Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Young" Tesla drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I dont mean to be offensive in any way but I have seen a number of other Tesla drivers on the road (and waved at the majority) but I have yet to encounter many other younger drivers.

I say young in speech marks as I'm 29 but I've known I've wanted a tesla for a number of years. To a point where it was all I'd talk about and so much so that I got personalised tesla number plates as a Christmas present TE57A xx 18 months before I got my car.

I am now the proud owner of a Model 3 LR and loving every day in it.

Is the car out of reach financially, is it a matter of time before younger people see sense in how brilliant Tesla is or is it just simply a lack of appreciation in innovation in the younger generation?

Hi All,

I dont mean to be offensive in any way but I have seen a number of other Tesla drivers on the road (and waved at the majority) but I have yet to encounter many other younger drivers.

I say young in speech marks as I'm 29 but I've known I've wanted a tesla for a number of years. To a point where it was all I'd talk about and so much so that I got personalised tesla number plates as a Christmas present TE57A xx 18 months before I got my car.

Is the car out of reach financially, is it a matter of time before younger people see sense in how brilliant Tesla is or is it just simply a lack of appreciation in innovation in the younger generation?
Do you think the average 20-something can afford a $50K car? You’re seriously out of touch.

Hi All,

My guess here is that it has more to do with the cost of Tesla cars than interest. I think a lot of young people love Teslas, but even the SR+ would be too much for most people in their 20s, not just because young people are spending more time in college for dubious degrees in a competitive world job market, but because we're in a pandemic too. The 'good' jobs out there see fierce competition, and someone in their 20s is going to get base pay even in a good job with growth opportunity. Even if they do land something, they're only going to be making 40-60k depending on the field, and that's for a typical tech job. I work in tech so I can speak to this a bit, but I'm 52 and am 32 years in to my career. Before I started my career at 20, I was making 6 bucks an hour and change at a retail art store.

Unless someone is born in to some wealth (with generous parents) they're going to have to earn their own Tesla. Even if they land a job in a competitive market (during a pandemic), it's going to be tough to get enough of a down payment to have reasonable payments, and this assumes the young person's credit is okay and isn't non-existent or a 'thin' file. However, youth is when people make the most credit mistakes I think so a lot of young people have crushing student loan debt and questionable credit. There are exceptions though. I guess some young people could have an early career launch (possibly with a family business), a stable partner with their own career, and common Tesla interests before kids (or house). That's the other thing, smart young people will want a house well before they throw money down on 50k electric vehicles they can't charge in an apartment so easily. This assumes they live near a Supercharger (as a backup option) and even that isn't ideal. Apartments are also a riskier parking situation for such a nice car. Ask me how I know these things. :D

So yeah, it's the cost that causes the self-selected group of Tesla-buyers to skew older.

Reactions: ElRey and ACarneiro
27 here and picked up my LR last week, bought through my Ltd which makes it more affordable ;) bumped into another new owner around my age the other day, so we are about! I have a few friends who are looking at buying too - these cars are particularly popular with software engineers/techy people!

Reactions: Spacep0d
My guess here is that it has more to do with the cost of Tesla cars than interest. I think a lot of young people love Teslas, but even the SR+ would be too much for most people in their 20s, not just because young people are spending more time in college for dubious degrees in a competitive world job market, but because we're in a pandemic too. The 'good' jobs out there see fierce competition, and someone in their 20s is going to get base pay even in a good job with growth opportunity. Even if they do land something, they're only going to be making 40-60k depending on the field, and that's for a typical tech job. I work in tech so I can speak to this a bit, but I'm 52 and am 32 years in to my career. Before I started my career at 20, I was making 6 bucks an hour and change at a retail art store.

Unless someone is born in to some wealth (with generous parents) they're going to have to earn their own Tesla. Even if they land a job in a competitive market (during a pandemic), it's going to be tough to get enough of a down payment to have reasonable payments, and this assumes the young person's credit is okay and isn't non-existent or a 'thin' file. However, youth is when people make the most credit mistakes I think so a lot of young people have crushing student loan debt and questionable credit. There are exceptions though. I guess some young people could have an early career launch (possibly with a family business), a stable partner with their own career, and common Tesla interests before kids (or house). That's the other thing, smart young people will want a house well before they throw money down on 50k electric vehicles they can't charge in an apartment so easily. This assumes they live near a Supercharger (as a backup option) and even that isn't ideal. Apartments are also a riskier parking situation for such a nice car. Ask me how I know these things. :D

So yeah, it's the cost that causes the self-selected group of Tesla-buyers to skew older.

Absolutely agree with this.

It isn't that the younger generation don't know of them, it is most certainly an affordability thing. I consider myself a younger driver, even if I am exactly mid 30s (35) and I'm only just able to afford mine even with a very good salary.

I think as there are more of them that come through on to the 2nd hand market, we will see more younger drivers taking the plunge and picking them up but that isn't going to happen for at least the next 3-5 years as theres a lot of new cars just hitting the roads. When these moves through from their first owners, that's when I think we will see it start to move on.

Reactions: Spacep0d
27 here and picked up my LR last week, bought through my Ltd which makes it more affordable ;) bumped into another new owner around my age the other day, so we are about! I have a few friends who are looking at buying too - these cars are particularly popular with software engineers/techy people!
Apart from the good pay, and techy nature of the cars that's because of the limited company contracting culture that exists around IT makes company cars very attractive to contractors for the first time in forever with the 0% BIK on EV's.
At least until the gov complete their years long campaign to kill off limited company contractors in the near future.:(

Reactions: boater291
a 40-50k+ car is completely out of reach for most folks in their 20's. Even with good value lease deals the deposit alone would be out of reach for a high proportion.

I think I saw recently that average UK earnings were about £25-30k per year across the entire population. £460 per week ish - before tax.

You;d need to be doing pretty well to be clearing that sort of number by 25, there are of course job opportunities that pay well for whatever age group but there are a very high number of people not earning that level well beyond age 25.

There's also the financial resilience element - very few folks under 30 have savings - even fewer have savings that would last them 6-12 months of full living expenses if their circumstances changed. Makes committing and having the credit file evidence to support a finance/credit arrangement really tricky especially if folks have student debt etc.

Those who can afford £50k or finance at this level when they are younger definitely need to appreciate how fortunate they are - it doesn't come that good for a lot of folks even after a full working life ....

Hi All,

Good points! There seems to be plenty of young interest from my observations...certainly from younger non driving age kids. I’m afraid it comes down to cost. I needed an early retirement “deal” and deceased parents to inherit from before I could even dream of owning a car of this cost! Even management positions in my field (disability support services) don’t provide an income that would sustain this level of financial commitment. I don’t suppose there are too many young adults who can afford a new Tesla... or maybe an EV of any make. I’m delighted for anyone who can!

One thing for sure is any accident with a Tesla especially with "young" drivers get the headlines of any TV news...

Florida father sues Tesla after son dies in 116 mph crash

Parents of Florida teen killed in Tesla crash sue electric car company

The Model S was traveling 116mph (187km/h) three seconds before it crashed into a wall,
and it only slowed to 86mph (138km/h) as the air bags inflated.

The car missed a curve with a 25mph (40km/h) speed limit and hit the wall twice,
and witnesses reported that it erupted in flames.

Last edited:
I just mentioned this post to the wife and she thought it was me (29, wanted a M3 since it was announced and love it). So we’re around but I’ve not seen any in my area.

Quite a few of the people I know have Jags, Audi’s etc. which are a similar price when you take fuel into account it’s just that it’s a long term commitment if you’re not 100% electric will work for you.

Our normal commute is only around 30 miles a day with very rare long trips so it works perfectly but some of our friends are skeptical of range/charging infrastructure.

One thing for sure is any accident with a Tesla especially with "young" drivers get the headlines of any TV news...

Florida father sues Tesla after son dies in 116 mph crash

Parents of Florida teen killed in Tesla crash sue electric car company

The Model S was traveling 116mph (187km/h) three seconds before it crashed into a wall,
and it only slowed to 86mph (138km/h) as the air bags inflated.

The car missed a curve with a 25mph (40km/h) speed limit and hit the wall twice,
and witnesses reported that it erupted in flames.

Immediately I'm thinking - you were doing 116mph. Sad as it is, 'Your fault pal'.

Reactions: Beady3647
All EV's are costly to young drivers who naturally have a smaller income, also insurance costs can be massive for more 'premium cars' which most EV's are seemingly classified as, I can see that younger drivers may begin to get M3's on the second hand market within 5 years' time as the cost will drop when all the short leases begin to 'flood' the market lol.