation for wanting one of these outlets installed? I think these electrical installers are taking advantage of some of you with these multi-thousand dollar installation costs.

Stove. Possibly Dryer (most use 14-30 instead,) Large Air Compressor. Possibly a Welder (most use 6-50 instead.) RV.

Tesla does sell adapter ends for both the 6-50 and the 14-30...

Also worth checking is standard dryer outlet, NEMA 10-30 I think. It's 240v /30 amps. Because of the way a lot of places calculate the draw on electric car charging the 50 amp circuits can be more likely to push you over the margin for your existing panel, than something they calculate with intermittent load.

Also the 50 amp outlet requires a substantially bigger wire gauge, which can be more expensive on it's own even before the electrician marks it up. I received a quote for about $2500 to add a 14-50 outlet, new sub panel etc. When I got to an electrician that actually listened to what I was trying to do, he recommended the smaller circuit and things got a lot cheaper, easier and faster because we had enough headroom for 30 amps. The charging difference is 22 miles per hour added vs. 30 I think with the 14-50. Plus the dryer outlet is very standard and you might avoid some of the stress of special special pricing.

Reactions: Rocky_H
if you got the same quote I got from an electrician to install a NEMA plug in my garage.

Given that I live in a condo where the breaker is on the second floor by the laundry room. It still seems excessive for the amount I was quoted.

Here is the quote for your entertainment:

pb9OKnp.png

Level 1 will do for now until we moved to a single family home.
This is hard to believe, especially in an area with such affordable houses and garages. Imagine if you chose to live in a metro area with people crammed in like sardines.

You may find that asking to have a 14-50 installed in the garage without mentioning the Tesla will get you a different quote in some cases - I've read of electricians that figure anyone who has a Tesla must be rich and inflating quotes.
Yea, you got a point there. Maybe the OP should ask the electrician.... "How much will it cost to put a 14-50 outlet in the my garage to give a little bit of heat to my homeless grandmother" :rolleyes:

If you just ask an electrician what will it cost for a flat out 50A 240V (or more) you may often not get what you want to hear.
Most panels don't have a spare 50A of headroom and it will vary a lot on what it might take to get that.

You need to ask for a range of options.

Add 20 Amp 240, 30 Amp 240 to the list. Those are increasingly more convenient. And depending on the situation could have drastically different price ranges. Especially when it involves something like 2 floors or underground conduit to the target.

On rare situations, you might be able to convert a dedicated 20A 120V outlet to 240V for $50.00.

Once you cross the threshold of what your panel can accept then there is a huge step function on the cost.
Try to find the best option under that threshold. Unless you don't care about the cost and flat out want the fastest.

30 Amp is plenty for me. I'd probably be fine with 20 Amp (240 too). But 120V would be painful, especially when below 0F.

30 Amp is common because of dryer circuits in cellars or near garages and could have a buddy box added.
Some dryer circuits are also sometimes abandoned. But if you ask for 50 Amp the Electrician might ignore the 30 Amp circuit you might already have.

That all said, that's a ridiculous quote, 50A $5500 and not even bother with a Wall Connector?
You do realize you'd only get 32A out of that with a Mobile Connector, right?

Don't get another quote from them, because it's pretty obvious they are raking you over the coals and don't assume all quotes would be that ridiculous.

Stove. Possibly Dryer (most use 14-30 instead,) Large Air Compressor. Possibly a Welder (most use 6-50 instead.) RV.

Tesla does sell adapter ends for both the 6-50 and the 14-30...

Another idea would be to tell them you're putting in a kiln for occasional use. It would be automatically considered a continuous-use(>3 hours continuous) item so the wire and breaker would be upsized as needed.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick and brkaus

That could well be, but you need to be careful if local authorities require a permit for EV charging. You could mess up home insurance claim etc.

"EV" Permits might kick in at certain amps too.

if you got the same quote I got from an electrician to install a NEMA plug in my garage.

Given that I live in a condo where the breaker is on the second floor by the laundry room. It still seems excessive for the amount I was quoted.

Here is the quote for your entertainment:

pb9OKnp.png

Level 1 will do for now until we moved to a single family home.
This is INSANE! I could fly out my electrician, put him up at a 5 star hotel, Send him to Michael Mina's for the lobster pot pie, have him do the job, pay him double and still make to much on the job, haha, some people are just plain GREEEEEEEDY!