Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Your first UK Tesla MOT? Checklist before the visit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking for an MOT place for my Model 3 in the North East. Anyone know of a place that has seen a Tesla at least once before? Preferably someone with first hand experience of a place
There's nothing magic about MOT on a Tesla and any garage has to see their first one. Just find a friendly place that is happy for you to lurk around and help out with making sure they know the lifting points and let you drive it onto the lifts and disable stuff on the menus. see my thread re my S MOT today.

I’m looking for an MOT place for my Model 3 in the North East. Anyone know of a place that has seen a Tesla at least once before? Preferably someone with first hand experience of a place
Do you mean NE England or NE Scotland? If the latter Dee Garage in Banchory are doing mine next month - their first Tesla but talking to the garage they seem very knowledgeable, even asking about pucks for the jacking location.

Just updated the checklist. The biggest change was the brake-related tests, which now adhere / point to Tesla's official guidance document. Also clarified tow / transport mode, and added the point about raising the suspension to its highest for the Model S/X with air suspension.

Also moved the windscreen wiper service mode down a priority, and updated the info on how to access the Odometer. Other small tweaks too.

If you want to access previous archives of the post (to check for changes), you can do so here: archive.ph

With DRL now being a major MOT failure item, I wonder if it would be possible to get through just by enabling Range Mode such that they don’t light at all, leaving the technician to believe that the vehicle is simply without them - in the probable case that one or more segments have failed beyond limited warranty.

Oh Daytime Running Lights is an enforced thing you must have in a car these days? Does Tesla not allow you to have your headlights shining during the day? Surely it'd be an easy thing to add. I mean, you could just turn them on manually, though maybe it has to be automatic to pass the DRL test?

One interesting thing I noticed in Tesla's Guidance document is this:

1. Position the lifting arm pads under the body rails at the four locations shown below (locations in green, Figure 1). DO NOT position the lifting arm pads under the battery or side rails (locations in red, Figure 1).

However, aren't the side rails used when they're resting on a long flat raising platform? I saw the image below off various Amazon lift pad products. The sky blue / cyan area seems to be indicated as "stabilization points" which can rested upon a flat platform:

car.jpg

One interesting thing I noticed in Tesla's Guidance document is this:

However, aren't the side rails used when they're resting on a long flat raising platform? I saw the image below off various Amazon lift pad products. The sky blue / cyan area seems to be indicated as "stabilization points" which can rested upon a flat platform:

View attachment 850949
The implication of resting on its side would be if the car rolled and needed balancing in that position???

For those on Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire border, I can again recommend Sandhurst MOT/Tyres etc in erm, Sandhurst. Vulcan Way to be precise: Sandhurst MOT Centre | Local Garage | Sandhurst

I've used them for years for tyres and thoroughly recommend them for them for tyres, but my regular MOT garage have now much reduced their hours and possibly going to retire so thought as Sandhurst MOT are a HEVRA garage I would try them out as a possible new venue.

The MOT guys were as friendly and helpful as those on the tyres. I think it was our chaps first Model 3 but knew all about pucks, tow/transport mode etc and his colleague was on hand to navigate him around the screen - still a challenge for many of the original Model 3 owners with everything keep being moved on a regular basis... Car was brake tested on road rather than on the rollers.

You can book online above but I phoned as I wanted more than knowing if it was AM/PM (time confirmed with a call back later I am told) and got a much earlier appointment than the dates given on the web site. A small discount off the regular MOT price. I think its only the second time that I have officially paid for anything at Sandhurst - often its free check/repair which I have repaid in kind with a bacon butty or two.

The only things that I would recommend is
  • make sure you take your key card
  • disable pin to drive
  • if you have not done so already, set up an additional driver 'service' profile and (we forgot to use it) use it prior to handing over so seat positions can be easily restored afterwards
Car passed, no advisories but it would have been a different story a few weeks prior when Tesla Mk 1 Pedestrian Warning System, aka squeaky dry suspension arms was in full fanfare. So another recommendation, if you have not had your front suspension upper control arms replaced prior to your first MOT, give them a listen even though Tesla may have bodged a fix the year before - it is a matter of running out of lubrication when, not if. There is a reason why most other cars have (grease) nipples Tesla... unless 'sealed for life' means sealed for 2 years, 11 months with a quick intermediate bodge of urethane to try and keep the moisture out. Hopefully revision G has sorted that upper control arm problem...

Last edited:
Reactions: dspwhite
Another consideration with MOT'S

Council & Date.

All Local Councils have to provide MOT Centres, which have to deal with Public. These sites are only interested in MOT Tests, not finding costly repairs they can quote for. Council MOT Centres don't do repairs.

Also, consider getting two MOT's done in the first year.

My car was registered on 10th September 2021... lots of cars are registered in September, so it's a real issue getting a Council MOT booking in September...

So rebook it in the following June and use that date ongoing, for a better booking and (warmer) experience while waiting.

Ha, that just shows when I last got up close and personal with some (grease) nipples...

TBH, every other car manufacturer sorting it nearly 30 years ago makes it even worse, yet, just like some other features on the car, Tesla are struggling to get these basic things right without a recall, warranty claim and ~7 part revisions.