TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Youngest Model S Owner/First Car?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Astroboy747, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

#1 Astroboy747, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Hi everyone! I'm new to these forums.

I have been following the Model S since its early development and instantly fell in love with it. Growing up around performance cars my whole life, I always knew that oil was coming to an end.

I convinced my mother to order her own P85D which is due for delivery in a month's time. As I am 18 and looking for my first car, I originally looked at small sedans such as a Mercedes C Class or BMW 3 Series. But my dad (quite ironically because he is a massive petrolhead) tried to push me towards a Model S. It was always my dream car but I thought it would be a bit much for me. But factoring in fuel savings, service costs and the future technology, I couldn't afford not to get a Model S.

So I ordered my 70D and it is due in November! :D
    The VIN is

Model S 70D
    Deep Blue Metallic
    Panoramic Roof
    21" Grey Turbine Wheels
    Grey Next Generation Seats
    Piano Black Decor
    Black Alcantara Headliner
    Autopilot
    Premium Interior and Lighting
    Smart Air Suspension
    Ultra High Fidelity Sound

What do you guys think about the combination? Also wouldn't mind feedback about your own vehicles, delivery experiences and the like. I have been in a Model S for a test drive but never driven one.

Can't wait!
    Cheers guys,

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You are 18 years old and you have placed an order for a brand new Model S? Wow. Inquiring minds want to know how you can afford it...

3. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

Well, I am a processing manager of a structural steel processing shop. It is a family owned company. I have saved up for 1/3 of the amount of the vehicle.

This is by no means a bragging post. I am just sharing with the Tesla community my order as others do and ask for opinions and getting a discussion going.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Good on you! I'm very happy for you.

At 18, my entry-level IT job allowed me to buy a dealer-demonstrator Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible. I loved that car, then got married and my first son arrived, and things changed...

5. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

Thank you!

So no one has any regrets on their Model S?

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Hell no!

Congrats!! My first car at age 23 was a beautiful new 1999 VW Passat and I still have fond memories of it. You'll really love your Model S!

7. goodbyebmw

goodbyebmw Member

Geez at 18, I had a bus pass lol. I didn't get my first car until I was 21, which was a 2010 Nissan Sentra. Three years later at 24, I have my Tesla now!

Congrats on yours!

8. FreeOfPge

FreeOfPge Member

Steel... Love... Hate... Work, Work, Work... reward, reward, reward... WOrk, WORk, WORK

9. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

That basically sums it up ahaha.

I love the enthusiasm of Tesla owners. I have been telling everyone I can over here about them. When I get mine, I really want to do videos and promote Tesla a bit. Roadtrips maybe. Also want a drag race between mine and my mum's P85D. The quietest drag race in history will be the title.

10. FutureOwner

FutureOwner Member

Good for you! My first car was my mom's 1985 Chevy Caprice Estate Station Wagon. Nine seatbelts, sat twenty almost comfortably. Great for going to high school football games!

Your story reminds me of my friend's father. His parents were pretty well off real estate developers, so on his 16th birthday his dad offered to match him $1 for $1 on any car he wanted. He took him up on the offer, but didn't buy a car when he was 16, or 17, but saved up until he was 18 years old. He returned to his father and said, I found two cars, one is American, the other is a Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. Mind you, this is 1963 at the time. The father a little shocked at the thought of buying his son a Gullwing convinced him to go with the American car. A 1963 Shelby Cobra.

Unfortunately, the Cobra didn't last long. A year later the family's mechanic took it for a ride, didn't account for the understeer and totaled it into a brick wall. Fortunately, the mechanic was able to walk away from the accident.

Moral of the story: Don't let anyone else drive your car. And if you really want to drive your car, take it to a track. Also, use valet mode if you have to leave it with someone.

11. Astroboy747

Astroboy747 Member

Wow that is a really good story. Ahh love Chevys. My father has a 69 Chevelle and a GMC Sierra. I just really want to take people for rides to let them experience the future of automobiles.

By the way, what is the Roadster like? I see a few of you guys are owners.

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Congrats, that's very impressive.

I got my first car at 21, MazdaSpeed6. And my 2nd car (Model S) at 30.

No regrets.

13. egro

egro Member

I agree with earlier post -- don't let anyone else drive your car. Well, maybe your dad/family can drive it if that's how you are in the position to work-work-work and get reward-reward-reward at such a tender age.

You're very young for such a sizeable purchase of a depreciating asset. Most others would have to be spending their money (or other people's money -- i.e., loans) on way crappier cars or on things to allow them to buy nicer cars eventually (e.g., appreciating assets and/or education). But hey, if you've got the wealth and the desire, that's all that Model S ownership really seems to require. Welcome to the club!

Other than depreciation (which is modest compared to the other vehicles you were considering), your only downside will be that you'll have to wait years before your next car will be able to significantly increase in amazingness. That's the upside of owning a used POS that you can fall in love/hate with and then ditch it for something futuristic and reliable. Makes you appreciate the difference more than if you never knew firsthand.

My first car: 6-speed manual 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT 'Tuscani' at age 23, Model S age 31

14. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I think it's great that you are promoting Tesla. Cheers to fun, safe driving of your new Model S :biggrin:. Enjoy!

15. marcad80

marcad80 Member

Model S at age 18....... very nice, you'll have a lot more attention than I got with my car.....

I had a 1980 Mustang with a 2.3l engine. Drive, Fix, Drive, Fix, Drive, Fix, Fix, Fix, Drive, crash, walk.

16. Armadillos

Armadillos Member

Congrats on getting a Tesla for your first car! Do keep in mind on how fast these cars can take off. I'm sure your friends will want you to "hot rod" the car all the time, but this is a car that can get away from you very quickly if you don't pay attention.

And by all means, do NOT let them drive it! :)

17. Jool

Jool Member

I'm going to echo the others in this thread to be please be careful! The Model S is an amazing vehicle, but even the 70 is faster than many sporty cars. Respect your vehicle, its limits, and your limits.

And seriously, don't let your friends drive it. My neighbor's teenage son got an early 2000's era BMW 5 series as his first car. A friend of his ran it over a sidewalk and into a pole just a couple months after purchase - car was completely totaled.

18. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

The more I remember my stupidity in my teens, the more I realize I'd be dead (or in jail) if I had a Model S when I was 18.

19. securityelf

securityelf New Member

I don't mean to be offensive or jealous in no way :) Just thought it's funny to insert a "My dad is a lawyer" meme here.

20. ThreadAbort

ThreadAbort Member

So, did you change from the P85D to the 70D listed above? That is a huge price difference.

Lastly, I wouldn't suggest the 21" Wheels for a 18 year old. And that's mainly due to driving experience and judging how close a curb is. Curb rub is almost a guarantee and you will be paying someone to fix the rims at a premium. They do look great though! I would pick up the rim protectors from Evannex.