TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Your Model 3 brethren would like your help

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Big-T, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Big-T

Big-T Member

Hey guys,

Maybe you've seen the hundreds of posts on the Model 3 forums about the lack of a driver facing display on the model 3? (If not, head on over you'll get an eyeful )

Arguments on if you really need a speedometer in front of you, whether not seeing AP info in front of you will work, etc, etc etc, etc. I was wondering if any model S owners might consider covering up their dash display for a drive, or a day or more, and report your experience (good and bad) of just using the big screen back back on the Model 3 forms? If you don't think it's safe to do this sort of experiment let us know that too. I don't own an S/X so I'm not sure if you can display AP info on the big screen like the model 3 is expected to.

• Funny x 1
  2. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

You can't. Nor can you display speed. Not a comparable test.

3. eyespii

eyespii Member

The center infotainment display on the S/X does not show speedo. Wouldn't be safe to do.

4. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

There's no way to display the speed on the centre screen of a Model S, so this test won't provide a comparable experience unfortunately (also not particularly safe).

Edit: Ha, I was a bit slow with that response...

5. Big-T

Big-T Member

Ah alright, well ty for the info. Just out of curiosity does it display AP / Surrounding car info? If not I'd think that likely points to a completely separate UI for the 3 rather than some combo 8.xx revision that's coming out.

6. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

As I said above, no.

7. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

i have to admit, i can't imagine buying a car without a dashboard. whether i "need" it or not, i still WANT it. it gives a sense of control and status and information. i'm aware of Elon's comments on the matter but no -- a dashless car would not work for me. nope.

• Like x 1
  8. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

There is a spike under the driver's seat. It protrudes upwards 0.2" per 10 mph of speed. It acts as a speedometer, a safety device, and for some the entertainment system.

Seriously, if you do not have a good estimate of your speed without looking at gauges, you might need more practice driving.

• Like x 1
  9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Wahhhhhh

Screenshot_20170328-153546.png

10. tezzla

tezzla Member

Back in the 70's I drove my van without a working speedometer for a couple of years; believe me, it's no big deal.