Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Personal Experience with Navigate on Auto Pilot - Dallas, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I recently ordered the Model 3 and am curious as to what your experience has been like using EAP in Dallas, TX and the surrounding areas.

Has it been pretty accurate? Is it good in HOV/express lanes?

Any insight would be great!

I have not used Navigate on Auotpilot yet because the route the navigation picks for my daily work commute is not the one I drive. However I use the EAP everyday for the segment involving Central Expressway. It works great in my experience and makes the stop and go commute a lot less stressful. However It is NOT license to play on your phone and be situationally unaware. The car cannot totally anticipate driver stupidity. My experience is based on a 2018 Model S.

I was heading to the service center yesterday without NAV on AP and my car started moving into the forks along 183 for the toll lane. I am not sure what its plan was, but I took over instantly. One of my biggest beefs with autopilot is that it acts weird with forks in the road and should stay with whatever line is straight. That is the most concerning behavior I have sen with autopilot so far, but it can be annoying when your car brakes automatically if someone intrudes into your follow distance especially when greater than 1. You can nudge the accelerator in cases like this without disengaging autopilot, but always be ready to take over if it is acting funny. Lane changes are really slow also so have lots of room or do it yourself. I went from Waco to my exit in Fort Worth without disengaging autopilot on my road trip, and autopilot does not require nudging the wheel in bumper to bumper traffic.

My car is at the service center for now and I just downloaded NAV on AP this morning. Hoping it doesn't take too long to address some paint issues mine had. My chrysler 300 rental is like a giant outdated boat even though its basically brand new. They are still way behind. I have no idea what all the buttons do and am tempted to just drive my old scion instead.

I tend to stay up in the north, along 121 and the tollway and NOA works quite well. Traveling southbound on the tollway, from Frisco, to northbound 121, for example, it prompts me well in advance to move to the right in anticipation of the 121 exit. The car then automatically signals and takes the 121 exit, successfully navigating the split where one chooses 121 northbound or southbound. Then, when the exit ramp merges with the people going from northbound tollway onto northbound 121, NOA successfully manages the merge, slowing and leaving a space for the car in front to slip in.

I wish NOA were even more aggressive about recognizing lanes that were moving faster and prompting me to move into them. It seems to recognize such opportunities about half the time.

All in all, I'm very happy with NOA up here in the Frisco/McKinney area.

Not pleased with NOA at all in Plano/Richardson area. The entrance/exit at GBTP and Jupiter is short, and never works well (or at all) for me. I've had it work OK at Coit & GBTP, but only a couple times. More often than not it's trying to get me to merge into a lane that I can see is about to end.

For my commute from McKinney to Richardson, it's ok. It tells me to hop off and on 75 at Parker and when I don't because it's not faster NOA goes away. Also it's can't take the Renner exit properly, ever.

It also never takes the on ramp in McKinney properly either.

It's fine for longer stretches like driving to DFW but I generally don't use it because I know where I'm going

I've had great luck with it going from Grand Prairie to Fort Worth using navigate on Autopilot. It takes the 360 North ramp well. Then 114 as long as you're in the right lane of the 2 exit lanes. Lastly it does the 170 exit well. In some cases it does slow down a bit more than needed as the exit is starting which can be a bit uncomfortable in traffic (50mph which isn't too bad), but the slow-down and speed up seems more smooth since the most recent update which helps.
On the way home I usually take 114SE to 360S to 183E to 161S to i30 or i20 and all exit well. 360 to 183 is a big 270 degree curve and it takes it at about 30mph and does well. In some cases it's best to get over manually on the exchanges because it is such a short length to take the correct fork. For the Beltline exit off of i30 it misses it unless you manually exit, but it's because the exit was moved back compared to where the map system thinks it is.

I tend to stay up in the north, along 121 and the tollway and NOA works quite well. Traveling southbound on the tollway, from Frisco, to northbound 121, for example, it prompts me well in advance to move to the right in anticipation of the 121 exit. The car then automatically signals and takes the 121 exit, successfully navigating the split where one chooses 121 northbound or southbound. Then, when the exit ramp merges with the people going from northbound tollway onto northbound 121, NOA successfully manages the merge, slowing and leaving a space for the car in front to slip in.

I wish NOA were even more aggressive about recognizing lanes that were moving faster and prompting me to move into them. It seems to recognize such opportunities about half the time.

All in all, I'm very happy with NOA up here in the Frisco/McKinney area.

Are exits coming up within the next 1-3 miles when it's not suggesting faster lanes? It seems to rarely suggest these the closer you get to an exit. On a long roadtrip from Colorado to Texas, it was quite aggressive in suggesting the faster lane even if the other lane wasn't the left lane and it was only slightly faster.