Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your M3 price vs. your disposable income

How many months of disposable income to pay your configuration?

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 26 10.0%
  • 3-5

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • 6-10

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • 11-20

Votes: 37 14.3%
  • 21-50

Votes: 67 25.9%
  • 51-100

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • 101-200

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 201-500

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 500+

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what my income is, but I don't know how to define my "disposable" income. I don't have a habit of "disposing" of income. I'd be glad to answer in a poll about how much of my total income will go to my configuration, however.

What's smarter: Get a 30yr mortgage and save up to buy your car with cash, or get a 15yr mortgage and finance a car at <2.00% APR?
The smartest way would be buying a cheaper car!

You can manage your finances however you want, but I never quite understand the people who feel the responsible use of credit is akin to devil worship or something.
The question is what responsible means. There`s enough people out there driving around in financed cars that are worth double their annual income.
In my personal opinion nothing about financing/loaning an expensive tool is "acting responsible" if there are cheaper options available :)

In the end it`s a lifestyle question.

Reactions: Canuck
The smartest way would be buying a cheaper car!

The question is what responsible means. There`s enough people out there driving around in financed cars that are worth double their annual income.
In my personal opinion nothing about financing/loaning an expensive tool is "acting responsible" if there are cheaper options available :)

In the end it`s a lifestyle question.

I don't imagine too many people are getting approved for loans for cars that cost double their income.

What kind of bank is stupid enough to approve such a risky loan and what would the interest rate be?

The exception could be people who mooch off their parents and have relatively high paying jobs. Even then I doubt that's "plenty" of people. Someone driving $80K car that earns $40K a year? Doubt it's possible.

In every car forum the same thing happens, on one side the person who argues that anyone not paying cash is an idiot, on the other side the person who is car poor and trying to convince everyone that's just ducky and the rest of us in the middle looking around saying "WTF, how did we get here"?

Reactions: jsmay311
What if you're planning to make a fairly large down payment and possible other lump sum payments along the way?

That's why I didn't ask what's the monthly loan payment :) The price / disposable income doesn't care if you pay it full in cash, with 100% loan, or anything in between.

I'm also planning to put some cash down, plus trade-in, so hopefully my monthly payment will be fairly low.

I didn't factor in the tax credit as it plays no part in the purchase or resulting loan price.
I've seen this statement about how you must finance the pre-credit/rebate amount and am confused about the assumption. Why couldn't you just float the credit /rebates, finance the post rebate /credit amount? Not everyone might choose this option, but some certainly might.

I've seen this statement about how you must finance the pre-credit/rebate amount and am confused about the assumption. Why couldn't you just float the credit /rebates, finance the post rebate /credit amount? Not everyone might choose this option, but some certainly might.
You can certainly pay the loan anyway you want. The final purchase price though, does not reflect the future credit. The future credit is also not guaranteed if they were to suddenly take away the EV tax credit.

It worries me when some people say they can only afford the car because of the EV tax credit or that they are saving money for the purchase price minus the tax credit, not even considering sales tax and other fees in addition to not even being able to claim the credit until they file taxes in the following year.

There are some people who even think the EV tax credit is like some instant rebate that they get at the time purchase.

Some states do have a tax rebate or point of sale rebate though. That's why I asked originally. I too am also borrowing from myself the 7500 credit, and then paying it back come tax time. But that's because I like low car payments.
Hey, I like low car payments too, but I haven't been able to get my M3 configured the way I want it with a low payment ;)

Defining "disposable income" for this poll is a challenge. I think using the term "monthly savings" or "amount available to be saved" would be better and allow people who have a car payment on a vehicle that the M3 would replace to assume that amount is part of the "savings" for purposes of this calculation. The problem with the idea above is it would treat retirement savings and college fund savings like expenses when the reality is someone could put those on temporary hold to make funds available for a car purchase.

Regardless of how people define "disposable income" I'm sure the results will be all over the map but concentrated into 1-2 categories close to each other.

Also judging by the poll, there are way more multi-millionaires buying this car than I had imagined.
Perhaps, but these types of polls suffer from severe self-selection bias.
By all the existing data, which is really not definitive, Tesla is unusual.

From Roadster to Model S and Model X there are been two huge modes one of which is not typical for cars costing as much as these three have. One mode is wealthy people, seen most obviously perhaps with P models but really throughout the line. The other is people with decidedly less wealth but a passion for the vehicles and the Tesla goals.

I suspect almost all of us who've travelled in our Teslas have observed that so suspect that bi-modal character is probably valid. The astounding reality is that these two groups are probably unlikely to be casual acquaintances, but at Superchargers and at events, including TMC Connect we're all enthusiastic together.

Model 3 will continue that tradition, I think, but will obviously have a much larger younger shift. Frankly, Model 3 will make us all much more fun than we may have been. I hope so.

As one of the few older owners myself I really hope to see more first time buyers to join the last time buyers. That's why I'm curious about Model 3 owner age distribution.

@SageBrush has it perfectly correct. Forum participants are outliers, statistically speaking, so we all represent an influential but small group. In marketing terms most of us are probably "influencers"; we're interesting to know about but most definitely aren't typical.

You are setting up a straw-man, but the view you do not hold says this: use credit for appreciating assets. Examples might include a home, an education, or a business.
I'm not sure I understand at all. Say I know I need two things, a house and a car. So no matter what, I have one appreciating asset and one depreciating one, and for the sake of argument, let's assume it has to be the same house and car no matter my financing scenario. No matter what I do, I'm going to end up with $200,000 in loans, $100,000 in equity, and one asset that appreciates and one that depreciates. Now, whether that loan money is for the house or for the car and in what proportion seems irrelevant to me, save for the interest rate those loans are being charged at. Cars are usually charged at significantly lower interest rates (less than half) than mortgages.

Far from a strawman, I think perhaps your advice is good for those who have trouble understanding credit or financial planning. But if you think financing a car is always silly, the thousands of dollars I'll be saving by doing so beg to differ.

... Cars are usually charged at significantly lower interest rates (less than half) than mortgages.

Tenor equalized car loans are always more expensive than are mortgages. However, car loans are often subvened so appear to be cheaper on the surface. The car dealer Finance and Insurance functions in the US make typically more than 100% of new car sales profit. The manufacturers/distributors very frequently subsidize loans rates.

Typically the best negotiating tactic in a dealership is to allow the F&I process to go as it does, contracting on the best stated sales price and ignoring loan quotes. With all that in hand then say you've decided to pay cash. If they will easily accept that offer then you can usually think you got a good finance deal. If not, force the point because you probably got a good sales price.

If that is not pleasing you can always buy a Tesla.
Negotiating leases is much harder.

Reactions: Nvbob and SageBrush