Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model 3 Standard Range (is being software limited)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of us who ordered base model Model 3s, the "Standard Range" or SR RWD version, right after Tesla first made them available, were delivered Model 3 SR+ battery packs (240 mile range) and SR+ software, giving us truly 240 mile range.

I received my Model 3 on 18 April, and I've charged to 238-239 miles at least three times.

Now we are receiving emails telling us it's time to dial all the back, and turn on the software limits. Here's the email I got:

Your Model 3 will soon receive new software that matches the Model 3 Standard Range configuration you ordered. As we communicated in April, this includes a limited range of 220 miles, and the removal of several software features. To continue experiencing the extended range, faster acceleration and Autopilot features of Model 3 Standard Range Plus, schedule a service appointment through your Tesla app.

Your car will be software-limited in the next 10 days to match your original configuration.

Best Regards,
The Tesla Team
So I know the range will be dialed back to 220 miles.

What else are they laming in the software?

Will people buy dragy and if SR does 5.8 sec, will they demand Tesla make it 5.6 sec?

Tesla will make sure it is noticeably slower.

After applying software limit, when Tesla makes features available á la carte, what would be the fair price for "range + acceleration" option?
$1500?

How about heated seats?
$300?

Last edited:
I don't get this. If someone wanted all the stuff in an SR+, then pay for an SR+, if you don't and don't pay for it, then why get torqued when what amounted to a "free trial" expired. Why not just treat the fact that the leather and possible later ability to unlock a whole trim level is an interesting option. Everything I read indicated that they were pretty clear about what wasn't in the SR compared to the SR+, and kinda telegraphed (at least from my interpretation) that they didn't really want to sell a lot of them anyways, they'd rather sell an SR+ (obviously if their costs are the same). The SR exists I think to fulfill a promise about price point availability, not because they want to sell a lot of them right now, in my opinion.

And with the talk I've seen other places about how they should just enable everything that's in hardware, well, that would just mean that the SR non+ wouldn't exist. If they do offer an "unlock upgrade" then this is probably a gamble that enough people upgrade to justify the costs of the hardware (and the advantages of build commonality).

Its not like this isn't normal in other cars to an extent limited by their ability to manage software either. Often the difference in engine output between certain trims isn't much more than a different software map in the ECU. They just don't let you try it out and possibly upgrade later so easily.

Roy, does it say on your screen that you have a Standard or Standard Plus? And what is the Supercharger doing? Are you setting the slider as far right as it goes and when it gets there it says 220 miles? Or are you estimating it by extrapolation?

Don't tell Elon and the CFO, but my only software suppression on range applies only to supercharging. On my home Level II charging system I have been using for 8 years with non-Tesla EVs, I still get like 236 miles per charge.

The software limitation is in the car. Perhaps you slipped through the cracks but SR owners are limited to 220 whether it be at home or otherwise.

why are people complaining about getting something that they didn't pay for and have it taken away later? maybe there's some legal or moral argument that i'm missing here... i know in some circumstances one is justified in keeping the extra stuff, but this doesn't seem to be one of these cases...

Roy, does it say on your screen that you have a Standard or Standard Plus? And what is the Supercharger doing? Are you setting the slider as far right as it goes and when it gets there it says 220 miles? Or are you estimating it by extrapolation?

The screen still says Standard Plus, which is what the sticker says.
Yes, when I charge I move the slider all the way to the right (and leave it there on road trips). I keep it plugged in until charging stops (about 20 minutes after the first time my phone says I have "5 minutes" remaining). I do not do math and cannot extrapolate my way out of a paper bag, so I am going by the predicted range on the screen. Note that I mentioned 236 miles on my home chargers, but my last one was 240.

I drove this car out of the Tesla store for $37,200 (base price $35K plus $1K for blue paint, and $1,200 "destination and Regulatory Doc Fee." The "Model 3 Standard Range Plus" opinion on the sticker was $4,500, which I did not pay. Of course I got the fearsome email that my range was going to be limited, but that never happened with my home charger.

I am charging at home now and will report the anticipated range figure tomorrow.

Roy