Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your S75D does 0-60 in 4.2, no it doesn't, yes it does, no it doesn't, yes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friends,

This thread follows up on a post in a different thread, and provides the whole saga of my journey to 4.2; it wasn't pretty, but it wasn't as ugly as it has been for others. I'm posting all this here, in case it's useful for others who might be in the same boat.

Back in July, I took delivery of a really pretty red used S75D from Tesla, manufactured in November 2016. The Tesla used car web page said it did 0-60 in 4.2 seconds when I bought it; awesome. For the first couple of months, I really enjoyed the performance, but then I stumbled across a thread suggesting that some/many S75Ds could be "uncorked" to deliver 0-60 in 4.2 seconds instead of 5.2 seconds, through a software update. Some folks suggested that even cars sold as doing 0-60 in 4.2 seconds actually were doing it in 5.2 seconds and still needed uncorking.

So, I started testing. Sure enough, when I video recorded the speedometer during a 0-60 repeatedly, I could never get the time below 5 seconds. So, I requested a service visit for my car to be uncorked.

The day before the service was scheduled, I got a text message saying, "the pack you have is not capable of being uncorked." At which point, I said, "um, so, my car was sold to me as doing 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and I have the screen shots to prove it." The service rep asked if I had a screen shot of that, which I did (ALWAYS GET A SCREENSHOT). Now, he was like... "oh, I will need a little time to figure this out," and then basically cancelled my appointment. "Usually, these changes are handled over-the-air. I have done these upgrades in the past and a physical connection to the car is never needed." (Yeah...)

At this point, I got in touch with my sales rep, whom I still really like. After I sent her the screen shot (because she said that, post-sale, she couldn't see the specs), she apparently got in touch with some engineer and had an update pushed to my car to uncork the car. She seemed certain it was done.

I was hopeful, but driving the car the next day, I couldn't tell any difference. I contacted the local Tesla service center rep, and he said that someone had done something, and "today your car is completely different." He seemed sure that my car could do 0-60 in 4.2, and even suggested I take it to a local track to try it. Though possible, this was inconvenient. I did more video recorded speedometer runs, all still north of 5 seconds. Then, I came across a post talking about the Teslemetry app, and I bought that, and--sure enough--5.2 seconds.

Through the same posts, I learned about a fellow forum user who had a similar problem (S75D sold as 4.2 but delivering only 5.2), and who ultimately had to send Tesla a letter promising recourse to the state consumer affairs bureau if they did not rectify the issue. THAT got some attention and, eventually, Tesla fixed his problem by (among other things) replacing the "Pyro Fuse Pack" with a new version. Was THAT what I needed?

I made a new appointment for a service visit, this time including the Teslemetry result and specifying the Fuse Pack replacement as a possible solution. The same Tesla service rep seemed surprised to hear from me again, as though I'd been hallucinating about my car's performance. He even AGAIN canceled my service visit, saying they would look at my car's data remotely, and scheduling the car for a service center visit five days later.

I dropped the car off on a Tuesday; for the first time out of three service center visits (the first two were for other things), they gave me a loaner instead of Uber credits, and I should have known that meant something. At the end of the day, when I contacted the SC, they said they were backed up and hadn't even looked at the car. (Grrr...)

Finally, the next day, they started looking at the data from the car. By then, I'd provided a SECOND Teslemetry snap showing another 5.2 0-60, and they asked for specifics on when those runs were captured (presumably to find them in the car's data stream). During a phone call when they asked for some other info, the SC rep concurred that the car SHOULD do 0-60 in 4.2 (whew), but felt that the Fuse Pack was among the least likely issues. That was toward the end of the day (a Wednesday), so they kept the car again overnight.

The next day, I checked the Tesla app again after noon, and I was surprised to see that the car was projected to be available at the end of the day. When I texted with the SC, they said that--despite the earlier uncorking attempt and despite the earlier SC rep's assertion that the configuration of the car had completely changed overnight because of it--the performance setting had NOT been changed from the basic P3 to the added performance P1 setting. In a voicemail I discovered later, I learned that apparently the OTA update hadn't fully worked and that the SC needed to attach a laptop directly to the car to make it work (remember the SC rep who'd said, "a physical connection to the car is never needed.") Great!

So, I took the loaner to the SC, dropped it off, and found my car. I'm a very conservative Tesla driver, aside from on-ramps, merging, and things like that; I like to save my fun! So, I went a couple of blocks before trying to see if it worked. (Before I tell you, let me say that my sales rep told me that the difference wasn't necessarily as noticeable as you might think. Heh.)

HOLY F--K!

That's what I thought to myself as I took my foot off the accelerator. I was genuinely nervous. I'd gone just part of a block, and I was genuinely shocked. I know, it's not a P (which I've driven). But, the car had changed completely. WHAT was my sales rep THINKING?!

OK, I'll stop. Many of you know exactly what I'm talking about, and many more of you have never known the absence of the bliss.

So, what do I take from this. First, if your S75D is doing 0-60 in north of 5 seconds, and you have any doubt that it might be uncorkable to 4.2, you should pursue it. Second, if your car was SOLD as doing 4.2 and it can't get to 60 below 5 seconds, go after Tesla hard to make it right; I was trying to keep my powder dry, but was totally prepared to get a lawyer. Third, if they DO try an uncorking and it doesn't seem to work, get them to try again, including through a laptop at the SC. Fourth, don't blindly trust what the online sale ticket says; it may not be 100% right. Finally, if you're buying a used Tesla FROM Tesla, get screenshots of EVERYTHING before you hit the button that puts down your deposit. After that, you can't get those back (except possibly through the excellent EV-CPO).

I am happy that this worked out as it did, angry that the car I spent $54K on didn't arrive as advertised, and grateful that I didn't have to wait for a hardware update. I still haven't been able to do another Teslemetry test (tomorrow), but this thing is a beast now.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Todd

Tesla did most of their S/X owners a solid by offering many of them free upgrades to the latest much faster specification. Only some of their previous production were possible to update, so Tesla had owners call in their VINs and they were notified if it was a go/no-go for them to upgrade.

Later existing customers and new/used buyers became a royal pain in the ASS by demanding that EVERYBODY get the upgrade, extended to the lucky ones.

True. Lots of confusion in the Uncorking proceedures. Many claimed uncorked, but were only uncorkable. Until Service center (or sometimes Ranger) plugged in their computers it was never certain if it would take.

Many of the employees dealing with this issue now were not working for Tesla when this transition took place. Lots of nuances.

OP just got caught up in all this. Glad it finally worked out.

@TigerNinety Glad it worked out for you eventually!

When I bought my June 2016 75D in early July last year, I specifically asked that it be uncorked before delivery and the sales rep assured me it would be taken care of.

I had the car for about 10 months ignorant in my bliss that it was uncorked. After reading a bunch of posts here about Tesla claiming to have performed the procedure before delivery and owners finding out that wasn't the case I decided to put in a service request via the app to get it done. I didn't measure the acceleration time or anything like that.

I got a response back by text fairly soon that my car is eligible and can be uncorked, but it requires a ranger visit as they have to plug in their laptop to the car and upgrade the firmware which isn't possible over the air for this specific upgrade.

After the upgrade (less than a week after I submitted the service request) I could immediately feel the difference in the cars acceleration. It was very, very obvious. Now on a roll out when you floor the throttle, you are kicked back in the seat and the car lunges forward - it's such a big difference - it felt I got a new car!! It's an improvement of over 20% in horsepower (80Hp).

Reactions: RaymondNoodles
Just to close this out...

IMG_4350.jpeg

Friends,

This thread follows up on a post in a different thread, and provides the whole saga of my journey to 4.2; it wasn't pretty, but it wasn't as ugly as it has been for others. I'm posting all this here, in case it's useful for others who might be in the same boat.

Back in July, I took delivery of a really pretty red used S75D from Tesla, manufactured in November 2016. The Tesla used car web page said it did 0-60 in 4.2 seconds when I bought it; awesome. For the first couple of months, I really enjoyed the performance, but then I stumbled across a thread suggesting that some/many S75Ds could be "uncorked" to deliver 0-60 in 4.2 seconds instead of 5.2 seconds, through a software update. Some folks suggested that even cars sold as doing 0-60 in 4.2 seconds actually were doing it in 5.2 seconds and still needed uncorking.

So, I started testing. Sure enough, when I video recorded the speedometer during a 0-60 repeatedly, I could never get the time below 5 seconds. So, I requested a service visit for my car to be uncorked.

The day before the service was scheduled, I got a text message saying, "the pack you have is not capable of being uncorked." At which point, I said, "um, so, my car was sold to me as doing 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and I have the screen shots to prove it." The service rep asked if I had a screen shot of that, which I did (ALWAYS GET A SCREENSHOT). Now, he was like... "oh, I will need a little time to figure this out," and then basically cancelled my appointment. "Usually, these changes are handled over-the-air. I have done these upgrades in the past and a physical connection to the car is never needed." (Yeah...)

At this point, I got in touch with my sales rep, whom I still really like. After I sent her the screen shot (because she said that, post-sale, she couldn't see the specs), she apparently got in touch with some engineer and had an update pushed to my car to uncork the car. She seemed certain it was done.

I was hopeful, but driving the car the next day, I couldn't tell any difference. I contacted the local Tesla service center rep, and he said that someone had done something, and "today your car is completely different." He seemed sure that my car could do 0-60 in 4.2, and even suggested I take it to a local track to try it. Though possible, this was inconvenient. I did more video recorded speedometer runs, all still north of 5 seconds. Then, I came across a post talking about the Teslemetry app, and I bought that, and--sure enough--5.2 seconds.

Through the same posts, I learned about a fellow forum user who had a similar problem (S75D sold as 4.2 but delivering only 5.2), and who ultimately had to send Tesla a letter promising recourse to the state consumer affairs bureau if they did not rectify the issue. THAT got some attention and, eventually, Tesla fixed his problem by (among other things) replacing the "Pyro Fuse Pack" with a new version. Was THAT what I needed?

I made a new appointment for a service visit, this time including the Teslemetry result and specifying the Fuse Pack replacement as a possible solution. The same Tesla service rep seemed surprised to hear from me again, as though I'd been hallucinating about my car's performance. He even AGAIN canceled my service visit, saying they would look at my car's data remotely, and scheduling the car for a service center visit five days later.

I dropped the car off on a Tuesday; for the first time out of three service center visits (the first two were for other things), they gave me a loaner instead of Uber credits, and I should have known that meant something. At the end of the day, when I contacted the SC, they said they were backed up and hadn't even looked at the car. (Grrr...)

Finally, the next day, they started looking at the data from the car. By then, I'd provided a SECOND Teslemetry snap showing another 5.2 0-60, and they asked for specifics on when those runs were captured (presumably to find them in the car's data stream). During a phone call when they asked for some other info, the SC rep concurred that the car SHOULD do 0-60 in 4.2 (whew), but felt that the Fuse Pack was among the least likely issues. That was toward the end of the day (a Wednesday), so they kept the car again overnight.

The next day, I checked the Tesla app again after noon, and I was surprised to see that the car was projected to be available at the end of the day. When I texted with the SC, they said that--despite the earlier uncorking attempt and despite the earlier SC rep's assertion that the configuration of the car had completely changed overnight because of it--the performance setting had NOT been changed from the basic P3 to the added performance P1 setting. In a voicemail I discovered later, I learned that apparently the OTA update hadn't fully worked and that the SC needed to attach a laptop directly to the car to make it work (remember the SC rep who'd said, "a physical connection to the car is never needed.") Great!

So, I took the loaner to the SC, dropped it off, and found my car. I'm a very conservative Tesla driver, aside from on-ramps, merging, and things like that; I like to save my fun! So, I went a couple of blocks before trying to see if it worked. (Before I tell you, let me say that my sales rep told me that the difference wasn't necessarily as noticeable as you might think. Heh.)

HOLY F--K!

That's what I thought to myself as I took my foot off the accelerator. I was genuinely nervous. I'd gone just part of a block, and I was genuinely shocked. I know, it's not a P (which I've driven). But, the car had changed completely. WHAT was my sales rep THINKING?!

OK, I'll stop. Many of you know exactly what I'm talking about, and many more of you have never known the absence of the bliss.

So, what do I take from this. First, if your S75D is doing 0-60 in north of 5 seconds, and you have any doubt that it might be uncorkable to 4.2, you should pursue it. Second, if your car was SOLD as doing 4.2 and it can't get to 60 below 5 seconds, go after Tesla hard to make it right; I was trying to keep my powder dry, but was totally prepared to get a lawyer. Third, if they DO try an uncorking and it doesn't seem to work, get them to try again, including through a laptop at the SC. Fourth, don't blindly trust what the online sale ticket says; it may not be 100% right. Finally, if you're buying a used Tesla FROM Tesla, get screenshots of EVERYTHING before you hit the button that puts down your deposit. After that, you can't get those back (except possibly through the excellent EV-CPO).

I am happy that this worked out as it did, angry that the car I spent $54K on didn't arrive as advertised, and grateful that I didn't have to wait for a hardware update. I still haven't been able to do another Teslemetry test (tomorrow), but this thing is a beast now.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Todd
Hey Todd, thanks for sharing. I’m having the exact same issue right now! After much argument between Tesla service, sale and engineering, they pushed an OTA upgrade. I have no idea if it worked or not but my car is throwing BMS error codes now. BMS_u024 vehicle configuration mismatch. Not sure what to do but they didn’t change any hardware on my car. I have the 2016 05/16 refreshed Tesla Model S 75D. Is new hardware really needed?! Mine was advertised as 4.2s when I bought off the CPO site. I have screenshots with my VIN

Hey Todd, thanks for sharing. I’m having the exact same issue right now! After much argument between Tesla service, sale and engineering, they pushed an OTA upgrade. I have no idea if it worked or not but my car is throwing BMS error codes now. BMS_u024 vehicle configuration mismatch. Not sure what to do but they didn’t change any hardware on my car. I have the 2016 05/16 refreshed Tesla Model S 75D. Is new hardware really needed?! Mine was advertised as 4.2s when I bought off the CPO site. I have screenshots with my VIN
Hello.
Few months ago asked at Tesla Service for uncorking my S70D. They sad it is possible after battery upgrading to 75D. Battery upgrade was done in 2 days after the payment and then asked for uncorking. Waited a few weeks to happen. After a while i got a Software update over the air and nothing happened(no more power, not uncorked) and got error displayerd the BMS_u024 vehichle configuration mismatch... Visited the service center to check the error. They said it is not possible uncorking because hardware is not supporting it and they reverted back to standard. Did you able to solve your uncorking problem?

Hello.
Few months ago asked at Tesla Service for uncorking my S70D. They sad it is possible after battery upgrading to 75D. Battery upgrade was done in 2 days after the payment and then asked for uncorking. Waited a few weeks to happen. After a while i got a Software update over the air and nothing happened(no more power, not uncorked) and got error displayerd the BMS_u024 vehichle configuration mismatch... Visited the service center to check the error. They said it is not possible uncorking because hardware is not supporting it and they reverted back to standard. Did you able to solve your uncorking problem?
Hello all,

Apologies if I missed an earlier question a year ago or so. I think I was at the start of mourning the loss of our Tesla, totaled in a hit and run. Still haven't managed to afford another one, but still hoping for it....

Anyway, first, although I'd read about 70Ds that were battery-upgraded to 75Ds and then uncorked, my sense was that was among the most hit-or-miss of the prospects. Second, as I was working to get my case solved (and I did), I did a lot of reading of the original posts on this board (like ALL of them) about the uncorking and it certainly sounded as though there was a pyro-fuse kit (or something like that) that had to be replaced on the early cars, in addition to a software upgrade. When I was having my troubles getting my car uncorked, they told me that that was not the issue in my case. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it was neither a "regular" software update NOR a pushed software update that ultimately worked. After the latter failed to make a difference, I took the car in to the service center and they had to do the software update physically connected to the car (with a laptop, I think). The over-the-air update hadn't "taken"; it hadn't switched one of the parameters from corked to uncorked.

So, with all that said, if you haven't had them push the update to the car physically at the service center, you might try that next.

Good luck!

Todd

Glad you were able to get this done. My very first Tesla was a S75D made also in Nov of 2016, and when I had that thing uncorked I also noticed a huge difference. It just pulled WAY harder from a standstill. Motor made a cooler sound when flooring it. Very fun.

If anyone has a car eligible for this, do it. It's totally worth it and it'll make a bigger difference than you are probably imagining.