Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Cars Name?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rocinante, 'cause y'know.... f***ing spaceship.

I was going to name mine Rocinante, for similar reasens to Holden's. However, that is more to do with Don Quixote and is very apt for me

Rocín in Spanish means a work horse or low-quality horse, but can also mean an illiterate or rough man. There are similar words in French (roussin; rosse), Portuguese (rocim), Dutch(ros), and Italian (ronzino). The etymology is uncertain.

The name is a complex pun. In Spanish, ante has several meanings and can function as a standalone word as well as a suffix. One meaning is "before" or "previously". Another is "in front of". As a suffix, -ante in Spanish is adverbial; rocinanterefers to functioning as, or being, a rocín. "Rocinante", then, follows Cervantes' pattern using ambiguous, multivalent words, which is common throughout the novel.[citation needed]

Rocinante's name, then, signifies his change in status from the "old nag" of before to the "foremost" steed.

Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double: like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities

Its the same reason Holden called the gunship Rocinante in the novel.

Im also awkward, past my prime and engaging in a task beyond my capabilities....

Reactions: TestPilot
Potential names at this time:

Waww
(why are we waiting)

Tync (three years, no car)

Ediltlal (pron: edil-t-lal [every day I love Tesla less and less])

Omlmbt (pron: om-lom-bot [only mugs like me buy Tesla’s])

Will consider an alternative name when in receipt of Omlmbt.

Last edited:
Currently the plan is for KITT.

But who knows, we're not expecting a car until late September at least so have time to change our minds...

Knight Industries Two Thousand. That reminded me of the dashboard of that car. I thought it was the future at the time, just look at it now...

KITT_Interior.jpg

By Tabercil - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, File:KITT Interior at Toronto Auto Show 2011.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Mind you, at least his FSD worked!

I had a kit car (Sylva Stylus) when my wife and I first met which she referred to as my girlfriend because I had my hands on it more than I did her.

I got some funny looks from her friends at first when she'd tell them I was out withmy girlfriend and hadn't come home until late, or I was late because I'd stopped to fill my girlfriend on the way over.

So my wife's already started referring to this one as my mistress because she's jealous that I'm spending more time and money on it than her right now.

View media item 120140View media item 120139

Last edited:
Did you scrap it or pass it on for someone else to carry on polluting with it?

Well it’s a Jan 2018 Audi that is Euro6 compliant so probably as clean as a diesel can get. And it’s worth about £24k currently. So I’m certainly not scrapping it.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. I could easily keep driving this for another 5-6 years, it’s cleaner than most cars on the roads in terms of CO2 emissions. Or I could choose to change to EV for zero emissions, a choice I have made with the Model 3 order. I can only be accountable for what I choose rather than be responsible for others, but if someone scraps their old very polluting diesel and replaces it with my current Audi, that’s on balance a good thing.

Well, not the name of a car, but since this is a fun thread, I think its a good time to post this as its not been shown in a while.

My Wife is Missing--
A husband went to the police station to report his missing wife:
Husband - I’ve lost my wife, she went shopping yesterday & has still not come home.
Sergeant - What is her height ?
Husband - I really never noticed.
Sergeant - Build?
Husband - Not slim, not really fat.
Sergeant - Color of eyes?
Husband - Never noticed.
Sergeant - Color of hair?
Husband - Changes according to season.
Sergeant - What was she wearing?
Husband - Dress/suit/ I don’t remember exactly.
Sergeant - Did she go in a car?
Husband - yes.
Sergeant - What kind of car was it?
Husband - Multi-Coat Arrest-Me Red Tesla Model S all-wheel drive electric vehicle with liquid-cooled
powertrain with 100 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery, motor, drive inverter,
and gear box, three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor, drive inverter
with variable frequency drive and regenerative braking system and single speed fixed gear
with 9.73:1 reduction ratio and has a very thin scratch on the right front door.…
at this point the husband started crying.
Sergeant - won't worry sir.......We will find your car.

I was going to name mine Rocinante, for similar reasens to Holden's. However, that is more to do with Don Quixote and is very apt for me

Its the same reason Holden called the gunship Rocinante in the novel.

Im also awkward, past my prime and engaging in a task beyond my capabilities....
:D it's a name that works on several levels I think, and I'm well on my way to growing into the deeper meaning....

There was a thread like this back in 2013 when Tesla first allowed owners to name cars. If you can find that, there are many pages. Mine:

2012 brown S P85 is Buckbeak. If you don’t know why, you haven’t read Harry Potter.

2018 red LR RWD 3 is Roja, why is obvious

2018 silver (REAL Silver) Stealth 3P is Flash. Why? It is really fast.