Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Happiest ICE (New or Used) Auto Dealer Story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After taking delivery of my first EV, it was time to sell the Honda Civic Si. I had bought it used from a local dealer with all of 500 miles on it. I returned it two years later with 30K miles. When I approached the sales manager and asked if he wanted it back, he asked "What's wrong with it?" My reply: "It has a gasoline engine, I have no need for them anymore." The look on his face was priceless.

My best experience was buying my second Lexus at Sewell Lexus, a second generation LS430. It was actually used to present the new line at the dealership a few weeks earlier so it was fully loaded. I test drove the car, went back and forth a bit with the wife and Sewell offered me a very good trade in price on my LS400. Then the sales guy had to track down the car and when he found out another potential customer was test driving it all he did was call and say "bring the car back, it's sold". I was out in not much more than an hour.

every single ICE dealership exp is complete crap and a waste of time, hours wasted, thousands spent, garbage service all around.

the least amount of bs ive had to deal with was i took my genesis coupe in for an oil change, and i paid $50 on master card, i preferred amex but that wasnt accepted.

yeah thats as good as it got.

Had an oil change appointment at my local Toyota stealership for 10:30. Being the punctual type I arrive on time.
Toyota: "the guys just started their 10:30 break so they'll take your car in at 10:45."
Me: "why did you give me a 10:30 appointment then?"
Toyota: "So you have enough time to get here."
Needless to say, I've never been back.

I've been fortunate in that most of my experiences with past new car purchases have been generally positive, and only a few negative. The best experience for me was with the Mercedes Benz dealership in Tyler. I was searching for a specific model and options and wanted to avoid the ordering process for the car. I emailed the dealership and called ahead and received a response immediately, and scheduled a time to visit the following week. We told them we had only two hours to complete the deal if one was to be made.

My wife and I made the pleasant drive there the following week and upon arrival, they immediately began inspecting our trade-in vehicle while we inspected and test drove the new car. Ultimately, we negotiated $12k off the purchase price and received exactly what we wanted in the trade-in value and left the dealership in our new car about an hour later. As my wife and I removed our things from our trade-in car, they brought a box of freshly baked cookies from a local bakery with a thank you card to us and recommended a good restaurant to visit on our way home.

i received two follow up calls to make sure I was happy with the new car the following week. Really, a great experience.

When I leased my 36K 2008 Passsat GLX blue/tan 5MT for $110/mo with $500 down, 3 years, they wanted that manual transmission eye sore (to them only) off the middle of the showroom. When I came back for first service with a bottle of Tokaji for the sales manager who dealt with me personally I learned that he had been fired, more wine for me:)

Another one is when I bumped into a dutchman dealer in the middle of WV, Mr Jasper Elberink who made my Audi S4 buying (first car I ever owned in my life if we exclude the $500 jalope when I immigrated) an extremely enjoyable experience. Here next to the Turbo X (Xxxx xxx GM, you brand killer!) it replaced, now you can see my addiction to AWD that made me crave the S85D:
IMG_2923.JPG

Last edited: