Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Your first UK Tesla MOT? Checklist before the visit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm closing on the date I need to MOT my Tesla Model 3, so I thought I'd research a little and create this checklist of things (ordered by priority) you should probably ensure to make sure the test goes smoothly.

If you can help edit or add to this list, that'd be great. Let's help each other. Apparently, a smaller independent garage is the way to go, as you can more easily help them, and they're less likely to turn you away.

CHECKLIST (ordered by rough priority):

1: First and foremost, make sure they lift only on the jacking points. Buy all FOUR lift pads in advance to lend them if they don't have any. I am open to suggestions on the best product to use. One that's secure and sticks in a little bit, but isn't too tight to take out again. (More details in the Tesla MOT guidance document).

2: Disable (or change) the 4 digit pin if you use one.

3: If you have air suspension, they need to know about enabling Jack Mode (for safety and to prevent car damage), and also set the height of the suspension to "Very High" (more details in the Tesla MOT guidance document).

4: Applicable for the Model S/X/3/Y, give them a copy of the Tesla MOT guidance document.

5:
You may wish to let them know there are specific instructions to follow for the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Test and Brake Servo Test, again detailed in the aforementioned guidance document.

6: Their ramp for the car lift may not provide enough clearance for underneath the car. Check it's okay!

7: It's in the guidance document, but you may wish to let them know how to enable Tow Mode (Model S/Model X) or Transport Mode (Model 3/Model Y) mode, so that the wheels can roll freely (merely selecting the Neutral gear is disabled as soon as you're not in the car).

8: Potentially little things such as for windscreen wiper service (Menu -> Service -> Wiper Service Mode), the location of the Odometer (Menu -> Trips -> Odometer) and how to put the car into drive/reverse/neutral/park. Also mention that there's regen when letting off the accelerator.

The official Tesla MOT specific checklist, if you missed it above, can be found at

--------- last updated 2022-09-09 by dspwhite, old archives here.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of taking my previous MS for an MOT just prior to selling it. I used my local National Tyres who I have had good service from over the past few years and was able to get a half price MOT by downloading a voucher. I booked it in online.

When I got there I offered them my jack pads which they did use and the tester explained that as this was the first Tesla they had seen, he had downloaded specific guidance from National Tyres which he showed me. It looked like a couple of pages of bullet points and I was perfectly comfortable with the way they handled it.

My S is due end this month .. already spoken to village garage and they'll check, clean brakes and rotate, move some tyres around (puncture replacements need putting in sensible corners).
Friendly place and I expect they'll let me stay while it’s done to deal with any queries as they have for puncture repairs when they get me to drive it on and off the ramp.

I'm closing on the date I need to MOT my Tesla Model 3, so I thought I'd research a little and create this checklist of things (ordered by priority) you should probably ensure to make sure the test goes smoothly.

If you can help edit or add to this list, that'd be great. Let's help each other. Apparently, a smaller independent garage is the way to go, as you can more easily help them, and they're less likely to turn you away.

CHECKLIST:

1: First and foremost, make sure they lift only on the jacking points. Buy all FOUR lift pads in advance to lend them if they don't have any. I am open to suggestions on the best product to use. One that's secure and sticks in a little bit, but isn't too tight to take out again.

3: If you have air suspension you may need to tell them about Jack Mode.

4: For the Model X and S, give them a copy of the Tesla MOT guidance document: Ministry of Transport (MOT) Testing - unfortunately, I can't find the site for the Model 3, and I'm not sure how much of that information applies to the Model 3.

5: Stay in Neutral for the brake test (the Tesla MOT document is helpful for this). (Model 3 applicable?)

6: Their ramp for the car lift may not provide enough clearance for underneath the car. Check it's okay!

7: Let them know the location of the odometer. Be careful, since when the car is 'off', it may show the trip meter mileage rather than the total mileage.

8: Let them know how to enable windscreen wiper service mode

9: Potentially little things such as how to put the car into drive/reverse/neutral/park and that there's regen when letting off the accelerator.
Thanks

But isn't the MOT carried out at year 3 or older?

The M3 came out in the UK in June/July 2019 so making it only 2 years old?

Unless you are being super efficient and planning well in advance :)

On my 2nd MOT I realised a couple of beneficial additional actions, namely halting music in the car and disabling phone Bluetooth to avoid interference with car while phone nearby.

My own list to prepare:
  • Top up washer fluid
  • Disable PIN to Drive
  • Disable Sentry
  • Disable Auto Full Beam
  • Disable Headlights after Exit
  • Disable Walk-away Door Lock
  • Disable Driver-only Door Unlock
  • Enable Speed Limit mode (forces Chill Mode)
  • Show total odometer on dash (for when vehicle powered off), inform/request preferred distance unit displayed on odometer/certificate
  • Bring along printout of Tesla guide Ministry of Transport (MOT) Testing
  • Stop music and disable phone Bluetooth, close Tesla App
  • State importance of Very High suspension and Jack Mode before hydraulic lift, put car into Very High suspension with remember location
  • Should normally take 25 minutes (45 minutes first time experience with Tesla Model S)
Having the wheel nut size, torque and tyre pressure helps - but no guarantee they'll listen!

Also had my V5C document number available both times, wasn't needed.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not quite that long-planning ;) Found out it was three earlier oops.
One thing to be aware of - if you take a car in for an MOT more than a month early and the garage doesn't realise your next MOT will be due 1 year after the early one - I know contract hire companies have had drivers take their cars in for an MOT a year early and that means the car ends up needing an extra MOT. You could in theory take a car you had just bought new in for an MOT if you were really stupid,

You could in theory take a car you had just bought new in for an MOT if you were really stupid,

You mean because it might fail!

Seriously, I think the first batch of SR+'s would have failed an early MOT as they had non working fog lights. Hopefully Tesla got around to enabling all those supplied with fog lights and hadn't yet had the blanking plate. But a reminder for any early SR+ owners to check if they have fog lights and if they do that they actually work.

You mean because it might fail!

Seriously, I think the first batch of SR+'s would have failed an early MOT as they had non working fog lights. Hopefully Tesla got around to enabling all those supplied with fog lights and hadn't yet had the blanking plate. But a reminder for any early SR+ owners to check if they have fog lights and if they do that they actually work.
No - because you end up having to pay for each mot whether it was actually needed or not.

CHECKLIST:

1: First and foremost, make sure they lift only on the jacking points. Buy all FOUR lift pads in advance to lend them if they don't have any. I am open to suggestions on the best product to use. One that's secure and sticks in a little bit, but isn't too tight to take out again.

3: If you have air suspension you may need to tell them about Jack Mode.

4: For the Model X and S, give them a copy of the Tesla MOT guidance document: Ministry of Transport (MOT) Testing - unfortunately, I can't find the site for the Model 3, and I'm not sure how much of that information applies to the Model 3. Update - now updated with Model 3 and Model Y details.

5: Stay in Neutral for the brake test (the Tesla MOT document is helpful for this). (Model 3 applicable?)

7: Let them know the location of the odometer. Be careful, since when the car is 'off', it may show the trip meter mileage rather than the total mileage.

8: Let them know how to enable windscreen wiper service mode

9: Potentially little things such as how to put the car into drive/reverse/neutral/park and that there's regen when letting off the accelerator.

The official Tesla MOT specific checklist, if you missed it in #4 above, can be found at
I'd be interested in that list, but clicking on the links gives an instant flash of text then a "404 - not found" error. However something is downloaded - but unopenable!

One thing to be aware of - if you take a car in for an MOT more than a month early and the garage doesn't realise your next MOT will be due 1 year after the early one - I know contract hire companies have had drivers take their cars in for an MOT a year early and that means the car ends up needing an extra MOT. You could in theory take a car you had just bought new in for an MOT if you were really stupid,
for the record I think the rule is 28 days. If you take it in 28days or less before the MOT then the new expiry date will be one year from the end of the current MOT not one year from the day of the MOT. They do that to encourage people not to leave it until the last minute. If its more than 28 days then its just one year from the MOT date. But I would assume the computer takes care of it and the new end date would be automatic not at the whim of the garage but I may be wrong.

No - because you end up having to pay for each mot whether it was actually needed or not.

It depends on whether you think of the MOT as a safety check or an unnecessary expense. Considering how many cars fail their first MOT and have potentially been driving around in an unsafe condition for the preceding 3 years, the ~£54 (or less if you don't want to support a local independent garage) MOT test is a pretty cheap and thorough safety check. You don't know if its going to need an MOT until you get one.

Certainly my own personal vehicle failed its first MOT for poor braking. It had been driving around like that for the previous 3 years even though it had been through various manufacturers services and/or inspections/safety checks. I didn't know better and just thought it was the model of the car. Little did I know it was a fault with my car that ultimately required 2 rebuilds of the rear brakes, thankfully done under warranty as I had made sure that I had the MOT done before the warranty ran out. But without the MOT I had been blissfully unaware and lulled into a false sense of security by manufacturers so called safety checks.