Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your guess on the build quality of the 2020 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a bad build quality of their cars. For example, model X has misaligned side door handles, model S has uneven gaps, etc....

With such expensive price on the new Roadster, do you think it will have much better build quality? Given that this will be new design, I am afraid that we will have poor build quality of the new Roadster. I hope I am wrong though.

Sorry to laugh at your question, but this week we literally had an article quoting Bob Lutz of all people banging on about just how world class fantastic the panel gaps and build quality are on the Model 3

Bob Lutz: Improved Tesla Panel Gaps Are Now "World Class" | CleanTechnica

Fact is that Tesla improves constantly and quickly in all areas. The cars you saw last week aren't necessarily the same as the ones this week, let alone last year, or 5 years ago. The engineers iterate continually and those improvements make it onto the line as soon as they are ready without any waiting for a newer model year etc.

No doubt the Y will be better than the 3. So I fully expect that the Roadster will be light years ahead in quality from anything you currently see, even today.

Sorry to laugh at your question, but this week we literally had an article quoting Bob Lutz of all people banging on about just how world class fantastic the panel gaps and build quality are on the Model 3

Fact is that Tesla improves constantly and quickly in all areas. The cars you saw last week aren't necessarily the same as the ones this week, let alone last year, or 5 years ago. The engineers iterate continually and those improvements make it onto the line as soon as they are ready without any waiting for a newer model year etc.

No doubt the Y will be better than the 3. So I fully expect that the Roadster will be light years ahead in quality from anything you currently see, even today.
I was surprised to see Bob Lutz's complimentary remarks. I have one of his books. The guy definitely knows what he's talking about.

Hahaha, I guess my 2016 P90D uneven gaps and my friend model X uneven door hinges and seeing similar defects of other people's Tesla gave me a wrong gereralization. Anyway, I hope my future Roadster will have good build quality. Crossing fingers.

If Tesla planned to build 1000 roadsters a year (20 a week), I think there is a good chance that the build quality would be as good as other exotics. But I'm afraid that building 10,000 a year (200 a week) there's a good chance the quality will suffer. Yes, I know that the Tesla factories are quite state of the art etc etc, but my model S was the same price as a Mercedes S class and only half the build quality. I'd really prefer they slow down the build process and get it right, otherwise the resale value will fall through the floor.

Reactions: gowthamn
I don't think there's any way they build 10K roadsters per year. Unless I'm totally out of touch, I don't believe there's a market for that many 200K plus electric performance cars. Esp. not from Tesla which has no street cred in the high performance game. Note - I'm fully in on the Roadster.

Reactions: Callawayc7
I have been on the hunt for a suitable replacement of my Acura NSX. I have considered the new Roadster, but my delivery experience for my Model 3 Performance was so bad, I'm wondering if I want to go through it again.......

Is it really the goal to build 10,000 Roadsters a year ?

Reactions: gowthamn