Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your average household consumption in KWh.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your average household consumption in kWh since getting the Model S?

Do you have solar panels? If so then what is the average power in kWh generated by the panels each day?

Not sure how useful this information is because it depends on how much you drive your Model S. We avg 25kwh per day of consumption including charging the Model S but I only drive it around 300-400km per week. Most of that is used by the house (2 adults/4 kids). On a nice day in Melb our 10kw system generates 50-55 kwh.

What is your average household consumption in kWh since getting the Model S?

Do you have solar panels? If so then what is the average power in kWh generated by the panels each day?

I think you can tell exactly when I started charging my Tesla at home! I'll let you work out consumption since getting 'Serenity'.
I have a 5 kw system that generates approximately 7 MWh per year (south west coast of Victoria) around 19 kWh per day.
The units on the graph are kWh.

My Electricity Usage.jpg

I got 14 additional panels when I got the model s in july (specifically for the model s charging). We've driven 5000km and according to the output meter of the solar panels and input meter just befoe the HPWC I've generated surplus power, which was expected as the 14 panels are intended to do two cars. No data on the 2nd car yet as I've only had it a few days.
My calculations show the money saved on fuel will cover our solar panel cost in just under a year.

I have just got the car so will be interested to see how much the numbers change.

Over the last year I have bought on average 30kWh per day and sold on average 67kWh per day. This means on average we consume 48kWh per day across the year as I produce on average 85kWh per day year round with a 19kw solar system. 12 kWh of that daily use is off peak for pool pumps and hot water heat pump. I have guessed that based on 12km per year that I will consume on average just under 8kWh a day in putting just under 7kWh of charge into the battery. This months graph of solar power production is below.
Screen Shot 2015-10-27 at 7.51.39 pm.png

The Nissan Leaf gets on average 5 km per KWh.

A 2.5 kW solar array generates on average 10 kWh in a day so Nissan Leaf drivers who drive 50 km per day need a 2.5 kW solar array and battery storage if they charge the car overnight.

On average how many km per kWh can the Model S do?

- - - Updated - - -

A 2.5 kW solar array generates on average 10 kWh in a day so Nissan Leaf drivers who drive 50 km per day need a 2.5 kW solar array and battery storage if they charge the car overnight.

I see that the usable battery in a p85 is 75 kWh which gives 4.6 km per kWh assuming a range of 350 km.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that the usable battery in a p85 is 75 kWh which gives 4.6 km per kWh assuming a range of 350 km.

So far my Model S is using 18kwh per 100km but you know the EV critics like to put a bad spin on the figures so let's add some charging losses and a bit of fat and round it up to 22kwh/100 to charge the car;

Using grid power at 26 cents equals $5.72 per 100kms
Using home solar that is only worth 8 cents when fed back to the grid equals $1.72 per 100km

As a comparison if I get 40 000 Kms out of a $1400 set of tyres that equates to $3.50 per 100kms.

At the moment I'm guessing the cars consuming 60/40 in favour of solar.

Hi Blue Heaven

I agree with your numbers right up to 40,000Kms from Tyres.

Ive changed my rears at 22,000Kms and Fronts will go next week at about 26,000Kms.

I am on 21" Turbine Mags.

Hi Keiron

Tyre life, cost, energy consumption is a subject we maybe could set up a spread sheet for, hopefully a good reference for owners buying new tyres. I had a quick look on the U.S. forums from early vehicles, one driver only got 9000 miles, another 30 000 miles, it's all over the shop so to speak, It appears most/all the Australian dual motor with 19 inch wheels are installed with Michelins, so far my tyre wear is good, almost 12 000km on the clock and 20% treadwear assuming I change them at 2mm.

I am running Continentals. I didn't make it to 2mm because the traction control started to loose the tail end in the wet under torque- dangerously fast snap outs. Nathan (Melb Service Manager) suggested I pull them at 2.5mm due to work hardening issues.

It was a good decision as it restored tailend predictability in the late part of winter.