Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Tesla's value just dropped about 4-5k overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for the mcu not being retrofittable where was this determined? wk057 changed his car to appear yellow in the display, added P Parts and software and swapped batteries. When I hear him say it's not retrofittable I will believe it.

wk057 converted a non-AP to AP. Despite that fact, AP is not a retrofit. "wk"057 is called a "wiz-kid" for a reason. Something is a retrofit when Tesla, or arguably aftermarket places, offer it as such.. We know Tesla will not be offering the MCU retrofit and it seems unlikely anyone else will for some time, if at all. But there's little doubt wk057 can do it.

Reactions: Got-EMF
A couple months from now, people will start to ask if the car has the new mcu when they are shopping for a used tesla s/x. They will also pay a premium to have the new mcu and if the difference between the old mcu and new is 5k, i would bet they pay the premium.

Let’s be real, everyones car that got delivered in the past 30 days without the new mcu got shafted. Just like the thousand others who got shafted before them months ago.

I think no possible retrofit drives the value down more. I agree that facelift vs nosecone was a major change in looks. AP2 still isn't on par with AP1. And the Battery was just another option. Some may prefer a smaller battery, nosecone, and AP1. But no one prefers a slower MCU. This new MCU really does change the experience of the car. The freaking browser actually works now. Maps actually load without having to wait for minutes.
What are you doing that you need a faster MCU? My MCU can do 0-60 in 2.5 sec o_O:confused:

I put my car in reverse the camera comes up. Press a button things work. I’ll take my completely functional MCU and real leather perforated seats over the vegan option which I don’t prefer. My “slow” MCU is fast enough for me. I will say the only thing that I think is stupid and slow is the Easter egg menu.

As for a browser I use my iPhone. All my passwords saved, bookmarks linked etc.

Reactions: Got-EMF
A couple months from now, people will start to ask if the car has the new mcu when they are shopping for a used tesla s/x. They will also pay a premium to have the new mcu and if the difference between the old mcu and new is 5k, i would bet they pay the premium.

Let’s be real, everyones car that got delivered in the past 30 days without the new mcu got shafted. Just like the thousand others who got shafted before them months ago.
Everyone knows Tesla continually improves the cars. It’s been that way since the earliest Model S (such as mine that didn’t have parking sensors or auto folding mirrors-- but if I had waited a month I could have had those features). If you don’t like that concept, don’t buy it.

This looks like an aftermarket business:
HSR Motors

Interesting - thanks. This part is really interesting:

Service Examples
  • Upgrades for Tesla Vehicles
    • Battery Upgrades (all variants)
    • Performance Upgrades (OEM and HSR specific)
    • Other hardware retrofits (sensors, autopilot v1, seats, etc)

Does that man they will retrofit AP1 on a classic like wk057 did? If so, I wonder what it costs?

Reactions: MelaniainLA

I imagine the following two scenarios:

Tesla dominates the CPO market, and has two used cars to sell. They are both identical. Meanwhile, they have two buyers who want a Tesla and are willing to pay $50K each. Tesla sets the price of both cars at $50K, and both sell.

Now Tesla has two used cars to sell, but one has more features than the other. Otherwise, they are both identical, as above. They have the same two buyers who are willing to spend up to $50K on their coveted Tesla status symbol.

How do you price those cars? You can't price them both identically, because then only one will sell: nobody is going to pay the same price for an inferior car when viewed side-by-side. So the inferior car must sell at an inferior price. The superior car won't sell at more than $50K, so the inferior car must sell for less: $47K.

The second buyer would accept nothing less than a discount on the inferior car; otherwise they'd just wait around for the next superior model to come up, and buy that for the same $50K, getting a much better deal.

So here you have an example where resale value has nothing to do with the objective utility of a car in isolation, but everything to do with the relative ranking of two cars when compared side by side, forcing the price lower from the top of the market down. Any car which has moved down in rank has lost $3K in resale value; poof.