Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Action Requested re: $2500 TX EV Grant (December 11, 2017)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I'm learning from looking into this.. don't trust Plug-In Texas.

From the summary of the comments on this issue: (https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/p...mm/backup/Agendas/2018/04-04-2018/0866RUL.pdf)

"The majority of the comments dealt with the provision in §114.613(a) that requires manufacturers to submit a list of the eligible vehicles or compressed natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas systems the manufacturer intends to sell in this state and the underlying premise that "sell in this state" means that only vehicles sold by a licensed dealer in Texas are eligible for an incentive. Plug-In Texas, GST, and TADA commented in support of the requirements."

GST (Gulf States Toyota) and TADA aren't suprising, but who is Plug-In Texas? A little peek at their website about page (About Us – Plug-In Texas)..

"Members of the coalition include Environment Texas, Environmental Defense Fund, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Gulf States Toyota, Luminant Energy, NRG Energy, Texas Automobile Dealers Association, Texas League of Conservation Voters, Toyota North America and TXU Energy."

By the way.. those three organizations commented in favor of that provision. How many commented against? Just 649. Yes you read that correctly. The summation of that discrepancy is as follows:

"Potential controversial concerns and legislative interest: Staff is aware that some light-duty electric vehicles are sold directly by the manufacturer rather than a dealer in Texas. Stakeholders have differing views regarding the eligibility of these vehicles, as evidenced by the large number of comments received on this issue."

Less than .5 % of the commenters are in support of the "dealer in Texas" issue, but that .5% is basically 3 different forms of TADA.

So despite the hundreds who recommended against leaving out Tesla, nothing was changed. The reason being, a Tesla car sell transaction does not occur in state. So, is this implying that no taxes have to be paid either? I'm fine with that then.

So despite the hundreds who recommended against leaving out Tesla, nothing was changed. The reason being, a Tesla car sell transaction does not occur in state. So, is this implying that no taxes have to be paid either? I'm fine with that then.
Of course Tesla coming to Austin and pretty much begging the legislature to be allowed to sell in the state gets nowhere too, because Good Ole Boy network TADA is greasing the right palms. Joke is on them though, since the product is so good I believe TX is still a top 5 state for Tesla ownership despite being blocked at every turn.

They are using the excuse that the legislatures intent based on earlier wording to attempt justification of their position.

It isn't the Tesla folks that need to change the legislature... it is the people. How many people called their primary candidates and asked their view on Tesla? I did... the guy who got selected in the primary is very much pro dealer anti-testa.

So Plug-In Texas actually responded to my jab at NRG and TXU on Twitter:

"Coalitions don't always internally fully agree. The automotive members of PITx took a position supporting legislative intent on in-state purchases in rulemaking as clearly noted in our written comments & verbally stated in two public hearings. Other PITx members took no position"

My response:

"Which is entirely my point. The only members who spoke out were the big dealerships who don't want @tesla in TX. "Taking no position" i.e. staying silent is akin to agreeing with those who did. Careful letting TADA and GCT set your public stance for TX EV drivers."

Of course Tesla coming to Austin and pretty much begging the legislature to be allowed to sell in the state gets nowhere too, because Good Ole Boy network TADA is greasing the right palms. Joke is on them though, since the product is so good I believe TX is still a top 5 state for Tesla ownership despite being blocked at every turn.

Not really. The joke is on us... they still get their tax money AND nothing changes. If I could find a state that charged the same tax, I'd take delivery there, pay THAT state and stiff Texas.

Reactions: Jxtheone