Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your opinion regarding my CPO experience

Which of these issues cause you the most concern?

• Wiper blade and fluid issues being missed at inspection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Missing mobile charger and the fact that they didn't even notice.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi gents and ladies,

I would like to get your opinion regarding my CPO experience at Chicago. I'm a first time Tesla owner and the following issues aside I'm absolutely stoked with my car.

1. With CPO cars your delivery advisor sends you pictures which have the visual inspector's notes underneath highlighting the condition and any noticable damage. I checked out 4 MS before settling on mind. The one I got was the only one which had very low res pics in a Dropbox folder with no notes. As luck would have it, the car came with large scratches on the front bumper which were invisible in said pics and we're therefore undisclosed prior to delivery. To Tesla's credit, after a little haggling they agreed to refinish the damage.
2. The windshield wipers seem worn out and the fluid was all used up. I replaced the fluid myself and will double check the wipers on the next rainy day.
3. The steering wheel was misaligned, meaning if I kept it dead straight the car deviated right. I immediately booked a service appointment to have that fixed.
4. The car wasn't factory reset, meaning that I could see a LOT of the previous owner's information, including home address, previous destinations (lots of country clubs and golf courses, lol), driver profile, homelink, Bluetooth devices, driving habits and kWh/mi usage, etc. Upon asking at delivery time, they told me that cars are only factory reset when sold as new. This of course makes no sense, or does it?
5. Car was initially a 60D, then unlocked to 75D. The only reason I find out if that they left the original 60D badge on at delivery. Not a big deal (they changed it upon my request), but I expect them to be upfront about this prior to sale.
6. The car didn't come with the mobile charger. Even the delivery team seemed surprised. They promptly brought me a new one, so no issues there. But how could they miss this at inspection or delivery prep?

It's only my 3rd day and my car is at the SC being worked on primarily for the steering wheel issues. I'll be clear, I love the car (great deal on a 2016 facelift MS 75D with EAP and low mileage) and after uncorking and some detailing it will be a dream. I'm just concerned about the Tesla's multipoint inspection and CPO advertisement (did my car even get inspected). I'm afraid they might have missed other things (I'm talking about mechanical issues; I know they don't cover disclosed cosmetic issues) that I'll find later, and while the 4 year warranty gives me some peace of mind it is a hassle to make multiple SC appointments.

Do you guys think this is par for the course? I look forward to your opinions. Thank you.

The most important thing is that they agreed to fix the damage to your car (as they really should).

Everything else your service center can fix so I would not worry too much about that. You will love the car! When buying a CPO car, you just need to make sure they are not trying to offload a beat-up/damaged car and seems you already took care of that by insisting they fix the paint damage.

Last edited:
Welcome to Tesla! Great to see another Chicago Tesla fan.
If you dont mind me asking, how much was this CPO 75D?
I am curious as I am still contemplating to trade-in/sell my 2016 75D and get a 100D (Mine is a 70D upgraded to 75D also refresh model, with low mileage). (Being from Chicago, it almost sounded you were describing my Tesla, although mine is pristine ;)

The most important thing is that they agreed to fix the damage to your car (as they really should).

Everything else your service center can fix so I would not worry too much about that. You will love the car! When buying a CPO car, you just need to make sure they are not trying to offload a beat-up/damaged car and seems you already took care of that by insisting they fix the paint damage.

Thanks Phil. I agree. Car is at the SC now. Let's see if they make this right :).

Welcome to Tesla! Great to see another Chicago Tesla fan.
If you dont mind me asking, how much was this CPO 75D?
I am curious as I am still contemplating to trade-in/sell my 2016 75D and get a 100D (Mine is a 70D upgraded to 75D also refresh model, with low mileage). (Being from Chicago, it almost sounded you were describing my Tesla, although mine is pristine ;)

Hi Voyager, I paid just shy of 70k for an AP HW2 car with low mileage. I expected higher CPO standards from Tesla for the price as I was also looking at similarly priced CPO MB S-Class as an alternative and their standards were much higher. But so far I'm impressed with Tesla's SC team and hope to have a pristine car myself soon! Best of luck with your decision. I'm driving a 2018 100D as a loaner right now and it's fantastic!

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
Hi Voyager, I paid just shy of 70k for an AP HW2 car with low mileage. I expected higher CPO standards from Tesla for the price as I was also looking at similarly priced CPO MB S-Class as an alternative and their standards were much higher. But so far I'm impressed with Tesla's SC team and hope to have a pristine car myself soon! Best of luck with your decision. I'm driving a 2018 100D as a loaner right now and it's fantastic!

The good news is tell them you are keeping the 100D until they make your 75D right :p

@Fhai
Thanks for all the details about various issues on a CPO. I am also considering buying a 2016 CPO in San Francisco Bay Area. As you pointed out, the pictures they share on dropbox are not high res and its very hard to ensure that there isn't any cosmetic issue with the car. Where can I see the disclosure on the CPO car before buying? Is there anything like CarMax to see number of previous owners and damage/accidents on the car?

Hi! Here is my advice for a better CPO experience.
1. Some CPOs have really good pictures and decent inspection notes, while others don't. Request photos for as many cars through their website as possible. You're lucky; few days ago you only got CPO pics after you make your deposit. Now you can request as many as you can.
2. Once you place a refundable deposit on a vehicle, your delivery advisor will contact you (a few days later in my experience) and will go over your vehicle. Ask them for a Carfax and service history. Mine was very helpful and went through many vehicles after asking what features I was looking for.
3. Unlike me, do NOT feel any obligation to buy your first choice if you've feel uncomfortable with the pictures and notes (I went through multiple vehicle's). Your deposit can be refunded or transferred to a different vehicle.
4. Request if Tesla can fix any minor cosmetic issues for free; Tesla is usually very reasonable but they only fix damage (they never promise, unless damage is undisclosed prior) once they are sure you have bought and have taken delivery.
5. If applying for a loan through Tesla, apply AFTER you have finally determined which vehicle you want. Though the loan is also somewhat transferrable between vehicles, unlike the deposit your loan terms change with any VIN change even if it is the same price.
6. At delivery either do a VERY thorough inspection yourself or take someone experienced in doing so. This is the last chance you have to refuse your vehicle if anything is wrong. Ask for a test drive before taking delivery; I didn't and I missed out on my steering wheel issue until I left the SC.

I hope this helps. I got lucky and even after these mistakes I got a very good deal. Good luck!

1. Some CPOs have really good pictures and decent inspection notes, while others don't. Request photos for as many cars through their website as possible. You're lucky; few days ago you only got CPO pics after you make your deposit. Now you can request as many as you can.......!
Thank you so much, this is very very helpful!

Reactions: doofenshmirtz
1. Some CPOs have really good pictures and decent inspection notes, while others don't. Request photos for as many cars through their website as possible. You're lucky; few days ago you only got CPO pics after you make your deposit. Now you can request as many as you can.
2. Once you place a refundable deposit on a vehicle, your delivery advisor will contact you (a few days later in my experience) and will go over your vehicle. Ask them for a Carfax and service history. Mine was very helpful and went through many vehicles after asking what features I was looking for.
3. Unlike me, do NOT feel any obligation to buy your first choice if you've feel uncomfortable with the pictures and notes (I went through multiple vehicle's). Your deposit can be refunded or transferred to a different vehicle.
4. Request if Tesla can fix any minor cosmetic issues for free; Tesla is usually very reasonable but they only fix damage (they never promise, unless damage is undisclosed prior) once they are sure you have bought and have taken delivery.
5. If applying for a loan through Tesla, apply AFTER you have finally determined which vehicle you want. Though the loan is also somewhat transferrable between vehicles, unlike the deposit your loan terms change with any VIN change even if it is the same price.
6. At delivery either do a VERY thorough inspection yourself or take someone experienced in doing so. This is the last chance you have to refuse your vehicle if anything is wrong. Ask for a test drive before taking delivery; I didn't and I missed out on my steering wheel issue until I left the SC.

I hope this helps. I got lucky and even after these mistakes I got a very good deal. Good luck!
that's odd. My used vehicle advisor emphasized the "NON"refundable deposit.

that's odd. My used vehicle advisor emphasized the "NON"refundable deposit.

Based on what we've read on the forums it seems to go both ways.

More of the awful experience they have created for people who buy CPO cars.

It's bad enough how they are selling damaged cars without posting actual photos of the car being sold or the damage but I can't imagine how they can then refuse to give someone's refund back because the car they are selling is in such poor shape that the customer does not want to buy the car.

Based on what we've read on the forums it seems to go both ways.

More of the awful experience they have created for people who buy CPO cars.

It's bad enough how they are selling damaged cars without posting actual photos of the car being sold or the damage but I can't imagine how they can then refuse to give someone's refund back because the car they are selling is in such poor shape that the customer does not want to buy the car.

I agree with Phil here. I had 3 separate deposits down, my advisor refunded one and transferred one to my final car. Maybe they changed some policy after enabling photo downloads prior to deposits; I had to pay a deposit every time I wanted a car's photo, which was ridiculous and I would have definitely not done that if they were not refundable. I would have definitely gotten all my deposits back if I hadn't found the final car which I ended up buying.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
That's crazy... I viewed more than 15+ cars with never having paid a deposit! This is a definite case of YMMV with regards to the level of customer service that your Used Car Advisor gives.

The problem is when we have emailed about cars without putting down a deposit it was about a 50/50 chance whether they would send photos.

Ironically on the deposit page, they have text there stating that you have looked at the photos and accept the condition of the car but they don't say how you are supposed to figure out the condition of the car if they don't send you photos or allow you to inspect or test drive the car.

"Viewed" as in physically looked at 15+ cars?

No, not in-person viewed. I was able to receive (what would have been) endless amounts of dropbox links or the newer "wegolook" higher resolution picture links... without ever having put a deposit down! Definitely different tactics being employed by the Used Car Advisors.

Also, my delivery experience was quite up-front as well. I was able to view and drive the car around the delivery lot (low speed, not to exceed 25 MPH) before having even sat down to discuss or talk about the paperwork/money side of the house (well, I paid the $2,500 order payment).

A follow-up to my OP:

Tesla SC took care of all of my concerns within 3 business days, and also performed a courtesy inspection and repair to a problem I hadn't noticed yet. I walk away from this experience with this impression: the CPO route with Tesla is risky and requires full diligence on the buyer's part, but Tesla does try to make its customers happy within reasonable limitations. I'm happy with my choice in car and manufacturer :)

A follow-up to my OP:

Tesla SC took care of all of my concerns within 3 business days, and also performed a courtesy inspection and repair to a problem I hadn't noticed yet. I walk away from this experience with this impression: the CPO route with Tesla is risky and requires full diligence on the buyer's part, but Tesla does try to make its customers happy within reasonable limitations. I'm happy with my choice in car and manufacturer :)

Congrats and that is great news!

We love our SC and they are great with taking care of customers after purchase.

Totally agree with you that when buying a CPO you must do your inspection/diligence and be prepared to reject any damaged cars.