Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your experience with Mileage warranty Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that tires wear out faster than other cars, how has been your experience in claiming mileage warranty coverage for tires? This should be more on staggered set up for MYP's where there is a need to change the rears more.

Discount tires says " Most tire manufacturers will reduce the mileage warranty of a tire by up to 50% on a staggered tire application. However, our exclusive Certificates will still cover your staggered tires!"

What has been your experience in claiming mileage warranty on tires?

To be honest I don’t know that I’ve heard of a mileage warranty. If I don’t meet mileage (which I never ever do), I think it’s either my fault or crappy tires. If it’s crappy tires I just don’t get them again. In the case of Tesla they could be crappy tires, but me banging my head at every start didn‘t help. Do you feel your tires failed considerably early?

Usually, mileage warranties on tires bought after the fact are pretty crappy.

I'd never heard of OEM tires coming w/mileage warranties (mine have never come with any and there's usually an exclusion in the warranty booklet). Then, I learned somewhere that Michelin did, until they didn't: Michelin Warranty Information | Michelin.
All MICHELIN passenger and light truck replacement tires, and original equipment tires for 2011-2017 model years, are covered by a limited mileage warranty for treadwear, as well as a limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first
What brand are the tires? Can you confirm that the treadwear warranty exists for OEM tires of that brand?

Given that tires wear out faster than other cars, how has been your experience in claiming mileage warranty coverage for tires? This should be more on staggered set up for MYP's where there is a need to change the rears more.

Discount tires says " Most tire manufacturers will reduce the mileage warranty of a tire by up to 50% on a staggered tire application. However, our exclusive Certificates will still cover your staggered tires!"

What has been your experience in claiming mileage warranty on tires?
I use Americas tire in northern California. I get a new set of tires every year using the tread warranty. If you have even wear I haven't had a problem. My tires are Michelin and I use the credit toward a new set. I have a squared set up. You might not get even wear with the staggered setup?

When I got the my last set of tires the owner of the shop said he'd only seen one person getting a tire manufacturer to pay for new tires under warranty. They require that you rotate them every 5000-7500 miles, and some manufacturers require that you do it at a shop authorized by them. They also may ask for evidence of balancing and alignment. Essentially they always find a way to weasel out of paying.

When I got the my last set of tires the owner of the shop said he'd only seen one person getting a tire manufacturer to pay for new tires under warranty. They require that you rotate them every 5000-7500 miles, and some manufacturers require that you do it at a shop authorized by them. They also may ask for evidence of balancing and alignment. Essentially they always find a way to weasel out of paying.
Getting new tires in a few weeks, and MPP installed and alignment done so I should be good. I rotate every 5k or so with Americas tire

Used the warranty once in my life years ago, though I think it was due to cupping vs mileage in that case. Whatever tire manufacturer it was (Continental or maybe Yoko) basically just provide a discounted set of tires by calculating how much tread you have left vs new. So eg, if you've used up 30% of the tread, they offer up a 30% discount off list.

Which is not great. At least wasn't years ago, not sure if tires are harder to get discounted these days.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I have Michelin all- weather tires on my new 2022 MYP. Do I need to register my tires separately with Michelin to have the full warranty in effect? On their web site it seems to imply that I do need to register tires. Does Tesla provide a separate Tire Warranty with the car (I didn’t notice in the scant owners manual in the car). Thanks.