TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Your car on Tesla flatbed on a tollway ...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GreenT, May 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GreenT

GreenT Member

I recently had my car on Tesla's flatbed. On a tollway.

Several times.

The valet was bragging (nicely) how he applied opaque tape to the license plate to avoid getting the car tolled.

Weeks later, I suddenly realized ... oh oh. I have a transponder in the nose cone.

Checked my account and sure enough I had been charged every time I "went through" the toll. Called the tolling company and they could not have been worse.

Then I realized I was charged for 4 axles!

Accused me of lying ... that I was pulling a UHaul. And so on. 3 supervisors later and they insisted Tesla send them a fax documenting it.

Lesson learned ... any car on any tow truck ... leave transponder at home. The "big ones" cannot be shielded.

• Informative x 3
  2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

yes things like that can be a real PIA, some tolling agencies take a photo of every vehicle that passes through, if this is one of those demand their proof.
    one year I had to send in a tag for replacement, every time the postal truck went through a toll the account got dinged for a toll, with a bit of haggling I had the charges removed.

3. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Thanks for the heads-up. When I received my transponders (Florida and Illinois) they both came shielded in foil. If I ever send one back that is how I would do it to prevent inadvertent charges. Shielding the nose cone mounted transponder is another story. First World Classic Tesla problem o_O

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

....and while you're at it, please request they show you a two-axled U-Haul trailer.

More: since you're posting this in the Model S, not Model X, subforum, and that you mention nosecone, here's more fodder for you, unless you've gone the Hidden Hitch route (as I have): it would be fun for you to take your Model S to Appropriate Party and demand they teach you how to haul with it.

5. GreenT

GreenT Member

Try telling anyone at Sunpass / IPass ... that the S cannot tow!
    They showed me the photos of my car on the flatbed AND apparently the flatbed plate was not in the right place.
    They also told me the "bumper mount" transponder cannot be shielded.
    I wonder how many times they collect twice or more for a given vehicle ... like a car transporter?

6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

so they provided the evidence that they mistakenly charged the toll to your car, what is their reluctance to reverse the charges?

7. GreenT

GreenT Member

For some reason I cannot edit the first post?

Sorry, I may have not been clear ... after Tesla faxed the latter, they DID reverse the (give or take) $50 worth of charges.