Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model 3 brethren would like your help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Maybe you've seen the hundreds of posts on the Model 3 forums about the lack of a driver facing display on the model 3? (If not, head on over you'll get an eyeful )

Arguments on if you really need a speedometer in front of you, whether not seeing AP info in front of you will work, etc, etc etc, etc. I was wondering if any model S owners might consider covering up their dash display for a drive, or a day or more, and report your experience (good and bad) of just using the big screen back back on the Model 3 forms? If you don't think it's safe to do this sort of experiment let us know that too. I don't own an S/X so I'm not sure if you can display AP info on the big screen like the model 3 is expected to.

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
Hey guys,

Maybe you've seen the hundreds of posts on the Model 3 forums about the lack of a driver facing display on the model 3? (If not, head on over you'll get an eyeful )

Arguments on if you really need a speedometer in front of you, whether not seeing AP info in front of you will work, etc, etc etc, etc. I was wondering if any model S owners might consider covering up their dash display for a drive, or a day or more, and report your experience (good and bad) of just using the big screen back back on the Model 3 forms? If you don't think it's safe to do this sort of experiment let us know that too. I don't own an S/X so I'm not sure if you can display AP info on the big screen like the model 3 is expected to.
You can't. Nor can you display speed. Not a comparable test.

Hey guys,

The center infotainment display on the S/X does not show speedo. Wouldn't be safe to do.

Hey guys,

There's no way to display the speed on the centre screen of a Model S, so this test won't provide a comparable experience unfortunately (also not particularly safe).

Edit: Ha, I was a bit slow with that response...

Ah alright, well ty for the info. Just out of curiosity does it display AP / Surrounding car info? If not I'd think that likely points to a completely separate UI for the 3 rather than some combo 8.xx revision that's coming out.

Hey guys,

i have to admit, i can't imagine buying a car without a dashboard. whether i "need" it or not, i still WANT it. it gives a sense of control and status and information. i'm aware of Elon's comments on the matter but no -- a dashless car would not work for me. nope.

Reactions: Big-T
There is a spike under the driver's seat. It protrudes upwards 0.2" per 10 mph of speed. It acts as a speedometer, a safety device, and for some the entertainment system.

Seriously, if you do not have a good estimate of your speed without looking at gauges, you might need more practice driving.

Reactions: ev-now
Hey guys,

Wahhhhhh

Screenshot_20170328-153546.png