Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model 3 Maximum Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The displayed range doesn’t vary with driving style. Tesla basically just use miles for a proxy for available energy, the things that can change that are

- degradation
- temperature, a cold battery can’t hold/give up as much as a warm b
- inaccurate measurement due to drifted calibration
(I can’t think of another,there may be)

We’re about to enter the season of panicked owners reporting lower capacity
thanks George, appreciate the info.

Well that is strange then, I can't see how the battery would degrade 5% in a month without super charging or any shift in weather. This was in the mid point of our fairly mild summer too.

It seems to have locked on around 236 now since, I did think the change happened straight after a software update. Either way I'm not panicked :)

But look forward to seeing how the cold tests things :)

2018 M3 LR RWD (17xxx vin) 24k miles, 299 miles @ 100%

Charge set to 70%, usually charge when down to 30-50%. Have made several long distance trips in the winter where I charged to 100%. Now I try to only charge to 90% even on long trips.

Last edited:
2018 M3 LR RWD (17xxx vin) 24k miles, 299 miles @ 100%

Charge set to 70%, usually charge when down to 30-50%. Have made several long distance trips in the winter where I charged to 100%. Now I try to only charge to 90% even on long trips.
Does charging only to 90% protect the range over time?

I thought 100% was fine so long as you didn’t leave it full.

Does charging only to 90% protect the range over time?

I thought 100% was fine so long as you didn’t leave it full.

I found that for the most part I don't need to charge to 100, while in the past if I was going to go on a long road trip would just do 100 "because" ... So for example driving North from Austin to Kansas, no need to charge much because a quick stop in Waco will get me in the way. Same driving south to San Antonio, quick stop in San Marcos.

As for if it is better at 90, I would have to assume so. And often when charging from home/hotel it was hard to "time" leaving at 100, so it would sit there for a bit.

I have also charged to 100 from a hotel in winter as well.

I've not really worried about this much, but this thread did prompt me to see what reading I was getting.

I have a UK 2019 P-. I think my EPA range is 310 (can anyone confirm?) and now the BMS shows 278 at 100% which seems to be lower than most replies on the forum.

The car is on 14k and has done ~90% of its charging AC. I don't let it sit at high or low states of charge (SoC) etc and it does get left at a range of SoC so should have change to balance and calibrate.

This is about 10% loss. What do you think, within tolerance or something to keep an eye on?

Chris.

Reactions: Big Earl
I've not really worried about this much, but this thread did prompt me to see what reading I was getting.

I have a UK 2019 P-. I think my EPA range is 310 (can anyone confirm?) and now the BMS shows 278 at 100% which seems to be lower than most replies on the forum.

The car is on 14k and has done ~90% of its charging AC. I don't let it sit at high or low states of charge (SoC) etc and it does get left at a range of SoC so should have change to balance and calibrate.

This is about 10% loss. What do you think, within tolerance or something to keep an eye on?

Chris.
Does seem lower than average. Not much you can do though to keep an eye on it though its hard to avoid with the lastest app version.
P- draws more current than LR so maybe that is a factor on battery wear. Would be interesting to compare LR and P results

Chris.

Seems in the normal ballpark to me.

Chris.

If you read around the forum you will pick up that this reading is not a reliable indication of how far you can drive nor does it give a reliable indication of a particular degree of the degeneration of your battery pack over time. The BMS does its best but it can easily be out of whack just through your normal use... even when not doing anything "wrong". Those who track their consumption and range in more detail through the likes of Teslafi (which claims a better representation of such things) find that the numbers tend to go in jumps in both positive and negative directions. Given that you are in the right ball park the best advice is to worry about something else because your car is almost certainly fine!

Thanks for the replies.

I'll keep an eye on it, I have had a few occasions where I've need to fully charge and it kept charging for sometime after the car reported 100%. Maybe next time I do that it will help recalibrate and I'll gain a few miles back, who knows!

099FFA77-0C2D-4048-BCA3-7EA872604D5B.jpeg
SR+ 2022, 19inch wheels…getting 263 (After 3k miles)

Chris.
I'm in a similar situation. Fleet average is about 295.

Ok, so not just me then. Is your a P-, LR or P out of interest?

I'm hoping a 100% charge may help let the BMS know the top and get me a few back but not had a long enough drive planned to justify a full charge.
P-

One other data point, at an empty Supercharger and went to 100% before I left. When I unplugged the car was still pulling 15kw so I suspect the miscalibration is at the top of the battery. People here have said the 2019 BMS isn't as good as later revisions but I'm fairly sure the underlying battery is the same.

In short - I am convinced there's at least 295 rated miles in there, but I'm not planning on stressing out the battery just so I get a higher number in the app,

One question I've not been able to find an answer for - is the 2019 P- rated at 310 miles, or 325 like the LR?

P-

One other data point, at an empty Supercharger and went to 100% before I left. When I unplugged the car was still pulling 15kw so I suspect the miscalibration is at the top of the battery. People here have said the 2019 BMS isn't as good as later revisions but I'm fairly sure the underlying battery is the same.

In short - I am convinced there's at least 295 rated miles in there, but I'm not planning on stressing out the battery just so I get a higher number in the app,

One question I've not been able to find an answer for - is the 2019 P- rated at 310 miles, or 325 like the LR?
Its probably the wheels and tyres on the P that make the biggest difference. so I would think it makes more sense to be rated like an LR than a P

My 2019 M3P drifted down to around 280, probably due to my "charge to 80%" habit. I tried the low/high cycling over the weekend - down to 10% and left about 5 hours before charging to 95% overnight. I read somewhere that at 92% the battery balancing kicks in. I left it for 4 hours and then drove it to take it down to about 75%. I'm currently showing 287 at 100% so a displayed recovery of 7 miles. This was just a single cycle. I'm pretty sure this is all BMS related but worth a shot if you're worried. I'll maybe try to cycle it every few months but not too fussed as long as there isn't a progressive fall off.

Does it matter if you leave it at 100%? The answer to that seems to be "yes" but I guess that if you leave it at high state of charge for a couple of hours now and again, then you're probably OK.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
M3LR I ordered in July 2021 and got it sept 2021
Not a clue what I have but on the tesla uk website claiming 360 miles when I ordered so I expect to have what is advertised a upgraded 2021 82kW pack

Initially it was showing 330 miles then at 1000 miles 335 now 2000 miles range is showing 340 miles. all good but not 360 miles.
Normally charge at 50% after 2 days driving to 90% on octopus EV rate using zappi charger.
Actual range seems to be only 269 miles at 260w/mile does not make any sense. this works at 67KW pack or I am burning 310w/m with a 78KW pack. So the recorded w/m is way off some how.
Charging up pumping 28.5kw (assuming no loss to the car) in it gives 127 miles and 37% increase in battery works out to be 77kw pack and 344 mile range.
TeslaFI listed the same charge 28.9Kw and only 28.09 actual added which makes the battery pack only 75kw.

Last edited: