Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what this actually means?

To me, Tesla is trying to fool us into thinking something is happening. I've seen various VINs go into that status. I don't think that is nice. Let's hope we go into production in the next few days then. If not that a bad sense of hope Tesla is giving us.

I got that status and am still 7 weeks out from my delivery date. I'm just guessing that it is marking a point where absolutely no more changes are allowed to the order. Otherwise, probably meaningless. Or perhaps it is Tesla's way of answering the complaints that they don't give us enough information about what is going on.

Yep the statuses are probably like this now:

Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.
In Production
Production Complete
In transit
Delivered

Sounds like this is a better thing to say then give the appearance they are trying to find parts for your car.. and also Tesla reps can now tell you changes can't be made since your car is in the 'production queue' already. Smart move, Elon.

Yep the statuses are probably like this now:

Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.
In Production
Production Complete
In transit
Delivered

Sounds like this is a better thing to say then give the appearance they are trying to find parts for your car.. and also Tesla reps can now tell you changes can't be made since your car is in the 'production queue' already. Smart move, Elon.

Sounds about right. Ok excitement is gone.

... To me, Tesla is trying to fool us into thinking something is happening. I've seen various VINs go into that status. I don't think that is nice. Let's hope we go into production in the next few days then. If not that a bad sense of hope Tesla is giving us.

I got that status and am still 7 weeks out from my delivery date. I'm just guessing that it is marking a point where absolutely no more changes are allowed to the order. Otherwise, probably meaningless. Or perhaps it is Tesla's way of answering the complaints that they don't give us enough information about what is going on.

...Sounds like this is a better thing to say then give the appearance they are trying to find parts for your car.. and also Tesla reps can now tell you changes can't be made since your car is in the 'production queue' already. Smart move, Elon.

Wow, tough crowd. Maybe it actually IS the status and not something just to give the appearance of a status or a slick move or trying to fool anyone. Too many experiences with dealerships here?

Bonnie, at the end of the day, Tesla is a company.. a publicly facing and well scrutinized company. Elon Musk is a very intelligent man, and they know any slip up will be devastating to their stock and shareholders. The wording and timing of this status change, along with delivery delays and other rumors, is very interesting. This still pales in comparison to dealerships, but it seems in the auto industry even Tesla needs to "tell the customer what they want to hear".

Anyone still have "Sourcing parts for your Model S" status?

My guess would be no.

Looks like everyone got a new default status change to give the appearance their cars are readying for production... hmm... interestingggggg! :frown:

Bonnie, at the end of the day, Tesla is a company.. a publicly facing and well scrutinized company. Elon Musk is a very intelligent man, and they know any slip up will be devastating to their stock and shareholders. The wording and timing of this status change, along with delivery delays and other rumors, is very interesting. This still pales in comparison to dealerships, but it seems in the auto industry even Tesla needs to "tell the customer what they want to hear".

Perhaps after you've been a Tesla customer longer, you'll change some of your perception. As you can see from the forum, most long-term owners give Tesla the benefit of the doubt. What needs improvement (imo) is customer communication. But the poor communication (also imo) is not a result of deliberately just telling the customer want they want to hear, but rather, just poor communication from a company growing extremely fast.

We can all only filter new experiences through the past experiences we've had. So I can understand why the immediate assumption will be to assume the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also add that the market isn't watching delivery status messages - way too much importance on something so easily checked. What will matter at the end of the quarter is actual production numbers. I doubt anyone in senior management set the production messages. As an investor with a fair amount of TSLA, I don't really care about the status messages. I care about what I personally observed on the factory floor and I care about the results. Period.

Well, the status messages have improved from the early days. In my case it was "your reservation number is 509", nothing, nothing, nothing, please fill out your paperwork, nothing, nothing, then a call from the service center to set up delivery....

I agree that a status message such as this is not a critical item. My impression from people who have ordered cars with traditional dealers is that the level of detail that Tesla provides is unusual, if not nonexistent, in the traditional car buying market.

Anyone know what this actually means?

To me, Tesla is trying to fool us into thinking something is happening. I've seen various VINs go into that status. I don't think that is nice. Let's hope we go into production in the next few days then. If not that a bad sense of hope Tesla is giving us.

I just got that today as well (still with a "Late October" delivery).

I believe these are the stages:

1) Sourcing parts
2) Entering the production queue
3) Assigned a production slot
4) Placed on production intake ready list
5) Fixing to get ready
6) Getting ready
7) Preparing VIN assignment
8) VIN assignment pre-preparation queue
9) Ordering catering
10) Oh crap, the car's supposed to be done when??
11) Rushing additional parts from supply chain
12) Smoke break
13) OK seriously, let's get'r'done
14) Tesla complete!
15) .......entering freight slot assignment pre-preparation queue

My status got changed to like many other to the production que. I am very comfortable Tesla will deliver my MS within the next two weeks VIN 498xx. The delay is reasonable IMO and it seems others are not pleased with the delay. Tesla is growing and I see this minor delay as very minor. We have heard something from them. My DS still takes my phone calls, answers my emails and does a decent job of telling me what he knows and not what he can make up.

From some of the reactions I would expect to see headlines like, " Musk and JB off to Mars and Tesla halts production" no way never going to happen IMO. Great company, great car and a very bright future who knows we might one day see headlines like, "Round Trip to Mars with every Tesla purchased" well in my life time "Round Trip to Space..."

It probably means exactly what it says, it has entered the production queue. It's very common to plan ahead exactly when a car will be produced (or any other component), so the production queue could still mean it will be 3 months before they start.

I agree that a status message such as this is not a critical item. My impression from people who have ordered cars with traditional dealers is that the level of detail that Tesla provides is unusual, if not nonexistent, in the traditional car buying market.
My status got changed to like many other to the production que. I am very comfortable Tesla will deliver my MS within the next two weeks VIN 498xx. The delay is reasonable IMO and it seems others are not pleased with the delay. Tesla is growing and I see this minor delay as very minor. We have heard something from them. My DS still takes my phone calls, answers my emails and does a decent job of telling me what he knows and not what he can make up.

From some of the reactions I would expect to see headlines like, " Musk and JB off to Mars and Tesla halts production" no way never going to happen IMO. Great company, great car and a very bright future who knows we might one day see headlines like, "Round Trip to Mars with every Tesla purchased" well in my life time "Round Trip to Space..."

It probably means exactly what it says, it has entered the production queue. It's very common to plan ahead exactly when a car will be produced (or any other component), so the production queue could still mean it will be 3 months before they start.

Seems like reasonable (and experienced) responses. I always appreciate when the first stop is 'assume good intent until proven otherwise'. :)

The question this raises is, what's the point of having this status in addition to "sourcing parts". For example, if sourcing parts is a status that can last for 2 months, and production queue is a status that can last for 2 months, what is the point of having the different status? Does this new status provide useful information, other than that a new status is nice for the buyer?

If we could come up with a rule of thumb (or tease one out of a DS or a factory visit), for what the statuses mean, then we would be able to help out people with that status.

If we could come up with a rule of thumb (or tease one out of a DS or a factory visit), for what the statuses mean, then we would be able to help out people with that status.

"Help out" in what way? I'm missing the intent.

Fwiw, I think way too much importance is being put on some simple status messages that are meant to give you a feel for where you are in the process. Way overthinking. This isn't the first time status messages have been used - when I bought my Roadster in Nov 2010, I'd receive status messages as to progress. I took it as simply a guide to where things were, not something to be interpreted or with double-meaning or anything else. Simply a status message from the factory. Model S have been being built with status messages from Day 1 & I expect my X will have similar status messages when it (someday) enters a production queue. There isn't some new magical meaning to this stuff.

Talk to your DS. They are your best source of information.

There isn't some new magical meaning to this stuff.

Bonnie I agree with everything except your last sentence. This car company is magical! They are putting processes in place to give new owners a "feel" for where their car is in the process. Communication is a powerful tool to keep buyers informed and anticipation in check. I have actually been learning at a high level some of the step in manufacturing process.

Enjoy the Tesla "Grin"

@seanahan the process is far from perfect but they are making progress. Some of the early purchasers only had their order date and fellow owners to guesstimate when their car would be delivered.

Production queue means the specs of your car have been sent from one computer network (Tesla website and ordering) to the other (production). If Tesla's website was hacked or was under attack they wouldn't want this to affect the robots at the factory. Therefore these two networks are most likely disconnected which means they need to regularly move data from one to the other which also explains their unwillingness to make late changes.

Fwiw, I think way too much importance is being put on some simple status messages that are meant to give you a feel for where you are in the process. Way overthinking.

If they aren't meaningful, then what's the point of getting everyone's hopes up?

Simply a status message from the factory.

This seems then that they do have a meaning, it is indicative of the factory status of the build.

There isn't some new magical meaning to this stuff.

But there is *some* meaning, right? It is not completely meaningless.

Talk to your DS. They are your best source of information

There are mixed reports from people as to whether their DS has been helpful. My next call with my DS I will ask exactly what the difference is.

"Help out" in what way? I'm missing the intent.

My thought was this.
1. There is *some* meaning behind those status messages.
2. Tesla has not actually explained what these mean.
3. A community of people could pool together their information and determine, if not an exact rule, then a rule of thumb to decode these, so that new buyers could have a resource to let them know what their DS are not telling them.

Of course, if the statuses have no real meaning, there is no point for us to to do this, but then again, there is no reason for Tesla to update us with them either.