TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Your one primary reason for buying

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SCW-Greg, Jun 22, 2012.

?

Your main motivator for purchasing the S

1. Expected cost savings in gas and engine maintenance

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Reduce demand on (foreign) oil/geo political

37 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Convenience of charging at home rather than filling up at a gas station

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Environmental benefits

24 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. Performance and acceleration

10 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. Quietness/ride experience

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Seating for 7 people/cargo capacity

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Crash safety rating

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Smart glass cockpit/the very latest technology

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  10. Great body design aesthetic

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

What is your one primary motivator for going EV, buying the Model S ?

1. Expected cost savings in gas and engine maintenance
    2. Reduce demand on (foreign) oil/geo political
    3. Convenience of charging at home rather than filling up at a gas station
    4. Environmental benefits
    5. Performance and acceleration
    6. Quietness/ride experience
    7. Smart glass cockpit/latest technology
    8. Seating for 7 people/cargo capacity
    9. Crash safety rating
    10. Great body design aesthetic

The poll only allows 10 options, if your main motivator isn't on this list, reply with your own reason for buying the model S.

2. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

#2 SCW-Greg, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    What is your one primary motivator for going EV, buying the Model S ?

The poll only allows 10 options, if your main motivator isn't on this list, reply with your own reason for buying the model S.

For those of you who just *can't* vote one... rank these reasons in the order most important to you. :)

3. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I'm not going to lie about this. My one primary reason is the wow factor. I want people to stop me and ask me "What kind of car is that?" and then I can go into my EV talk about the advantages. After that its just that the car is more advanced then all the rest, bar none. It is simply a better car in safety, performance, and efficiency. People can complain about the price tag all they want, but they cannot deny it is the most advanced and efficient car on the road.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I don't expect to save any money on this car. In fact, it will be more expensive to own/operate than any car I would normally purchase. I think, personally, if most people try to argue they will save money in the end or if Tesla tries to convince people that they will save money, then this is fallacy.

The idea of reducing demand on foreign oil is a great one, but I think I am buying this care for two reasons: 1) it is environmentally more friendly and 2) someone has to pave the way to make these cars (EVs) more mainstream. A third, but important, reason is that it looks great compared to other EVs -- and other cars in general!

That's why.

There are "better" ICEs out there, but they are ICEs nevertheless.

5. AndyM

AndyM Member

11. The FUTURE! Future! Future! Future! Future!

6. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I agree with this, I stopped trying to rationalize this as being a smart buy a long time ago. Sure the gas savings will reduce the price of the car the longer you own it. But no matter how you slice it you are paying for a very expensive vehicle. I would imagine most people will have to finance for this car, myself included. My reason also is that I don't want consumer failure to adopt to be the reason EV's die again. They did before and they will again if I don't do something.

That's just how I feel about that.

7. AndyM

AndyM Member

What makes the Model S so compelling is not one feature: it's the combination of all the right features / uses.
    Innovation is not creating something completely new, but the use of existing knowledge and methods in new ways. Tesla does this well.

8. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

Where is the poll?

My main reason was something like the reason I wanted an Iphone:

- it's cool
    - it's leading technology
    - it's cutting edge
    - you get to brag about it

last not least

- it's affordable and useful (this ruled out the roadster, which would have served well on the above criteria)

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#9 NigelM, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  10. raptorweb

raptorweb Member

My primary reason could be close to #2 but it is for my push for self reliance. I don't want to have to depend on an oil company and the prices they set. Currently I will just be switching that over to the electric company but it will be far easier for me to replace them with solar and wind than it would be to directly replace oil.

That being said my 1.1 reason ( cant say 2nd because it is are far to close to the primary ) is #7 on your list

EDIT: also as kevincwelch has said it's the best looking EV out, to me its the only good looking one

11. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Hey thanks all for your quick response... I was trying to figure out how to create a real "poll" when I accidentally posted this first. I have a poll posted now with these same questions, so you can see how others are "voting" too.

But I like the open responses that are coming in here too. Keep em coming. :biggrin:

12. AndyM

AndyM Member

The trouble I have with a single-choice-only poll is that an automobile should not be a single-trick pony.
    Model S is a leader in all categories when compared to other cars, and that's why I'm choosing it.

13. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Thanks Nigel. I looked first to see if this existed, but I missed the one you mentioned.

And I know everyone will want to say "all the above." I'm just curious to know the primary drivers in the purchasing of this vehicle. Wondering how others may be compelled differently than I am in my desire for this car.

14. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I haven't rationalized that cost savings makes the Model S a good buy. But I HAVE rationalized that cost savings makes the Models S not a horrible buy!

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

All of the above. Really. :smile:

16. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I'm with that. In a sentence "it's just so damn smart"... Battery placement, motor placement, no gears, no gas, storage solutions... all of it. Option #12 after Andy's.

17. AndyM

AndyM Member

How about a top three most important reasons?
    Can you do that with a poll here?

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Voted "Smart glass cockpit/the very latest technology" as it's the one that comes closest to my real reason: the "cool-kid-on-the-block-with-that-really-fancy-car" factor :biggrin: Of course, it helps that the car's perfect for a treehugger such as myself!

19. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I have 2 and 4 year-old boys. I don't want them getting drafted in 15 years because some unfriendly country has cut off our oil supply and we have to take it from them because we never learned how to live without it/with less of it.

Our dependance on oil is our single biggest national security liability.

20. thelastdeadmouse

Plastics, medicine, fertilizer, adhesives, electronics, and the existence of about every other synthetic thing that we're surrounded by every day is dependent on not just oil, but cheap available oil. Its too important to burn.