Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S Sequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received this email below. I got lucky number 13 !!! Yippee !!!

==================================================

Thank you for your Model S reservation. The world's first all-electric family sedan has attracted worldwide attention and has clearly accelerated the electrification of the global auto industry. We're certain this will be a superlative vehicle that exceeds your expectations for utility, performance and efficiency.

Many customers have been eager to know their sequence in the Model S reservation list. We're happy to be able to provide that information now.

Your sequence number is R 13

The sequence number consists of two parts: alphabetical and a numerical designation. We are maintaining three lists that determine production sequencing:

Signature Edition: your sequence number is prefaced with the letters SIG. Signature Edition is our special edition inaugural production run, and will be limited to 1,000 vehicles.

Roadster preferential list: your sequence number is prefaced with the letter R. These positions will be at the front of our regular production run, and are designed to thank our Roadster owners for their contribution in making Model S possible. Each Roadster we sell puts us one step closer to developing Model S! You have received Roadster preferential positioning if you are a Roadster owner or received a preferential invitation (friends and family) from one of our existing Roadster owners.

After our Roadster preferential positions, we begin our standard production run, which is denoted by a P indicator.
Your sequence number may not be identical to your vehicle identification number, or VIN. These numbers are designed to keep you apprised of your position, but the actual VIN will not be set until time of production.

We invite you to login to the Tesla Motors Owner's Area - an interactive community for our Roadster and Model S customers.

If you do not already have access to the Owner's Area, you will receive an invite with instructions for logging in.

Thanks,

Elon Musk
Tesla Motors CEO and Product Architect

Last edited:
I'm P 96. If/when they announce specifically what the Sig Edition has I'd likely upgrade, but I'm happy with my number for the time being!

I am in the same situation. I will likely wait until 2010 or 2011 to upgrade to the Signature edition. Even if it fills all 1,000 slots, there will be people occassionally dropping off and asking for a refund. I think it will be possible to get on the Signature edition list even in 2011.

I got P375. If anyone wouldn't mind bumping me into the R group, it would be most sincerely appreciated....

;)

I believe it is too late. Those "R" designations had to be submitted by a certain date like June 1st. We were told to get them in by a deadline. Anyone submitting later, even if you own a Roadster, would be at the end of the line.

I think there are a certain number of R sequence numbers, then it starts at P.

So there is no "P 1".

We know from this list that there is at least an "R 39" and a "P 96".

My guess is that somewhere between that those numbers it changes and goes (example) R 64, R 65, R 66, then P 67, P 68, P 69...

I am in the same situation. I will likely wait until 2010 or 2011 to upgrade to the Signature edition. Even if it fills all 1,000 slots, there will be people occassionally dropping off and asking for a refund. I think it will be possible to get on the Signature edition list even in 2011.

I agree completely. Considering the expected bugs that will be in the first cars rolling off the line, the need to have a spare $35k extra lying around to put into deposit, the means to pay for a fully loaded S (probably at least $80k), and the desire to have a fully loaded S with every option included, it should significantly limit the number of people who want to get the Sig Edition.

I agree completely. Considering the expected bugs that will be in the first cars rolling off the line, the need to have a spare $35k extra lying around to put into deposit, the means to pay for a fully loaded S (probably at least $80k), and the desire to have a fully loaded S with every option included, it should significantly limit the number of people who want to get the Sig Edition.

The first 50 Roadsters had problems with the body panels and other issues.

I think I would rather allow Tesla to produce a few hundred Model S vehicles before I get mine. Let them practice production on other people.

The only valuable car is #1. After that it doesn't matter.

I believe it is too late. Those "R" designations had to be submitted by a certain date like June 1st. We were told to get them in by a deadline. Anyone submitting later, even if you own a Roadster, would be at the end of the line.

I think there are a certain number of R sequence numbers, then it starts at P.

So there is no "P 1".

We know from this list that there is at least an "R 39" and a "P 96".

My guess is that somewhere between that those numbers it changes and goes (example) R 64, R 65, R 66, then P 67, P 68, P 69...

That would be great news for me, but unless there were quite a few signature models sold, I'm not sure that your number sequence works, unless a good number of people pulled out.

I put my order in well after the 500 deposits number was announced (my guess is that my deposit was somewhere in the 600-700 range), but my number is 375. So unless quite a few people bailed (or put $40k down), I would guess that I am the 375th non-owner to put a deposit down.

Either way I'm happy, but it would be nice to know how the sequencing works.

Ryan

Also the owners website has changed slightly.

When I login I have two tabs for my cars. One for the Roadster, which shows my already configured Roadster model.

Then the other tab is for the Model S. Yesterday it had a message along the lines of "future updates to your Model S will be shown here" and not much else.

Based on the changes today, I think they are about to send out an email to give all of the Model S owners access.

Today it has a bunch of pictures of the Model S and the following messages....

===========================

Welcome to the Tesla Motors Owners Area!

The Owners Area is your place to find periodic updates on the Model S program and the work being done to prepare the car for production. In this first update we will acquaint you with the website, where you can communicate with Roadster owners and other Model S reservation holders in the discussion forum. If you have questions specific to Model S please review the recently updated FAQ section or post your question in the forum. A fellow buyer may provide the answer or a Tesla employee may answer it for the benefit of those browsing through the forum.

Let’s take a quick tour of the tabs in the Owners Area.

•insider gallery – View pictures of Tesla Stores, events, and Model S developments.
•resources – This tab contains owner FAQs and a list of known incentives for buying electric vehicles.
•community – Join the discussion forum, and visit the owner gallery where shared owner images and information about upcoming events is stored. The discussion forum is a great place to ask questions, organize local events, and share ways to forward the adoption of electric vehicles.
•news – Read news current developments pertaining to Tesla Motors
•service – This will be your resource for information about your vehicle. Today this information is focused on Roadster, however this area will provide you local phone numbers for your nearest Tesla Store.
•account – The account tab is the place to update your account information. For many of you, we do not have a physical address. We need this from time-to-time to send hardcopy information.

Now you are ready to visit the discussion forum and introduce yourself to fellow enthusiasts. Be sure to read the information in the Roadster area as it will help you understand behaviors unique to an electric vehicle. The discussions might even motivate you to add a Roadster to your garage (if you don't already have one) to help pass the time while you are waiting for your Model S.

The first 50 Roadsters had problems with the body panels and other issues.

I think I would rather allow Tesla to produce a few hundred Model S vehicles before I get mine. Let them practice production on other people.

The only valuable car is #1. After that it doesn't matter.

Yup -- because of those problems with the first few Roadsters, people are going to want to wait until they work out the bugs on the Model S before getting theirs, which will limit the number of people looking for Sig Editions, especially because they'll have to pay top dollar for it. I figure that I'm going to want a fully loaded car anyway, and will live close enough to a service center in Miami that I can deal with a car with some bugs in it, especially given what I've heard about the excellent service they provide.