Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your alignment concerns are not covered by warranty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I picked up my 3 row Model Y this month and finally came to inspect for misalignment.
I have noticed a few main things:
1. Rear door does not close nicely, which a body shop told me is related to gaps.
2. Third row is misaligned between the two seats and 2nd row is just a touch misaligned.
3. One of the door handle is a bit sunk in.

I wrote this all in a service request and uploaded photos.

the service wrote back:
Your alignment concerns are not covered under warranty. We can provide you with a quote of you will like to continue . Please advise how you would like to proceed. Thank you.

Any advice?

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Hi, I picked up my 3 row Model Y this month and finally came to inspect for misalignment.
1. Rear door does not close nicely, which a body shop told me is related to gaps.
2. Third row is misaligned between the two seats and 2nd row is just a touch misaligned.

the service wrote back:
Your alignment concerns are not covered under warranty. We can provide you with a quote of you will like to continue . Please advise how you would like to proceed. Thank you.

Any advice?
Advice: do not take delivery of a vehicle you are not 100% satisfied with. Tesla is becoming less and less likely to address post-delivery issues.

I have had nothing but positive experience also with service issues.

check to see if your steering wheel is level and your wheels are straight. I had this issue and they covers the straightness of the wheel and also did a 4 wheel alignment. All at no charge. Had about 300miles on the car

Reactions: geekfam

the service wrote back:

Any advice?
My door handle was super deep into the hole
Rear felt was loose
Liner inside had bubble
Reported within 100 miles and was all fixed

the service wrote back:

Any advice?
As others have said, delivery issues should be reported within the first 100 miles to have them addressed no questions asked.

My advice would be to try a different service center. Something like the rear door not closing consistently should still be addressed. As far as the other issues it may depend how severe they are (how picky you are). If they are really slight/minor, then they may consider them within spec. It’s hard to say without pictures.

Well, this is insane!!!! do these cars don't have warranties???? if a car is sold with issues then they should be corrected. Obviously Yurmix didn't pushed in the door handle!
It should be embarrassing enough for Tesla to sell cars with defects, they should be apologetic for making you waste your time instead they are making you pay.

In my personal experience Tesla has actually been pretty good at fixing minor defects which I found months after delivery; including an alignment issue with one edge of the bumper.

Without knowing exactly how major the OPs alignment issues are it's difficult to say more. For example, if the door handle looks visibly weird then yes it should be fixed under warranty. On the other hand If the OP has an very good eye and is trying to get everything to line up within a fraction of a millimeter, then I can understand why at some point Tesla may dismiss the request stating that it's within spec.

I do think that the SC's response sounded overly dismissive, which is why I was suggesting it may be worth seeking out a second opinion at a different SC. It may also help to emphasize any functional issues (like door not consistently closing) as those should help to get the car through the SC door.

Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately I can’t upload pictures right now but at least 3 things are very obvious (believe me I’m not being picky):
1. Door handle is misaligned / sunk in.
2. Third row misaligned. I don’t care but some future buyers would request me to lower price.
3. One door closing needs stronger push than the others.
I wasn’t expecting these in a $50K+ car.
Unfortunately I didn’t know I need to report all these right away, based on numerous videos online. I have a feeling this has changed. Also, the car delivery was contact-free near my house, I’m not sure who I would talk to.
If you had to pick one item to open service about, what would it be? I’ll start from there and ask the SC what should I do.

Unfortunately those things need to be recorded and submitted at pickup or within 100 miles I believe.
Unless things change soon, my nearest delivery center is over 100 miles away. We have a Service Center in town, but last I checked they cannot deliver from there.

Combine this with reports that delivery is often rushed, sometimes they won't even allow interior access until delivery is accepted, and/or customers are told to make their lists and schedule corrective repairs for a later date - how can I avoid blowing the 100 mile rule without camping out at the original delivery Service Center (which would be inconvenient and annoying to me as well as to the SC team)?

how can I avoid blowing the 100 mile rule without camping out at the original delivery Service Center (which would be inconvenient and annoying to me as well as to the SC team)?
Not sure you can. I would inspect it as best you can before delivery. They didn't give me any grief 18 months ago when my car was delivered and allowed me as much time a I wanted but that may have changed. Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. I would be pretty firm and say you really want to take a good look at it before payment and if they say no (I really can't see this happening) then ask if you can delay for a delivery time when you can inspect it as you want.

If all that still fails and they won't budge, if you do decide to take delivery (and I probably would as even with the QC issues, odds are the car will be fine) and don't feel you've had a good inspection, I would drive it 50 feet out into a sunny parking lot (hopefully sunny as this wouldn't work in the rain) and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Document, document, document and give them everything you want fixed right then and there so they don't have any excuse about over X miles or Y days.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
I just noticed my hatchback is slightly misaligned. I made a appoint for them to come out and fix it. Estimated charge $138.. I messaged back isn't this covered under warranty? Response was yes it is no charge and removed the charge. I have had the car 2 weeks. 1200miles. I guess I got lucky

I had a small sharp protrusionon my induction rim that was very small and painted over with the black paint. It was likely a problem in casting. I didn't notice until after I drove a few hundred miles since it was on the passenger side and only visible in some wheel orientations, but I filed a service ticket expecting them to just say it's in spec. They replaced the rim with no charge. They also gave me free Uber rides while they had the car, and I'm lucky the service center is 5 miles from my job.

Try a different SC. Some SC don’t want to cover anything. Mine had the HVAC smell issue two months after I took delivery and they replaced the filter and cleaned the evaporator. They wanted me to pay $150 when it was a known problem. I had to push back a bit and they finally did a goodwill on it.